I need breakfast ideas

Options
I don't have time to make breakfast at home.. so it is usually not until I get to work. I am getting ready for lap band surgery and so I have to cut out the oatmeal and even some of the cereal.. I need breakfast ideas bad. We have a microwave at work but that is about all.

Replies

• MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How about slimfast?
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    plain non fat greek yogurt with berries
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    smoothies are a great way to get in some nutrients :)
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt makes for a good breakfast... with all the different flavors I fond I don't get sick of it... it's only 80 calories, so it's not a lot for breakfast, but it is filling... it's small, so you can wasily just put it in your coat pocken on the way into the office.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I don't know much about the this kind of surgery, what are the food restriction? Have you asked your Dr for a list of allowed foods?
  • melissamauney
    Options
    You can make breakfast sandwhiches. use whole grain english muffins with egg whites and turkey sausage. make a bunch and freeze them. then all you have to do is pop it in the microwave.
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options
    I bring a yogurt or a protein drink with me to work. I am not a morning person and not used to eating in the morning so bringing either thing works cause you just grab it on the way out and it gives me time to really wake up before eating.
  • ireneh124
    ireneh124 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I purchased Nu-Tek 5 protein shake mix. I drink 2/3 scoop and water upon rising, and a fruit mid morning. 25 grams of protein in the drink for 3/4 scoop and 31 for a full scoop. Less than 1 gram of sugar. Isn't chalky tasting and keeps me satisfied until lunch. I found the key is drinking water, water, water!
  • heididormanen
    Options
    I am meeting with the nutrionist again thursday.. basically no liquid meals.. so nothing that can slip through the band.. no yogurt (made me very sad).. no oatmeal, no soups.. at least not for a while. right after the surgery for a few weeks it is pure liquid but then I have to find high protein, low sodium food that is packed with vitamins and minerals.. fun, right!! lol...

I like the frozen breakfast sandwich idea.. I never thought to freeze them.. I could even make a bunch and bring them in.. just leave them in the freezer here!!
  • melissamauney
    Options
    You can mix some veggies in with you egg white, onions, peppers spinach.ect...to get veggies in your diet.
  • kkatamy
    kkatamy Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the band - I always preferred Cream of Wheat for breakfast because if you use just a bit less skim milk than it calls for, it's pretty thick.

Breakfast sandwiches are going to be difficult, if you eat dense bread. Anything dense we lovingly refer to as "death" in our house (hubby and I are both banded)

Good luck!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have an egg white frittata every day for breakfast. I make the entire week's worth on Sunday, takes about 3 minutes prep work, and 20-25 mins to cook. Here's the recipe:

In a small oven safe dish, melt 1 pat of butter
    Add 1 diced turkey sausage patty (Bob Evans has almost no additives -- yay!)
    Handful of raw spinach (optional)
    10 grams sharp cheddar cheese (about 1/8 cup)
    1/2 C egg whites (I use the egg whites from the container... just pour and measure)

Gently mix up the contents of the bowl. Bake at 350 deg F for 20-25 mins (depending on oven fluctuation).

Here's the only hard part. When you remove the dish from the oven, using a knife or spatula, gently remove the frittata from the bowl and let cool on a plate. When cooled, you can put the frittata's in baggies and put in the freeze or fridge. Then just microwave up when you get to work.

Low cal, high protein, all yummy. If you want to look at my food diary for the nutritional info, I've got it entered already.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    smoothie,yogurt
  • heididormanen
    Options
    oh yes.. I can do quiche!! never thought of that.. love this recipe too and will give it a try..I Have some nice farm fresh eggs sitting on my desk as we speak (or as I type..lol).. I will have to give that a shot tonight and see what I can come up with.

You guys rock!!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Not sure where quinoa would fall on the solid scale, but I find it's chewier than oatmeal. I've been making it into a breakfast 'cereal' of sorts - I cook up a bunch on Sunday in my rice cooker, with just water, and then add a bit of vanilla soymilk after it is cooked. The more you add the less firm the quinoa gets. I add some raisins, vanilla, and cinnamon, and then have it in the morning either cold or warm it up in the microwave. :)