Meatless ideas that a meat and potatoes man will eat

Options

Replies

• loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    for my hubbys lunch today i grilled 2 boca veggie patties cut in half..... fat free thousand island dressing, chopped lettuce, sliced pickles and put them on low fat wheat wraps ... he said it tasted EXACTLY like the big mac wraps!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    check out my blog. we try to do one or two meatless meal each week. it should give you plenty of ideas.

http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've used soy crumbles in place of hamburger in casseroles and no one notices.
    Quesadillas made with black beans, corn, and low fat cheese
    Pasta, tomatoes, feta cheese, spices, bit of olive oil, onions
    Veggie spaghetti sauce
    Veggie chili
    grilled veggie sandwiches- use portabella mushrooms, peppers, onion, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash. The portabella mushrooms are so meaty, I don't think he'll notice the "no meat"
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Don't understand why you would want less meat (protein) in your diet. I can understand wanting to incorporate more vegetables and other things to get a better nutritional balance, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Most people don't get enough protein as it is.

There are other sources of protein besides meat. I don't eat beef and rarely eat pork. I have several meatless days per week and I am usually over my protein goal.
    That's an interesting personal choice. I still don't understand why she wants to take meat out of her and her husband's diet.

To the OP, I'm sorry I asked. You didn't ask for a referendum on meat in your diet, you just wanted to know how to feed a meat and potatoes guy without meat. Personally, what I think you really want to know is how can you give your husband a more balanced and nutritional dinner when he is only comfortable with meat and potatoes type meals. My fiancee is actually pretty good at doing things like this. She'll use the food processor sometimes to hide vegetables in places you wouldn't often expect them. She loevs to watch me eat something and then ask me what was in it. Lasagna, chili, pasta with meat/vegetable sauce all have opportunities to sneak vegetables in without making him broccoli raw by hiding it in other mediums.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Black Beans!

Black Bean Lasagna: http://mealsmadeahead.blogspot.com/2009/02/black-bean-lasagna.html
    Black Bean Burritos: http://mealsmadeahead.blogspot.com/2009/02/black-bean-burritos.html
    Black Bean Burgers: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Black-Bean-Veggie-Burgers/Detail.aspx
    Quiona & Black Bean Chili: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Bean-Chili/Detail.aspx

Also, I'm not sure if substituting the type of meat you use is an option, but extra lean ground turkey is easy to cook with as well.

Taco Bake: http://mealsmadeahead.blogspot.com/2011/01/taco-bake.html
    Turkey Meatballs or Meatloaf: http://mealsmadeahead.blogspot.com/2010/01/basic-meatballs-or-meat-loaf.html
    Turkey & Artichoke Stuffed Shells: http://mealsmadeahead.blogspot.com/2009/03/turkey-stuffed-shells.html
    Low-Fat Pizza Pasta Casserole (w/ground turkey): http://mealsmadeahead.blogspot.com/2009/02/low-fat-pizza-pasta-cassarole.html

*Note: Most of these recipes are make ahead/freezable! I have tried every single one of them and they are all excellent & can easily be modified w/ ingredients to fit your lifestyle. (ie: low-fat/carb/calorie versions as you like)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't understand why you would want less meat (protein) in your diet. I can understand wanting to incorporate more vegetables and other things to get a better nutritional balance, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Most people don't get enough protein as it is.

You can get plenty of protein without it being from a meat source. Changing up the source of protein can incorporate different vitamins/minerals and tastes into your diet. Also, for Catholics at this time of year, it is a religious norm.
  • salmonpi
    salmonpi Posts: 16
    Options
    That's an interesting personal choice. I still don't understand why she wants to take meat out of her and her husband's diet.

She's not taking it out of their diet, she's just trying to lower the amount they eat. I think the average american eats about twice as much meat as they need to in order to get enough protein.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I figured I can share it first. It is from the Skinny B*tches so I can almost garauntee it is fabulous. I love their recipes.

