Question about exercising and calories

Options
I just joined today and i'm sure my question could be answered somewhere if I read more on this site (don't worry, I plan to tonight after dinner)

I entered in my exercise for today and I think it said I would burn around 270 calories (according to MFP) I did 15 minute 5mph run and 30 minutes walking at 3.5 mph. Here is where I am confused - I wear a HRM which said I burned 413 calories....which one do I follow??? Should I just skip checking the calories on my HRM and just follow the site, or do I follow my HRM and then how would I input that if I did??

Please Help.....

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    if your hrm is set for your height and weight and esp if you wear a heart rate monitor hrm, go by that it is more accurate than this site
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I would use the HRM as this site is just an estimate and every body burns differently!
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    if your HRM is set to your correct height and weight and all that good stuff I would definetly go with what the HRM says. during my workouts my HRM says I burn 35-75 more calories than MFP estimates. Always use the more reliable equipment!!! nice job today!
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Is there anyway to enter what my HRM says into the site? Or should I just take it into account when meal planning?
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can add your exercise and personalize it so that you can use that amount of time and calories burned instead of what MFP has listed.
    Under the exercise tab, click add exercise, in the search box type in "walking" or whatever your exercise is - then at the bottom of the page there's a tab that says "create exercise" - so add your minutes and calories burned - it will save it for you for the next time you need to use it.

Clear as mud??

Sorry if I didn't describe it right.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    your HRM. totally. MFP is definitely not as accurate as that if its calibrated for your height, weight, sex etc. Just click "create new exercise" when you look up stuff in the database, and write your stuff in!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    When you log your exercise, you can choose the entry that matches your workout, then manually enter the number of cals burned in the blank on the right.
  • hols_blue
    hols_blue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    HRM cos its knows the effort you put in. You can just change the amount of calories burnt to what your HRM says. I think MFP sometimes overestimates but saying that with some activites ie spinning it underestimates so in those cases i change it. Good Luck
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure what you're asking for, but I thought of three different ways to answer you! lol

You can enter what your heart rate monitor says. Like, if you picked "Walking, 3.5mph" and it said the calories burned for suchandsuch amount of time was 150, but your heart rate monitor says 250, you can manually enter 250.

I often find that MFP doesn't match what I burn. But that's mostly due to the fact that everyone burns calories at different rates. What MFP says may be right for some people, but not all.

And as long as the amount of calories you burned gets entered, I don't think it really matters what 'category' they go under. A burnt calorie is a burnt calorie :)
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you Thank you Thank you! You all have helped a ton and I changed everything to reflect what my HRM says and to double check I made sure it had my correct height and weight. :smile:

Now i'm off to do dinner....

Thanks again!
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    Just make sure it it set to female and not make...I had mine in make the first time! LOL! It does make a difference.