Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I've been calorie counting for about 10 weeks now and have lost 21 pounds, but I have yet to work out yet. However, my new goal is to work out at least 5 days/week. I was wondering if buying a cheap HRM would be worth it? I can really only spend around 25-30 dollars. I understand the pricey models are obviously better quality and was wondering if I would be better off just entering in my exercises on here and use whatever calories burned the site comes up with?

(Note: I know absolutely nothing about how hrms work, I just keep hearing ppl talk about them!)

Thanks in advance for any input. (:

Replies

• gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can use the number here, but I find it overestimates what I actually burn. I did without for quite a while but now that I have a HRM I can see how much of a difference there is. HRM definitely worth it!
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. HRM is definitely worth it! I just got mine Friday and really started using it today as I didn't work out much over the weekend. It is just so nice to KNOW instead of WONDER! Then again I'm a little OCD about all of this all of a sudden--wanting to know exactly what is going in and going out. But I definitely think it is an investment worth making
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    get one! you will love it! When you go to buy one just ask which one is the most user friendly.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You're buying a trinket to buy it. They're a hyped waste of money.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If you get one, be sure to get one that has a chest strap, as the others are not nearly as accurate. Wal-Mart sells a pro-form with a chest strap for about $40-$50, but that's probably the cheapest you'll find with a strap. They can be a little pricey, but I think they're a good investment...especially if your health is that important to you.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I am going to hold off a month or so until I can splurge on a more expensive, effective one. It doesn't really make much sense to spend 30 on one now when I could spend 60 on one next month w/a chest strap.