workout tips please

Options
Hello all. I am new to myfitnesspal and I am hoping someone can share some good workout tips with me. I have a gym membership, but all I tend to do is the treadmill, mostly because I am afraid of looking like an idiot trying to figure out how to use the machines, but I also don't know what to do or how much to do to make an impact. Also, when is the best times during the day to workout?

Thank you to all who help me out!!

Replies

• Beach_Chica
    Beach_Chica Posts: 111
    Options
    Does your gym not offer help from someone at the desk? The one I went to, I made the guy behind the desk show me how to properly use the equipment. That's their job.
  • Mtom24
    Mtom24 Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that changing it up with the different machines is the best for me. Instead of just doing the treadmill you could do the bicycle or the elliptical for a few minutes too. I do 15 minutes on the bike as warm up and then I do 30 min. on the elliptical and 15 min on the treadmill. I rotate how long I do each one so I work different parts of my body too. The other machines, just watch people so you know how to do it before you get on. Usually there's a picture on the machine that shows you the way you're supposed to the machine too. Don't be afraid to ask someone for help either. You don't want to injure yourself.
    Hope this helps!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Dont just do CV. Doing weights builds muscle which helps burn fat and you will tone up too.
    Also do weights between each CV. ie 10 min treadmill; stretch, weights, 10 min bike, weights, 10 min rower, stretches. There should be an instructor there to help you use the equipment properly. If not ask another member that goes regularly - preferably a nice hunky one :smile:
  • roxannima
    roxannima Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get tons of other responses to this, so make sure you just try one or two things each day or even each week to see what fits best for YOU. That's the most important part is finding something you enjoy and that makes you feel a difference.

Here are some of the things I've found works for me:

Timing is all about when you feel good. I tend to workout in the morning because it sets me up to have a high-energy day; plus, after a workout, your body continues burning fat because you've upped your metabolism. But that doesn't mean a nighttime workout won't be just as good for you, especially if you're a night owl.

If you're with a gym that offers a free personal trainer session (like 24 Hour Fitness does), take them up on it, if only to ask an "expert" questions for a personalized workout. I took the one free session and the best thing I learned was that I first need to warm up before any strength training, so my workout routine is:

10 minutes on the elliptical, medium to fast
    20 minutes of strength on various machines (which usually includes 10 sets of 15 reps on the ab machine, plus 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps on leg extensions and other leg machines, and 3 sets of 8 reps on chest/shoulder presses and other arm machines)
    30-45 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill, steady and paying attention to my target heart rate
    10 minutes of stretching

If your gym has turbo kick/step aerobic/zumba type classes, try those! I looooove those.

Don't be afraid to try the machines. Most have instructions right on them, so take the time to read them and follow the instructions. I too have struggled with not wanting to look stupid at the gym, but you have to kinda leave that at the door. Now I workout in my own little world - I pretend no one else is there and just workout for ME. I even mouth the words to my songs (no singing out loud!) when I'm doing cardio, because that helps me breathe right and keeps my heart rate at a good level :)

I hope that helps!! I've had tons of advice from many, many people :)
  • 343paul
    343paul Posts: 24
    Options
    You can do weight training on M W F and wrap cardio around it. Adding muscle will burn calories at rest.
  • tntcpl98
    tntcpl98 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted!! I appreciate all the feedback! It will definitely help!!