Does this really work?

Options
Ok I am a newbie to this site and I am kinda skeptical as to whether or not the whole "net" calories thing really works. I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the "eat exercise calories" idea. I have never done this, but my weight loss is also stalled. I lost about 25lbs and then didn't have time over the holidays to workout and ended up gaining 10 back. Now, despite doing P90X and Insanity every day since Jan 31, I have not lost a pound and maybe have lost 3 inches. My doctor suggested having my thyroid checked out but I don't have but maybe one or two symptoms of hypothyroidism. Can anyone tell me if they were in my same situation before coming to this site and then saw weight loss using the recommendations? I appreciate any help...

oh one other question....what does "bump" mean in the threads? I've seen it a lot and don't have a clue! Thanks!

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does ... I used this site and purchased a HRM and a food scale and was able to lose the 41 lbs that I want to lose starting in September 2010 and hit goal in February 2011. I did NOT cheat, I logged everything, I drank almost a gallon of water and I made sure to NET Over 1000 calories per day and as close to 1200 calories per day as possible. I planned my meals to where I had a deficit every day and therefore knew how much I had to burn in order to make the calorie allotment. TRUST this system.

Now, you are going to get a bunch of people saying OMG DON'T EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES ... sure you will lose weight but you will be storing fat and at some point, you will begin to gain. Those same people will likely say "oh, don't worry, you're working out so it's muscle and muscle weighs more then fat" yadda yadda ... Trust the system, eat your food, drink your water, watch your sodium ... it WORKS!

:)

edit: and yes, I did this over the holidays LOL
  • nibor
    nibor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've experienced what you have, but I do know that since I've tracked every calorie I've taken in and every calorie I've expended (through exercise) keeps in mind what I'm doing. I don't "cheat" recording my intake or output and to date, I've lost 19 lbs since January 3rd. I think this site is great because you DO have to log everything and if you stall in your weight loss, you can look back at your history in calories, fat, sodium and see where you need to make changes. Good luck in your weight loss and you've got lots of people here to help keep you motivated.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! bump is what folks put in the reply so that they can come back and read the thread at another time....the threads you reply to can be accessed on your profile page.

As for the calorie counting/eating thing...there is a lot of controversy here about whether or not to eat back calories...I personally am not a fan of it and don't do it. There are other strategies for boosting the immune system, such as change the calorie count from day to day; up one day, down the next - same with exercise.

Good luck and welcome!!!
  • bigbeth_02
    bigbeth_02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Before starting this site i would eat 1200 calories and whatever i burned in exercise was just that ,but now i eat 1200 calories and if i workout and get more calories for the day i do try and eat a little bit more i never eat all of them but your body does need fuel in order to burn more , and now since ive done this website ive lost about 10 lbs in a month when before i wasnt losing ,and ive lost quite a bit in inches as well. So whatever they tell you i think it works :0) ..i hope this info helps
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Net calories is key when counting calories ....the fact that u lose inches is a good sign....the next question would be, what are you eating? Most ppl don't realize that 80% of fat loss is what u eat and not necessarily how much you work out....Basically the body shouldn't go below 1200 net calories a day, once you do you risk starvation mode and won't lose any fat. MFP makes it easy for ppl to watch their net calories......as for eating your exercise calories, this is recommended for instance if you have only taken in 1200 calories for the day and burn some of that away leaving you with a net below the 1200 mark...your body requires fuel, so as long as you are keeping at a level in which you lose weight (as far as cutting calories go) then you should be fine. Remember a calorie is not a calorie...if you require 1200 net calories to lose fat, 1200 calories of sugar or other processed foods won't get you there....it should be 1200 calories of lean proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats...
    Good luck!
  • Dean31
    Dean31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eating back your calories kind of depends on how many calories you are taking in. Your body needs so many calories a day just to function. Your heart needs calories in order to beat-all of your organs need calories to function. You have a lot of "activity" going on inside you that requires calories.

I used to not eat back my calories burned through exercise, but I wasn't dropping below 1000 net calories a day either. After a few weeks, I became stronger and my stamina increased, and I began burning a lot more calories because I was working out a lot more and at greater intensity. I eventually reached a point at which I was burning a lot more calories and my net dropped to about 800 calories a day. When I reached that point i stopped losing weight and my fat loss stopped as well. I couldn't figure out why until I thought about it and figured out that my body wasn't getting enough calories for normal daily activity and basically went into "starvation mode." After coming to that decision I increased my calories so that I had a net of 1000 calories for that day, and the very next day I weighed 2 lbs less, and continued to lose from that point.

Basically, you have to look at your net calories and think about that number. If your goal is 1200 net calories a day, and you eat a total of 2000 calories a day, then burn off 800 through exercise, which leaves you with 1200 net, then no, you don't eat those calories back. But, if you eat 2000 and burn off 1200, which leaves you with 800, then yes, you need to eat at least 200 of those calories back or you risk your body going into starvation mode.

Also, you should think about when you eat as well. If you eat within 30 minutes of a good, intense workout, (and don't eat for at least 2 hours before) then your body will immediately send those calories to your spent, nutrient starved muscles rather than storing them for later use.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    it has for me!
    3697427.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you keep doin' whatcha been doin', then the it's worth a bird in a peartree. Or something like that.
  • JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find that calorie counting has worked well for me. It helps you know what you are taking in and being acountable to it. Before I was kind of going at it blindly. With this, it estimates your daily burn off of calories without any exercise, and then puts your daily goal below that. If you stick to it, you will lose fat for sure. The body has to get the energy from somewhere; if you are not eatting it, it has to come from stored fat.

