Meatless ideas that a meat and potatoes man will eat

Options
13»

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am pescetarian, and my husband is steak and tators all the way. I just cook two meals. Mine and his LOL. My son sometimes eats what I'm having and sometimes eats what daddy is having. I usually make sides we all will eat, and then either make fish or vegetarian main for me, and toss a chicken breast or steak or whatever on the george foreman for my husband. Doesn't really take much extra time and only adds one dish to the dirty dishes pile.
  • Lasa797
    Lasa797 Posts: 13
    Options
    I make beef stroganoff substituting mushrooms for the beef and plain, non-fat yogurt for the dairy. It is hearty and filling.
  • laydeedancer
    Options
    we are mostly meatless in my house, despite the fact that my husband is a huge meat eater. I use Morningstar crumbles in with chili and for things like stroganoff. I also find that mushrooms, especially portabellos are a good substitution for meat, as they add good smoky flavor. I make lots of soups - chili, white bean, split pea - without meat. I try to get as much protein from beans, almonds and whole grains.

I also make black bean sweet potato patties regularly, along with brown rice and veggies. My husband loves them and they are low calorie and tasty!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    shaunshaikh: OP believes meat consumption to be contributing to weight gain/lack of weight loss, so I'm guessing portion control is not yet their forte.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I make beef stroganoff substituting mushrooms for the beef and plain, non-fat yogurt for the dairy. It is hearty and filling.

I'm confused. Yogurt is dairy. Did you mean soy yogurt? I didn't even know stroganoff had any type of dairy in it....
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    shaunshaikh: OP believes meat consumption to be contributing to weight gain/lack of weight loss, so I'm guessing portion control is not yet their forte.

While shaunshaikh was giving his opinion and not focusing at all on the reason for the post or my request, at least he wasn't snarky about it. I don't need anyone to tell me what my forte is or presume to know anything about what I am capable or not capable of. I simply asked for a few new ideas on meatless meals. If you don't want to contribute to that discussion that's fine. I appreciate everyone else's efforts to provide me constructive information.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options

While shaunshaikh was giving his opinion and not focusing at all on the reason for the post or my request, at least he wasn't snarky about it. I don't need anyone to tell me what my forte is or presume to know anything about what I am capable or not capable of. I simply asked for a few new ideas on meatless meals. If you don't want to contribute to that discussion that's fine. I appreciate everyone else's efforts to provide me constructive information.

Actually, he repeatedly wondered aloud why you'd want to cut meat in your diet. I gave a possible reason why, as many people eat meat and lose weight. I wasn't intending to offend you. Sorry.
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wow - what a weird thread. If you don't want to cut out meat, don't, if you do, do :) It's a personal choice.

To the OP - what about doing eggplant parmesean? Or what about frittatas? If he likes eggs? I do frittatas quite frequently. I have one planned over the weekend that will have asparagus and smoked salmon in it. They are super filling, and easy.

I have been thinking more and more, that our thing with meat is a 'expectation' that it should be there. In reality, if we get over that, the need for it disappears quite a bit. I started cutting down on meat a year ago, by cutting our portions smaller and smaller. Then dropping it wasn't as much as a shock to our system. Servings for meat are in reality so small, I think when I started we were easily eating double that!
  • Lasa797
    Options
    ....in place of sour cream or heavy cream....
  • Lasa797
    Options

I'm confused. Yogurt is dairy. Did you mean soy yogurt? I didn't even know stroganoff had any type of dairy in it....

I can see how that would be confusing. I guess I meant in place of full fat sour cream or heavy cream.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Actually, he repeatedly wondered aloud why you'd want to cut meat in your diet. I gave a possible reason why, as many people eat meat and lose weight. I wasn't intending to offend you. Sorry.

I appreciate that clarification. I didn't mean to be so sensitive. I am not used to this forum thing.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options

I appreciate that clarification. I didn't mean to be so sensitive. I am not used to this forum thing.

Hey, no problem. And I don't mean to be so gruff, as I'm overly used to forums. ;-)