Sloppy Joes
    Makes 4 servings
    1 cup water, divided
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 8-ounce package tempeh, crumbled into small pieces (Or TVP, Lentils, etc.)
    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon agave nectar
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    4 multigrain hamburger buns
    Heat 1/2 cup water in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until cooked through. Add remaining 1/2 cup water and tempeh. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, allowing the tempeh to get well-done.
    Add tomato sauce, ketchup, agave nectar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic powder and cook for 15 minutes.
    Serve on buns.
    Note: You can substitute faux meat crumbles, textured vegetable protein (TVP), or even lentils in this recipe.
    Nutrition Information
    Per serving:
    273 calories
    7.9 g fat
    1.6 g saturated fat
    24.5% calories from fat
    0 mg cholesterol
    17.6 g protein
    36.6 g carbohydrate
    14.4 g sugar
    6.3 g fiber
    666 mg sodium
    143 mg calcium

And this is a South Beach recipe. I made this for my daughter who hate lasagna and she ate it up like it was stuffed with chocolate covered sugar cubes!!!

Vegetarian No-Pasta Lasagna

Serves 4-6

Ingredients
    2 large eggplants
    1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
    2 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup fresh-grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
    2 tablespoons garlic, chopped fine
    2 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
    2 tablespoons dried oregano
    2 tablespoons dried thyme
    2 cups (4 whole) roasted peppers
    1 6-ounce can tomato paste
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups spinach (optional)
    1 large yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise (optional)
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in skillet and cook garlic and onion until they become aromatic and begin to brown. Add stewed tomatoes and 1 tablespoon dried oregano. Once tomatoes begin to bubble, stir in tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, add salt and pepper to taste, cover and let simmer lightly while you continue.

Slice eggplant lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices. Spread out eggplant on a rimmed cookie sheets sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Salt the slices generously on both sides, sprinkle with thyme, and lightly brush (fingers are fine) with the remaining oil olive. Roast eggplant in oven until tender and slightly browned. If using yellow squash, also roast briefly until soft and pliable. Remove and let cool enough to handle. Reduce oven to 375°F.

Meanwhile, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, remaining oregano, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. In a 12x9-inch baking dish spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce. Cover with 3 or 4 eggplant slices, then half of the roasted peppers, and then a third of the ricotta cheese mixture, followed by a third of the mozzarella. Sprinkle half the basil over cheeses, and then spinach and yellow squash (if using). Cover with more tomato sauce, eggplant, peppers, ricotta, mozzarella and basil. Top with remaining eggplant, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and any remaining Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about 15 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Remove and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
    Nutritional Information:
    354.18 calories
    12.35 g sugar
    18.64 total fat (6.82 g sat)
    67.48 mg cholesterol
    35.4 g carbohydrate
    16.76 g protein
    3.55 g fiber
    754.95 mg sodium

Also, browse through the recipes at www.vegetariantimes.com It is an awesome magazine and they recipes are to die for!!!! I try at least 1 new one each week and they never fail.

:flowerforyou:
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    My food diary is public & my husband and I have been Vegan almost 3 years.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    2 things I've had that were rather good for not having meat was a spinach veggie lasagna, and a portabella mushroom "burger". Very hearty meals. Sorry no recipes, I didnt cook them. But I am sure a google search would turn something up.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't a problem for me and I haven't eaten meat in almost 20 years. Iron's another story.

I make an awesome vegetarian chili if you're interested. My husband, also a huge carnivore, loves it as do all our kids (some vegetarian and some not).
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You can try hiding vegetables like I do for my 5 year old - grilled cheese sandwich with sweet potato mixed in with the cheese, souffles, chestnut and mushroom bourgignon, most of these recipes http://www.vegetariancookeryschool.com/recipes/winter/
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    OK well that's obviously a personal choice to not eat meat. I'm not saying you can't get enough protein without eating meat. I'm saying why would you want to feed less meat to a person who obviously likes meat. Eating meat isn't neccessarily unhealthy. Why not just use something he likes (meaty dishes) to help him accept things that he wouldn't eat on his own (veggies, etc.) I was not trying to make a referendum on being vegetarian. I'm trying to understand why her husband liking meat was a bad thing or something to be reduced.

