Diet for your blood type?

Options
Hi all,

I am new here but not new to healthy eating (I refuse to call it dieting!!). I was wondering if anyone out there had tried eating for their blood type as I have been having problems with my digestion and I was advised to look into it by my kinesiologist, so just wanted to see if you lovely people had any thoughts!

Thanks a lot,

Kay :-)

Replies

• LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    I try to follow the diet for my blood type (O negative). It defintely helps with digestion, energy levels etc. it is worth a try for sure!
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    You should also check into possibly wheat free, gluten free, organic, etc......
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    By blood type do you mean like the A, B, AB and O types? Also, if regarding blood, why a kinesiologist? Please post back as im very curious about this. Hopefully if i remember, i'll ask the anatomy and physiology profs in my dissection class tomorrow
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm O+
  • QuiltinMom
    Options
    I've done it. I don't think it helps lose weight or maintain weight. I think a sensible, healthy food plan works best. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, keep meat to a minimum, and absolutely no processed, refined, junk, fast, or restaurant foods. If you do eat out, stick with something you can control, e.g., a salad with each ingredient on the side and then you add what is healthy and leave the cold cuts, fatty dressings off. Also, don't use any artificial sweeteners, if you want a natural, healthy sweetener, use stevia. Only drink water (your weight divided by 2 gives you the ounces per day to drink - it's okay to go over but don't go under 64 oz.), brewed tea (preferably green or white), or organic coffee.
  • ChelDur
    ChelDur Posts: 1
    Options
    I know two women (mother and daughter) who have been on the blood type "diet" for literally decades. The mother is 80; the daughter 55. You would swear they were 50 and 25! It really is remarkable. They look fantastic and seem to feel great! They say the biggest things they notice are the digestion and energy levels also.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I most definitely try to ascribe to the foundations of eating for your blood type, though not 100% of the time, and have found certain principles to be true first hand.

For example, being A+, I find I am best suited to a vegan diet. Yet in that vegan diet, cabbage, potatoes, bananas and various other fruits and vegetables listed in the book, upset my stomach. Ditto for garbanzo beans (chickpeas).

I've been eating for my blood type for almost 6 years and have seen a drastic improvement in my overall health.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of such a thing. What is it all about?
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm sorry to say I don't have an answer for you but I'm curious to see what other people have to say. I do know that model Miranda Kerr eats for her blood type, and she claims that it makes her feel well. She's not endorsing it, but judging by her figure, I have to say that it must be doing something!
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    I've heard of dieting for your blood type, but never looked into it. I believe that the best thing is to eat sensibly and healthily. Recently I've had food allergy tests done (because of something else-not dieting). They showed I was allergic to wheat and gluten, among other things. Those are two very hard things to avoid, but believe me, I've been feeling better since I've been trying!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this. I am about to google it now.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    how do u even find out what ur blood type is?
  • krmi0701
    krmi0701 Posts: 2
    Options
    very interesting!!! I am going to look that up! :)
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    what's the best way to figure out what to eat for your blood type? I'm B+...
  • crebbe
    crebbe Posts: 18
    Options
    I have looked into this before but never followed it. All I remember is O - should avoid grains and beans :(
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My friend did that diet and I personally think it's a bunch of malarkey.
    When I saw what she was eating, it was a balanced diet of about 1200 calories. Anyone with any blood type
    would lose weight if they followed the program.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think its just another diet "gimmick" as well. The only sites that say this works are ones that are trying to sell it to you. There's zero evidence that backs it up.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-type-diet/AN01415
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    So I googled it, and found a book on Amazon for less than $2 used. So I figured it was not a big investment.

I am A+ and it sasid I should be a vegetarian. Hmmm who knows. Will not hurt to try.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @ DebbieMc3 - the blood type diet is not about losing weight in as much as it is about eating foods that enhance good health while staving off potentially ill health.

Perhaps your friend wasn't a very good representative of what the "eat for your blood type" truly represents. Maybe she thought of it and used it as a fad diet. It wasn't originally meant for that purpose.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It was "meant" to make money. It's one of the stupidest things I've heard. No basis at all in any way, shape, or form in how a body functions.