Question about calories earned from exercise

Options
When you earn extra calories for exercise does this mean in addition to what you have for the day? My calories for the day do not reflect my earned calories.....confused! Help please!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    When you exercise your "Calories Remaining" should increase. Your goal is a NET calorie goal. So the equation on your home page:

GOAL FOOD - EXERCISE = NET

Everyday, you want this NET number to be as close to your GOAL number as possible. Does that make sense?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    MFP was created to allow you to eat back the exercise calories burned if you want. Some do, some don't. You have to try it both ways and see what works for you.

I'm not sure about the exercise not showing up. Did you log it under the cardio section? If not, that is the only place that will reflect calories burned.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP adds calories for logged exercise because the calories burned in exercise are not accounted for in your initial daily goal.
    MFP creates a built in deficit, based on your loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. You are intended to eat those calories. If you don't replace those calories, you make your deficit larger which is usually unsustainable and unhealthy.

Might help to read these threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Good luck to you!
  • etoille325
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I get it now duh!!!! Have a wonderful and healthy afternoon!
  • fluffy831
    fluffy831 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    They add calories in for cardio but not strength training. Depends on how you log the exercise.
  • MeolaCharles
    Options
    Koa708 is correct, you need to atleast meet your daily goal. But the extra calories you earn from exercise can be eaten if you have any excess cravings. If not, you can bank the exercise calories toward your deficeit which are calories toward extra weight loss. Every extra 3500 cal you burn, a pound of fat loss. You burn calories in two ways through exercise and your BMR (body metabolic rate) which you can google BMR calculator and see what that is. In order to lose weight, your BMR+Exercise calories burned MUST be more than the number of calories you eat. I hope this information is helpful.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    why is strength traniing not added?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    why is strength traniing not added?

You can log cals burned for strength training under Cardio with the entry for "Strength Training". The weight training section of the diary is simply for you to keep track of your program and progress (reps, weight, etc.)
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    If you search for "strength training" in the cardio section it should come up. You just have to add up your total time and it will give you the calories burned.