I'm BACK... 6 weeks post baby's birth

Options
Hi everyone! I've been a member here for about a year now, but have been M.I.A. on the postings for awhile because I was pregnant with my first baby. Mack was born on September 3rd and is now 6 weeks old! He's beautiful and perfect. I had a c-section, so I had to wait the 6 weeks until I could exercise again, but I'm feeling great and ready to get back at it! I have an awesome baby jogger stroller and I live in FL so the weather is perfect this time of year to be outside. I started this past week with my workouts and though I'm "rusty" I'm feeling pretty good. I gained about 45 pounds and I'm already down 35, so really I have about 10 to go. I'd like to drop 15, though, because I was 5 from my goal weight when I got pregnant. I'm breast feeding, too, so I've heard that's a calorie burner.

Anyway, I just wanted to re-introduce myself to y'all!

Katie

Replies

• katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been a member here for about a year now, but have been M.I.A. on the postings for awhile because I was pregnant with my first baby. Mack was born on September 3rd and is now 6 weeks old! He's beautiful and perfect. I had a c-section, so I had to wait the 6 weeks until I could exercise again, but I'm feeling great and ready to get back at it! I have an awesome baby jogger stroller and I live in FL so the weather is perfect this time of year to be outside. I started this past week with my workouts and though I'm "rusty" I'm feeling pretty good. I gained about 45 pounds and I'm already down 35, so really I have about 10 to go. I'd like to drop 15, though, because I was 5 from my goal weight when I got pregnant. I'm breast feeding, too, so I've heard that's a calorie burner.

Katie
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Katie

Welcome back and congrats on the baby
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations on your new baby, Mack! :flowerforyou:

Breast feeding burns an additional 800 Cal/day if memory serves me correct!
    Plus a great start for the baby, and beautiful bonding time!
    Welcome back!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Katie and congratulations to you!!

You'll drop those few extra pounds in no time.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Cograts on the new baby!! Wow, wish I'd only had 10 pounds to lose 6 weeks post partum! You must have been in great shape! Good luck. :smile:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Welcome back!

AAAAhhhhrrrrgggg...I have to disagree! (at least in my experience!) I BF three babies and it wasn't until they were weaned that I was able to finally start losing weight! Glad it worked for you!
  • bethany169
    Options
    Yeah, breastfeeding only burns about 500 calories a day, and if you're already close to your goal weight, chances are your body will hang on to a little extra weight to support the breastfeeding. I've talked to a lot of women who are having trouble losing the last 5-10 while they're breastfeeding. If you're not already on cafemom.com, there are a lot of great groups of breastfeeding moms who provide great support and info. Congrats on the baby and good luck!!

Welcome back!
  • triciasrv
    triciasrv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been breastfeeding for 10 months today. I have not really lost weight at all. Very frustrating.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I wish I had more babies....:heart:

BF will help you drop pounds... I distinctly remember losing 20 lbs in 6 weeks bf'in babies.

Compensate for them, and add LOTS of WATER to your diet....
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My daughter, Harley, was just born September 3rd too! That's a good day, I guess!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Welcome back!

AAAAhhhhrrrrgggg...I have to disagree! (at least in my experience!) I BF three babies and it wasn't until they were weaned that I was able to finally start losing weight! Glad it worked for you!

Me too - didn't drop the weight until she was over 1 year old, BUT lots of friends lost weight while breatfeeding! (I just kept feeding my hunger!).

Welcome back and good luck with your last few pounds!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have been breastfeeding for 10 months today. I have not really lost weight at all. Very frustrating.

Tricia - don't be frustrated - I did not lose any real weight until March (so she was 14 months and only nursing a little bit in the morning and evenings). I find that women are 50/50 on this point (either BF'ing weight losers or not!).

Good luck! You shuuld see your hunger subside now was your baby starts eating more solid foods.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Wow-- congratulations-- he's a total cutie pie!!!
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I nursed twins(for 15 months) and didn't start really dropping any weight until they were weaned.

I still miss baby days and nursing time. NO MORE for me though!

But CONGRATS on your son.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • ACastle1
    ACastle1 Posts: 101
    Options
    Congrats! Babies are wonderful. :smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Katie