first day

Options
Hey all.

Well, I put myfitnesspal on my phone a little over a week ago...... decided to hold off til today, spring break!

So, a 1,200 calorie a day diet was recommended....... we will see.

Today has been a little tough..... I am hungry! I ate a salad for lunch, which reminded me why I don't eat salads!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Oy, you waited to start until spring break? You are braver than me. I probably would have waited until AFTER spring break to start! Good luck! :drinker:
  • luvlifejen
    luvlifejen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    good luck :-) xx
  • CASue13
    CASue13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello and hang in there! I was hungry at first too. Only because I HAD been eating well over 1200 calories per day. Your body will adjust. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a lifestyle change if you are not used to eating "salad" regularly. I eat a big spinach and vegetable salad for lunch nearly every week day and have been doing that for the past couple of weeks since I joined MFP...but I add a little bit of protein (chicken, tuna, sweet potato, hardboiled egg, etc). should help with the hunger pangs...the protein plus the fiber from the salad veggies will make you feel full :) Feel free to add me and check out my food diaries for my salad combos...I think I am getting a good mix of healthy stuff in there...and it tastes good. And I'm not starving myself...my salads are usually between 380-500 calories depending on what I put in them...of course, if you're only doing 1200 calories a day you might have to adjust that down a bit ;)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

1200 is the bare minimum MFP will set. You may try setting your goals to 1 pound per week for a more sustainable diet. Good luck!
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    My advice is get creative - yesterday for dinner we had chicken (@ 5 oz, breast, no skin), potatoes, italian squash, cooked pot roast style in some chicken broth....was completely full for about 550 calories. I could have shaved another 100 off if I didn't eat so many potatoes!
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    It took me about 4 days to figure out different foods that would keep me full until the next meal - otherwise I was waking up at about 2 a.m. and eating! I've been on MFP for 2 weeks as of today.:bigsmile:
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    Ick, salad. Ok, it's not all bad... but most of it is pretty bad.

I love that my phone has this, I'm calling it the "Calorie bank", though it makes it so much easier to see how what I'm eating effects it. (So I didn't eat two snack wraps... I had NO idea they "cost" that much.)

WELCOME from one phone app newbie to another!
  • meganmorrison25
    Options
    When I started 1200 per day was pretty awful.... now that I've been doing that for over a month, its almost hard some days to get up to 1200 especially when I exercise! Hang in there :)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I ate a salad for lunch, which reminded me why I don't eat salads!

Hi and welcome! That made me chuckle. :)

Seriously, I used to buy bags of salad, thinking to myself at the grocery store, I HAVE to start eating healthy. And I would inevitably throw them out when they went bad! I dreaded eating salad and totally disliked it. That was before...Now, I run OUT of salad...it's the largest portion of food I eat every day, and I love it! Really and truly! I experimented around until I finally found the right combination of leaves that agree with me. My preference is hearts of romaine, spinach, carrots and red cabbage, with almond slices, unsalted sesame sticks, organic pumpkin seeds, red wine vinegar and about a teaspoon of olive oil. So stick with it, you may find you grow to love 'em too. Leafy green for a mean machine. :)
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    broadsword7 is so right. I love me a home made salad.

However, when I got out to eat (especially at sit down restaurants) their salads are usually iceberg lettuce, a few large rings of onion, some carrot shavings, a tomato slice or two, and dressing. (plus or minus the old egg.) It's depressing.

At home... oh do I love some spinach... grilled (or when I'm lazy sliced) chicken or turkey, pepper jack cheese (doesn't take much), mushrooms.... and it doesn't take much dressing if the stuff in the salad actually has flavor to start with. : ) (Yum on the olive oil, I've been known to add it to light soups... just a little .. tastes so much better)