Closet gluttony- time to break free from the lies/bondage

Options
Hi- My name is Jill. I am new to this. Last year I set a goal- wanted to lose 50 lbs. by my 50th birthday.
The opposite happened instead ( I gained 10 MORE - UGH)
Logging the food diary is going to be the HARDEST part of this- I am ADDICTED to sweets.
Am I really going to admit to a bunch of strangers that I ate a whole box of cookies in one sitting? <groan>
I didn't want to post pictures either. I wished vanity (no matter how shallow that sounds) would serve as a motivation- it's better than having NONE.

Why am I even here? Because I don't have a weight problem, I have a food problem. And sugar is the worst. My body cannot tolerate the common sugar substitutes- Nutrasweet (aspartame) gives me instant migraines, Splenda (sucralose) gives me diarrhea. I can handle Stevia but it doesn't satisfy my sugar cravings AT ALL. ( either I'm a die hard addict or it's hyped up? )
So I don't know how to replace the sugar. Every diet seems to offer only that alternative.

Looking for friends along this journey to a better life.
~Jill

Replies

• tknuzum
    tknuzum Posts: 52
    Options
    Moderation is key. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Take it day by day, and if you fall off the wagon at lunch, jump back on by dinner. One slip doesn't have to ruin a whole day! YOu can do this! Add me if ya like! :)
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    I broke myself of the sugar addiction 5 years ago. Now I can have *some* but it doesn't have to take over my life. I did the southbeach diet plan and it really helped. The first 3-4 days I was headachey from lack of sugar and refined, processed (BAD) carbohydrates. By the end of that first week I had regulated my blood sugar and was no longer craving sugary foods. I don't eat strictly southbeach style anymore- but I still follow the principles when I need them.
  • hollycurran
    Options
    Hi Jill,

I'm also a sugar addict, and once I get started I can't stop. Being honest on here has stopped me a few times, but it's really hard! The best way to stop the cravings, is to cut off sugar as much as you can. It will definitely make you feel crazy, but after a couple of weeks, your body will stop wanting more and more and more. I know you said that you can't have sugar replacements, but just have neither for the most part. (I know way easier said than done!!!!) And let yourself have a treat day once a week where you can have a few things that you've been craving all week, that's the only way that keeps me sane!! I don't know if this will help, but I saw your post and immediately related to it!!! Good luck, you can do it!!!
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill,
    I too, am a sugar addict. : )

I have found that Sweet Leaf stevia is the ONLY kind I can tolerate and use in drinks and on fruits for a good taste. It is actually pretty good.

Are you open to alternatives to your sweets? I, personally, allow myself one day a week where I have whatever I want. And, I have found I don't enjoy it as much or eat as much as I used to.

I have found apples a great sweet craving saver, sometimes with PB. Fresh fruit with fiber is the best. Also, get rid of those things if you can't say no. For instance, I can't buy fig Newton's because I will eat the whole sleeve! but on my off day, I will if thats what I want. Funny, i usually get ice cream though.

Just be nice to yourself and give yourself a free day, so you can come out of the closet and out of the shame. There's no shame here. Your life is your life. Warning: if you ask for advice, some people here are Very giving, so be careful and don't open your diary unless you want to and trust the person viewing it. : ) Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Monica
  • Itsmetimi
    Itsmetimi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :smooched: :happy: Welcome Jill!
    I totally get the need for sweets. I sat and ate Girl Scout Cookies today and then asked myself ":Why" when I had been doing so well.
    You just have to try your best to log the food and let the calories tell the story. I really didn't realize how much I was eating until I saw it in print. Now, since I have consumed the extra sugar and caloires I know what needs to be done in my exercise routine. You can do it!!
  • onefasternurse
    onefasternurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Moderation is definitely the key. By blocking out all the foods you crave you are more prone to failure. Logging your food is like admitting you have a problem. The more you are aware the less likely you will over- eat. Your food diary isn't public unless you make it that way. MFP isn't set up to announce your failure. It congratulates you for just logging in on a consistant basis.