Sodium?

Options
I haven't done it in the past but I probably should have...but how much sodium is considered healthy in a daily diet? If I'm having 1,200 calories a day?

The prolem is I love salt. But I know it's terrible for me, especially since high blood pressure and diabetes both run in my family. I'd appreciate all the advise I could get! Thanks!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    2300mg/day is the general maximum, but if you have high blood pressure, certain heart conditions, diabetes, are African American, are over 50 (and possibly some other conditions...) then your limit is recommended to be 1500 mg/day
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    t's 1500 mg recommended daily intake.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    For futher clarification:

From the USDA's website: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/PolicyDoc/ExecSumm.pdf (it's an executive summary of their 2010 guidelines)
    Reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) and further reduce intake to 1,500 mg among persons who are 51 and older and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease. The 1,500 mg recommendation applies to about half of the U.S. population, including children, and the majority of adults.

The American Heart Association doesn't agree with the USDA - they think that EVERYONE should limit sodium to 1500 mg/day:
    http://www.newsroom.heart.org/index.php?s=43&item=1243
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have my limit set at 1500...I have slightly high blood pressure and it runs in my family...along with heart disease....and I am over 50. I love salt too and have been known to just shake some in my hand and eat it. I don't have a problem with sweets but, if it's salty and crunchy it's for me....lol!
  • abgoins512
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I've never kept track of my sodium intake, so I wasn't sure what it should be.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I am also a HUGE salt fan....I like to say that "I salt my salt". But i have started slowly adjusting my taste buds. Over the past two weeks I have used less and less salt on things, and it seems to be helping a lot. And I drink a ton of water to help flush it all out. I even ate a cucumber with NO salt!!! I have never in my life done that!!
  • smchalkley
    Options
    also keep in mind they actually make low sodium salt i used to buy it all the time...its usually called light salt or something similar :)