Some Help about Boobs Plz ...reductions

Options
Hi all...I have researched a lot of breast reduction threads on here, but would like to know some things in greater detail.

First of all, I am a 38G. I was a D by the time I was 14 and have just gone up from there. I know that I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but just don't want to wait for a reduction any longer.

I am curious if those with reductions can tell me what I have ahead of me. Mainly, how many weeks did it take you to recover enough to be back at work (I have an office job). Also, (dumb question) how much pain were you in and for how long? What will others have to do for me to take care of me...and how long until I can do it myself again.

Thanks for any input, comments, and advice!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• az1cowgirl
    Options
    I have not had breast reduction (someday maybe) but I do know of someone who went through it so I can answer a couple of your questions.

1. My friend was back at work in 2 weeks...sore but not so badly that she couldn't function.
    2. You will be limited as to the amount you can lift for a little while.
    3. You will need help with anything that requires you lifting your hands above your head...dressing if it's over your head, showering and shampooing, etc. I was a GOOD friend and helped her wash her hair and dress her for about 1.5 weeks. Make sure you have a good support system in place.

Anything else regarding pain, I can't answer. Good luck!!

Linda
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i'd like 2 know as well. altho i'm goin for more of a lift than a reduction :flowerforyou:
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hello! I used to weigh 228lbs. My boobs were huge, DDD, or E, and when I became pregnant they were F. I wanted a reduction too when I was heavy but I lost 90lbs and they are now a C! I'm really glad I didn't get the reduction and just let weight loss bring them down to normal. Although, a lift would be nice! You might want to re-think your reduction decision or at least hold off until you lose the weight you want.
  • samonaellie
    Options
    Hi pressica!!! I dont know much about the reduction, but my sister recently went through it herself... You can look her up and ask for some wonderful advice... Look up the name Jennifer Andrews, she is on fitness pal as well. I well send her your info if you friend me so then it would be a lot easier to pass on the advice for you:) Good luck you are a very brave lady:):smile:
  • ampjorgensen
    ampjorgensen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree I'd wait til I lost some weight. When I lose weight my boobs instantly shrink.... a lift when they shrink ;) haha i might need that after two babies haha
  • Pita0224
    Pita0224 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I had a reduction when I was 16, it's been 8 years, so I'm sure things have changed and I only remember a little. At the time I competed in powerlifting, I think I took 3 weeks off before returning to that (so you can base your weight lifting/strength training on that). I think I also took maybe 5 days off of school? I don't remember the pain being awful, if it was, it was only for the first day or two.
    My biggest regrets: 1. that I did it while I was so young. I needed it, however at that point in my life I wasn't able to gauge the fact that someday I might want to breastfeed, which by the way, I can't. 2. That I did it before having kids. The weight gain from my pregnancies has left me at a D, opposed to the C that I had after surgery. I can't shake the weight from there no matter how hard I try. 3. Lastly, I have no sensation to the nipple or tissue surrounding (although that doesn't bother me much)
    So those are just some things to think about. Based on your surgeon you will have JP drains left in for the first few days after surgery. They'll drain the blood out by suction and you will have to empty them.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses thus far. They have been helpful. I have thought about waiting until I lose weight, but even when I weighed 115 lbs. I was a size 36DD. I am just thinking it might be easier to exercise and take the weight off if I am not hauling around this excess weight.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    Greetings Jessica! I helped care for a good friend of mine after her reduction in 2001. The good news is, technology has improved significantly since then and you'll likely have a shorter recovery than she experienced.

Sarah (friend) was a 42FF when she finally decided to book an appointment with her surgeon to reduce to a 36C. Some things that we learned in this process...

1.) Have a standby person available to help with household duties such as taking care of the kiddos (if you got 'em), cleaning house, etc. At the time, Sarah didn't have kids but seriously it would have been really stressful for her fiance to be the only care giver. Recruit a buddy, mom, sister, brother, whoever and you will be thankful you asked.

2.) If you live in a colder climate, please please please do NOT have the procedure during any month you may be in cold temps. Nip shrivel is not fun as Sarah found out the hard way walking across campus mid-December 1 week post-op. She felt like they were just going to eject out of her shirt onto the pavement.

3.) Your doc will really be the only one that can tell you how long it will take to get back into the office. Sarah and my other friend Dawn were both back to their normal lives within 1-2 weeks... but they were young and dumb at the time :-). It also depends on which way they decide to go about the surgery.

4.) Dawn's doc swears upside down and sideways that the fact that she started lifting weights to get her pectoral and back muscles up to snuff 8 weeks before the surgery helped immensely. He high fived her on the way into surgery. He was the coolest.

5.) Sarah is one of the biggest sissies on Earth, but when it came to dealing with post-op pain she was a real trooper (well, except for the whole nipple fiasco). She had a hard time moving her arms for the first week or so but then I think she trained herself to avoid cross body motion and anything that would excessively move "the girls." But, they had to cut her in multiple places and you'll likely benefit from the wonders of laser technology.

You are brave and one tough cookie... good luck hotstuffs! I hope some folks with first hand knowledge give you more help and encouragement!
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    Oh, and if you're having more kids, don't do it. Sarah's went right back up to an E cup and had to have the surgery again postpartum.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Alright girl! I was in the exact same boat as you. I was a 40G. I had a breast reduction and it took me about 6 weeks before I could get back to work...I worked fast food then. You won't be able to exercise or lift a lot of items for a while. I had my wounds grow together after about 3 months, i think. Got any more questions just message me.

I will tell you, it was the best decision I ever made!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I haven't had one but I've been to consultations with surgeons and it is suggested to NOT get one till you are at goal weight, if you tend to genetically possibly lose weight in that area you may end up with deflated saggy boobs. Also some surgeons won't operate if you are not done having children due to the fact that you may get right back up in size from pregnancy.

I'd wait till you get to goal and go from there.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My sister had one, a big one...and a brand new baby...my mom went to stay with her for 2 weeks. If you have a desk job, absolutely no lifting at all for a month at least...you don't want to rip the stitches (or staples or what ever they use)...but you should be ok after about a week or two. Also, no more underwires for you...stupid that I am bought her two underwire bras as a get well present in her new boob size...yeah, my oldest sister took them lol
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    No reduction for me- I went the other way. ;) Just some advice about scars. My surgeon originally recommended an Inframmary incision also known as a "crease incision" where a small incision is made in the crease of the breast. My friend had it done this way and her scars were VERY visible. The day before my surgery, I changed my mind and went with an Areola incision instead (incision around the bottom half of the areola) and 9 years later, I'm so glad I did! My scars are barely visible. They will , in my opinion, suggest what is easiest.
    There is more than one way to get a reduction other than the standard "key hole" which leaves you with an anchor shaped scar. You might want to look into the below method. Scarring was a concern for me but it may not be for everyone else.
    "Periareolar Lift With Reduction-
    With this technique, a lift is performed by excising a "doughnut" of tissue around the areola and removing breast tissue and fat either manually or with a cannula. A type of internal purse string suture may be placed around the areola to reduce the risk of lift-fail or scar stretching. This technique leaves a scar around the areola and is sufficient for moderate reduction and lift cases.