Water, water everywhere? No longer available!

Options
I needed to eat lunch out today because we had company. While I found a reasonable entree and side (grilled chicken strips and steamed vegetables) , I discovered that the restaurant no longer offers water! The only way I could get water was to order, and pay for, bottled water. This was at Santa Fe Cattle Company, which I think is a national chain. What a major disappointment...I count on water to keep me from craving peanuts, yeast rolls, and high calorie drinks. The waiter's claim was that the Coca Cola distributor required it and that McDonald's is also doing this. Has anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• showers1989
    showers1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen several times. I think this is horrible. I think it's just their way of trying to get you for every penny you got. They didn't like people ordering water because it was free.
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    Eeeeek - thats disgusting!!! I know herein Canada, it's illegal to not be able to offer tap water, but a small number of restaurants will charge you for glass maintenance, the straw, the lemon wedge... etc... but i have never encountered this nit picking...

Maybe it's time to boycott these places?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of my waitressin days.. when teenagers would come in and just order water, leave a big mess and no tip...

However, if you are ordering a meal, than water should be a refillable option.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I was behind a guy at McDonald's the other day and when he asked for a water she offered him bottled water instead because a drink came with the meal but it sounded like she would have given him tap if he'd asked for it. Frankly, I don't like the "mystery", un-bottled water from restaurants because you never know where they got it from! :bigsmile:
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    Sometimes in the UK, you have to pay for tap water. Well, it's illegal but they charge you for the 'ice' or cleaning the glass.
    In America, I've had this issue before and also had it so I didn't want to drink the water as it tasted nasty - like chlorine. ew.

It's still healthier than the alternatives...but if it is just from the tap, it should be free. So many calories in drinks, no wonder that people are overweight :(
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in the UK, you have to pay for tap water. Well, it's illegal but they charge you for the 'ice' or cleaning the glass.

This. Though, if you kick up a fuss...
  • joanipowell
    joanipowell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Looks I will be taking my water bottle in. LOl
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Yikes! I usually always carry a bottle of water in my bag and I would have no shame in bringing it to the restaurant and drinking it should they refuse to give me a glass of water! SMH just awful!:noway:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Why should it be free if its from the tap?They still have to pay for it.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Here in Germany you have to pay for water, no matter if sparkling or non-carbonated. And you never get tap water. It's all bottled.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area). I have never visited an eatery that didn't provide free tap water. What I do miss is the absence of drinking fountains. I remember when I was young, every retail store had a water fountain with chilled water. It was great.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    In France if you ask for water they'll bring you a bottle of expensive water - a trap! Gotta ask for un carafe.

Just a tip if you ever go.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options

This!!!!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced this. I've also never heard of that particular chain. I'd ask for a manager.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options

This!!!!

I know, they're charged at least half a cent! Woah! Who can take that kind of hit?
  • j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    should've just asked for the glass & gone to the bathroom & filled it up! wonder what they would've said then!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

This!!!!

I know, they're charged at least half a cent! Woah! Who can take that kind of hit?

We pay for our tap water they pay for theirs.its a buisness why should anything be free?
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty big deficit if you ask me!
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    it's true they do have to pay for the water- but, I thought restaurants bend over backward to get your business for all their overpriced food - so shame on them for charging for water!
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    Seriously. Take half a moment to look at their mark-up on liquor. Water? Cry me a river.