Be careful what information you get here though, most of the people are like me and not experts. There is a lot of stuff about "starvation mode" out there and most of it isn't true. The basic concept is that you need a certain amount of calories to keep your metabolism at it's peak. If you go below that, your metabolism drops in order to conserve energy. Your metabolism works like a bell curve with caloric intake on x-axis. If you go into so called "starvation mode" you will still lose weight, just not as rapidly or effectively as before.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I lost a lot starting out by staying on track with just taking in the 1200 that was provided to me. I then started eating my cals back and my loss has stalled but I also started eating more empty cals so that is part of the problem. I do have hypothyroidism and take medications everday. This also makes my weight harder to maintain more or less lose. I don't know if eating back all of your cals will keep you out of starvation mode or if it is even real. What I do know is that the simple formula of calorie in calorie out has worked for years. I also know that I had two symptoms of thyroid issues and ignored them until I had to go through a round of radiation treatment. (it really was not that bad.) So please, if your doc says get it checked, get it checked! What can it hurt? It is a blood test. I have to get my levels checked again in the morning. If it is all good then you can rest easy. If it is not, then the treatment is really easy and it is better to know which factors are in the fight. Good luck!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much followed the site's recommendations and had good success. See ticker below. I eat all my calories, except for occasionally when I've had a big meal the day before and I'm just not that hungry. I do have a "cheat" meal on Saturday if I want it. The biggest thing, in my opinion, that kept my success going, was to eat clean. Once I cut most processed foods out of my diet, it was much easier to control fats, sugars, and sodium. The weight loss just followed along with a clean diet. Now I mostly eat lean meats, veggies, fruits, yogurt and nuts. I'm human, though, and I do have a treat every now and then, but only if I've earned it through exercise and I've met my goals for that week. You have to have patience and discipline and exercise self-control. Focus on the long term reward versus the short term impulse cravings. Good luck!
  • Dean31
    Dean31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree that you will eventually lose weight in "starvation mode," but I want to emphasize how unhealthy this is too. When I don't get enough calories, I have headaches and fatigue. You will eventually start to lose weight after a couple weeks, but this is because your body is burning its fat, and most importantly muscle, out of sheer desperation to stay alive. You would eventually reach a body mass that is healthfully sustainable at the calorie consumption level you are consuming, but you'd lose a LOT of muscle mass and it would be a very rough journey, ending with you in a very weak and malnourished state. I'm no expert either, but I have experienced this first hand (I, too, at one time thought the lower my calories, the better) and witnessed it in others, which has validated for me personally that "starvation mode" is very real. Besides, if you're like me, after an intense workout, you're gonna be hungry! Just focus on that net calorie number and stick to it. It does work! I went from 170 lbs and a jeans size of 36 (yeah, I'm kinda short lol) to 158 lbs and a size 31 jeans in 2 months ONLY after counting calories. Before that, I worked out intensely, but ate whatever I wanted, for 2 whole years without seeing any fat loss. Don't get me wrong, I gained strength and stamina, but I still had a gut, and big ol' butt LOL. Even though I felt great, I couldn't see the muscle I had built because I was maintaining a thick layer of fat over it. (You need to eat extra calories to build muscle, but then the type of calorie, and timing of your meals in correlation to your workouts become crucial, so that you do build muscle instead of just fat. It becomes a lot more complex than losing weight.)

Also, I want to point out that it can take time for you to see any results too. When I started here, I didn't see a single pound come off for 2 whole weeks, and I knew from doing this in the past that I was doing what I needed to do. I don't know for sure why, but my educated guess is that it just took that long for my metabolism to get going. I had been very sedentary for nearly 6 months and my body was very sluggish. It also could of been that I had added muscle, but I really doubt that because I was doing strictly cardio exercise (and not that much of it because I was so out of shape and just couldn't) and keeping my calories down.

And lastly, (I promise lol-sorry, I'm on a caffeine and endorphin buzz) men and women's bodies seem to react very differently when it comes to diet and exercise. I'm very confident in my knowledge of dieting and exercising for men, but have to admit I'm clueless when it comes to women. I'm clueless when it comes to thyroid issues too.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    MFP is a (very good) tool. We are what work. I've used MFP to learn an amazing amount of personal and general knowledge. It is up to me to figure out what works for me, and I doubt if my answers are what you need.
  • LYNNPETTY93
    Options
    HI!

All these weight loss sites are great. The tools are great tools. You use the pin and pad less with counting calories. You just log on, and the site does all the math for you. Giving you the insight and tools you need. I say, give the setting a try for one month, and if you don't lose anything. Go into your settings and change it up. Use this site and research your plan. All it takes is one step, and you have already made it. New at this or not... These weight loss support groups and weight loss sites... They really do help.
    I've lost over 80+ pound using weight loss sites, and I have also back slide too... But you keep at it. You never give up, and you never give in. It's all about doing, and if you are willing to start by logging your calories on this site, and following the suggestions guides.. You too will see weight loss, and be one of many on here.. Blogging about your weight loss journey. & success.

Good Luck to you.. And I wish you well on this "LIFE CHANGING JOURNEY".. It's a journey to health, and also a journey to finding you... That's how I look at it... It really works..