I bought a sportline s7 heart rate watch

Options
Ofcourse I have a ton of questions. First of all, I don't understand why it said I burned 539 cal. when my treadmill only said 148. I am assuming that the watch isn't correct or I would be eating a semi full of food!!!
Second.... I was only going 2 mph on a slightly uphill setting, my rate went up to 143.something, I slowed my pace down to 1.9 mph. It is my understanding that my rate should be between 117-142 I believe I did the correct thing, I don't want to have a heart attack or anything seeing I have breathing problems to begin with.
Third, does anyone have a sportline S7? What do you think about it, good or bad?

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    To get an accurate calorie reading you need a heart rate monitor with chest strap. It's better to go with the calories burned that the treadmill gives you than the wrist watch. But depending on the length of time you exercised, your weight and your fitness you could have burned 539. Put your weight into the treadmill minus 10 pounds and deduct 10% or use mfp's numbers:drinker:
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    To get an accurate calorie reading you need a heart rate monitor with chest strap. It's better to go with the calories burned that the treadmill gives you than the wrist watch. But depending on the length of time you exercised, your weight and your fitness you could have burned 539. Put your weight into the treadmill minus 10 pounds and deduct 10% or use mfp's numbers:drinker:

Thank You but the problem for me is that my treadmill isn't that good, it doesn't let me put my weight in :sad: I can't afford an expensive one :grumble:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    You talking about the one from walmart..the s7 one..I was going to get that one from online then I read the reviews and decided not to..So Im going to wait until I can afford a little bit more expensive one..If you dont mind me asking how much you paid for it? From what Ive heard on here you have to invest in a expensive one for accuracy...But then again you could have burned that much remember age weight and height plays a major role ..I use this website in the mean time and it has been working since day one for me http://www.caloriesperhour.com and hit the activity burn calculator it ask you age weight and height:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Hopes this helps
  • donna56
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!!! It's amazing. Good job

Yes, I bought it at Walmart and no, I don't mind telling you how much I payed for it. It was suppose to be 38.77, but someone had a wrong scanner sticker on it and I only paid 26 and some change because that's what the register put it at.

208998.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Well Thank you...Yep thats the one I was inquiring about..And I was going to get that one if I had to Ill bet the one after that one 58.oo or something like that it comes with the chest scraps thats why...But just go to the site and then compare to the online site I gave you:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • donna56
    Options
    Well Thank you...Yep thats the one I was inquiring about..And I was going to get that one if I had to Ill bet the one after that one 58.oo or something like that it comes with the chest scraps thats why...But just go to the site and then compare to the online site I gave you:happy: :flowerforyou:

I am going to check it out right now and thank you

208998.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I got mine at the sporting good store, they were having a sale and paid $39.99 for it and I think it is accurate, as close as can be. It is the Reebok brand and has the chest strap. Love it, it motivates me in a whole new way!
  • jmortman
    jmortman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just tried mine out during my Zumba Toning class. It said I only burned 74cal in an hr.....I KNOW thats wrong.... walking in the Mall for 5 min will do that easy! Did i not check heart rate often enuf... or is it just crappy??

Im planning on trying it again for Zumba in the Morning... normally these classes burn between 400-500 cal, so we'll see what it says. If under 100 again, it's going back.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    how is it?
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had the same one, but decided to buy a New Balance N4 (one with a chest strap) because the sportline took too long to take my Heart Rate and when I started a really intense cardio program I didn't want to have to stop to get my heart rate. I was very disappointed when I learned that I was buring way less than what the Spotline said I was. With the sportline it said I would burn 230 calories for a 20 min workout, I did the same workout with the New Balance one and it said I burned 121. So in my opinion I would try to find one with a chest strap.
  • Gr8_body4life
    Options
    I just bought one of those, and I look at it this way, Its better then having nothing and having no clue as to where your heart rate stands. I've checked it against doing it the old fashioned way of using your fingers to check and to that it was accurate. I plan on saving my pennies and getting the Bodybugg, (its the same one The Biggest Loser contestants wear) .
  • BeeElleTea
    BeeElleTea Posts: 24
    Options
    Lol I wish I'd read this before I bought mine today! Nonetheless, I wasn't expecting much at all as my walmart had it for $3.00 (yes three dollars) o_O lol and I got suspicious when it didn't even ask me my weight. I used it in combination with my pedometer which calculates calories burned too and the hrm was 4x as high. So I'll be logging the lower one. It does seem to be more accurate in regards to my pulse as I checked that too the old-fashion way! This will keep me occupied until I save my pennies!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When buying an HRM you need two things:
    One that has a chest strap, and one that lets you enter age, sex, height, weight, and VO2Max if it has that option.