And for the person who said the average American eats twice as much protein than they need to -- I find that to be a highly dubious fact and I need some linked support. Everything I've seen is that Americans eat a very carb rich diet that is woefully low in Fiber and protein. And there are a ton of people on this website that put themselves through ridiculous workout regimens who only eat a tiny fraction of the protein that they are supposed to be eating.
  • fteale
    Options

On the contrary, most people in the West eat far far too much protein, and convert most of it to fat. Red meat causes all sorts of bowel problems. It's not an ideal food source.
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    Science is rapidly teaching us that the minimal amounts of protein recommended by the USDA are just that, the minimum amounts required to prevent malnutrition. The optimal amounts and intake of protein continue to be clarified by scientific studies and as of present, we know that many of us are not eating enough or are not getting the most out of the protein we eat because we are eating too much at one sitting.
    http://www.nemechekconsultativemedicine.com/?p=1226
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have recently cut all meat besides fish out of my diet. I'm lucky that I don't have a person who insists on meat, but am cooking for 2 other adults who happen to not be making the same choice as I am. But, I do all the shopping and cooking, so we've been eating meatless.

I have found vegetable soups to be super hearty and filling without needing the meat. I add a can of black beans, vegetable stock, and a bunch of veggies along with brown rice or barley. Lasagna is super easy to do without meat, I made one the other week with a pesto ricotta cheese, and sauteed carrots, red bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, etc to use as a layer with whole wheat noodles, spinach, and homemade sauce. It was amazing.

I am finding that it's not the meat we crave as much as the mouth feel and taste. Get the taste right, and they won't even notice the lack of meat!
  • fteale
    Options
    Note the too much in one sitting part. You are better off getting constant low levels of protein throughout the day from vegetables, than you are getting whacking great hits of protein from a burger or similar.

Now about that bowel cancer thing.......
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    I don't think a burger has an overwhelming amount of meat in a single patty. A quarter-pound patty of lean ground beef only has 23 grams of protein.

I don't think I suggested that you should eat all your meat/protein in one sitting.

The protein in one sitting deal is true for anybody, veggie or not.

Eating meat doesnt' mean you have to be unhealthy about it. You can quite healthily eat lean beef, turkey, pork, chicken, buffalo, etc. There are some personal trainers that say you should have a gram of protein for every pound of your goal weight if you are working out a lot in order to repair your muscle adequately. Compare that to the minimum standards that the RDA set based on avoiding malnutrition which is 0.8 pounds per kilogram of body weight. It's a big difference.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! Keep them coming. I just saw an really wonderful looking bean and corn burrito bake on cooking light that sounded like something that a lot of people mentioned.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options

There are other sources of protein besides meat. I don't eat beef and rarely eat pork. I have several meatless days per week and I am usually over my protein goal.

To the OP, I'm sorry I asked. You didn't ask for a referendum on meat in your diet, you just wanted to know how to feed a meat and potatoes guy without meat. Personally, what I think you really want to know is how can you give your husband a more balanced and nutritional dinner when he is only comfortable with meat and potatoes type meals. My fiancee is actually pretty good at doing things like this. She'll use the food processor sometimes to hide vegetables in places you wouldn't often expect them. She loevs to watch me eat something and then ask me what was in it. Lasagna, chili, pasta with meat/vegetable sauce all have opportunities to sneak vegetables in without making him broccoli raw by hiding it in other mediums.

I don't mind that you asked. I don't want to eliminate meat entirely or even mostly. I just want to cut down because I know we are eating way over what we should. I want to go to maybe a single evening meal a week or every couple of weeks without meat and I needed some ideas. Many of the ideas on here have been very helpful. I will definately have to take the hiding the veggies approach as my husband is very picky about what veggies he likes, and is not very open minded about trying new things. I have been doing that with mushrooms for years though and he doesn't notice. I just have to be more creative.