Tennis...a great way to burn calories and have fun doing it.

Options
I play a lot of tennis...at least 3 times a week. Its a great sport and fills all of my needs...being competitive, burning calories, and keeping in shape. Tennis is a sport anyone can play, not just younger people. I know manyh older folks who just get out there and hit tennis balls. Kids love it too...what kid doesnt like hitting tons of tennis balls over a huge fence? Burning roughly 550 calories per hour, tennis sure beats running in my book.

Replies

• Sassyblue
    Sassyblue Posts: 15
    Options
    I had a match with my sister yesterday and loved it!!!!!!!!!
  • joshort123
    Options
    Tennis is a fantastic sport. The stop/start cardio is also a nice change from long distance running. Looking forward to the French Open in May. Go Andy Murray!
  • anwendy
    anwendy Posts: 17
    Options
    I love it too! Trouble seems to be finding someone to play with me. No one I know is really all that into it.
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    I love tennis... I play competitevely in te summer months, but virtually none at all the rest of the year :( I'm lucky I can pick it up nicely again every year!

I am curious, how did you calculate the 550 cals/hr?
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%.

I'm an avid player as well and hoping to increase the number of times per week from 1 to 2 times up to 3 to 4 times (minimally). Before marriage, I was a strong 4.0 player, now, I'm a 3.0 (maybe 3.0-).

Additional bonuses of tennis:
    * Fewer injuries than other sports.
    * Can played year-round (there's no specific season, as long as the courts are playable its a good day for tennis).
    * Teaches kids a deeper sense of sportsmanship than many other sports.

$0.02
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I play tennis with my sister whenever she has a Saturday off, I think we've been averaging once every few weeks. Unfortunately with our schedules and accessibility to vehicles it's hard for us to get together more often than that. But when we do, I love it! It's super fun, and we play for at least an hour, this week we played for an hour and a half, and I burn around 600-700 calories!! The most fun I can have exercising!!