If it does not have either one of those things, then go return ASAP! Without those two options you are not getting an accurate calorie burn.

I have the Polar FT7 and it is very accurate. It's also very easy to use/set up. I bought mine for 79.99 on drugstore.com but i know that amazon has some pretty good deals on them.
  • imarose6968
    Options
    I have the s7 and at first I thought it was inaccurate, it seemed like it was saying my heart rate was too high for the little work that I was doing, so I almost took it back. I decided to do my pulse manually, with is the same as your heart rate and it was the same. It's supposed to be ecg accurate. I've seen mixed reviews on all of them! I went online and googled heart rate zones and there was a calculator that you enter your resting rate & it gives you the percentage for each zone & my s7 gives me the same percentages, so I have to believe the calories burned are reasonably accurate. I paid $24 @ kmart
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the s7 and at first I thought it was inaccurate, it seemed like it was saying my heart rate was too high for the little work that I was doing, so I almost took it back. I decided to do my pulse manually, with is the same as your heart rate and it was the same. It's supposed to be ecg accurate. I've seen mixed reviews on all of them! I went online and googled heart rate zones and there was a calculator that you enter your resting rate & it gives you the percentage for each zone & my s7 gives me the same percentages, so I have to believe the calories burned are reasonably accurate. I paid $24 @ kmart

I tried this manually too, only once, and I came within a couple of numbers on the heart rate when I was at 144 so I have to think the heart rate part is accurate - now it's whether or not the calorie count is accurate. At least I know if I am hitting my target rate. :)
  • imarose6968
    Options
    If you own the $ 7, you need to put your finger on the button to adjust the heart rate as it changes. If you do this you will get a more accurate reading.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I just got an S7 ($28) just so I can monitor my pulse as I lift and for the timers (I hate my gym clocks with the invisible second hands). First thing I noticed is you MUST set up the personal profile. It does age and sex. Next, if you use the workout timer you need to check your HR frequently to get and accurate calorie count. Now I know for you cardio kings/queens it's a bit tough to take your reading during a fast workout, so in that case I'd definitely go with a model with a chest strap. However for us lunks who just want to keep track of our HR while lifting this model should do the trick. My plan is to start the timer and check my HR after each set. That should give me a fairly accurate accounting of my activity. For my cardio sessions I'll test it by using the machine's HMR and check it against the S7 to see if there is a varied result.

But again, for a lifter on a budget the S7 seems to have everything I need... for now.
  • Michael74Czyzewski
    Options
    BOOM
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are you able to take it back? I'm assuming it's the model without the chest strap.

Does the HRM let you input your height, age, sex and weight? If not, it will not be accurate. If it doesn't have a chest strap it will not be accurate unless you are constantly getting your HR reading by putting your finger on the button. With a watch only HRM it will only read your calories burnt based on the most recently HR reading you give it. If you do a reading during a more intense part of your exercise it will read calories burnt based on that until you give another reading regardless of your intensity.

If you are able to, take it back and get one with a chest strap that allows you to enter your age, weight, height and sex. It's the only way to get a relatively accurate reading. The watch only ones are useless IMO ... I also don't like the Sportline ones. I would rather pay a bit more money and get a good one that will be more accurate.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I just got an S7 ($28) just so I can monitor my pulse as I lift and for the timers (I hate my gym clocks with the invisible second hands). First thing I noticed is you MUST set up the personal profile. It does age and sex. Next, if you use the workout timer you need to check your HR frequently to get and accurate calorie count. Now I know for you cardio kings/queens it's a bit tough to take your reading during a fast workout, so in that case I'd definitely go with a model with a chest strap. However for us lunks who just want to keep track of our HR while lifting this model should do the trick. My plan is to start the timer and check my HR after each set. That should give me a fairly accurate accounting of my activity. For my cardio sessions I'll test it by using the machine's HMR and check it against the S7 to see if there is a varied result.

But again, for a lifter on a budget the S7 seems to have everything I need... for now.

Keep in mind, no HRM will be all that accurate for weight lifting or low intensity exercise. They are designed to be used with an increased HR. No HRM will be accurate unless your HR Is higher.

Also, if it just asks for age and sex it won't be that accurate. Your weight and height play a large role in how many calories you burn...I would say a larger role than just your age and sex does.