For the beginners on here how to determine what is safe

Options
2»

Replies

• spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    One question..I am a stay at home mother of 3 and just can't go to a gym..what do you recommend for strength training at home? I currently to turbo jams which also includes a few days of toning using light weights so do I need more? My total loss includes about 4 lbs of lean and I DON'T want that..thanks.. By the way I am on the 1200 calorie 5 foot 5 inches with a weight of 161 now. My healthy weight is 114-149 so I am aiming for about 120-125 (still need to lose 41 lbs) Also sending you a private message but thought others may want to know some of these things..
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Google "Body weight Exercise".

Homemade Freeweights:
    a gallon of water weighs approx. 8 lbs. (half gallon = 4 lbs, etc)
    5 or 10 lb bag of flour
    5 or 10 lb sack of potatoes

You get the idea. :bigsmile:

And if the budget isn't too tight, resistance bands are relatively inexpensive.
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hallelujah! That has been my problem. I joined MFP to make sure I was eating ENOUGH calories. That seems SO counter-productive when you have 60# to lose like I do, but it is totally the case. I have been watching my diet and exercising since January (seemed as good a time to commit as any) and I hit a plateau after 7# (7#!!!!!! ridiculous). So I started taking a closer look. I was only eating 1600-1800 calories per day with almost no snacking and working out at least 600-800 calories per day. My body thought I was STARVING an wouldn't let go of anything. So I've only been doing MFP for about a week and a half but I try to make sure I get to within 300-400 calories of my allotted calories and exercise calories combined. I lost 2.6# in the first week. Hopefully, at least another 1-2# this week. Who would've thought to break a plateau that I should eat more. It really kind of messes with your head and it seems opposed to everything we've been taught about weight loss, but your body really can't handle TOO much in the negative department before it tries to re-establish a balance. This makes logical sense so don't worry about throwing common sense(old wives' tales) out the window once in a while.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I am deeply offended. :grumble:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I am deeply offended. :grumble:
    lol suck it up princess, no seriously though there are always going to be those who read it for what they want to read and not what it really means.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    how about those who don't exercize regular ( I have been doing pretty good though) I am a stay at home mom of 4 ( 2 are in school though) I manage about 20/30 min walk's 2-5 days a week. MFP has me on a 1250 cal a day. I am 5'1 .5 and have about 120 lbs to lose to be at the HIGH end for my height ect. If I dont exercize at all should I eat less than 1250? Thanks for your imput I really appreciate it!! :)
  • StabR80
    Options
    how about those who don't exercize regular ( I have been doing pretty good though) I am a stay at home mom of 4 ( 2 are in school though) I manage about 20/30 min walk's 2-5 days a week. MFP has me on a 1250 cal a day. I am 5'1 .5 and have about 120 lbs to lose to be at the HIGH end for my height ect. If I dont exercize at all should I eat less than 1250? Thanks for your imput I really appreciate it!! :)
  • StabR80
    Options
    bump
  • bekmom57
    bekmom57 Posts: 16
    Options
    I appreciate your insight it helps to have it explained even better than some sights I've gone on.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Given the amount you have to lose I would not go any lower than 1250, you need 1200/day just to function as in breathe, produce waste and think properly. Try not to exceed 1.5/week, slower weight loss usually means the less resistance the body will put up to shedding the weight. The body does not want to be overweight, it goes against everything the body does want. With that said at that low a caloric intake make sure you are eating back the workout calories, you need to feed the fat burning machine in you and that is pretty low to do so. It will work at first but you will hit a wall once you get into the swing of it and have dropped some weight. My advice to you with that low of an intake is to research and really get into a clean eating diet to make sure you are getting the proper nutrition into your body. Just so I make it crystal clear here for everyone, it does not matter how much you workout if you do not feed the fat burning machine inside of you, you will not shed fat simple as that. 1200/day works fine for a while but go below that and the body will stop you dead in your tracks and be highly counterproductive to fat loss.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I manage about 20/30 min walk's 2-5 days a week. MFP has me on a 1250 cal a day. I am 5'1 .5 and have about 120 lbs to lose
    if you are carrying an extra 120 pounds at your height any form of exercise will benefit you but make sure you are feeding the body right. Think of it as a "skinny girl" carrying around 120 pounds all day. For someone your size it takes a tremendous amount of energy from the body to do that kind of a walk, and stick to it, working out will get easier as time passes. Congrats to you for getting out there and doing a good job.
  • StabR80
    Options
    I manage about 20/30 min walk's 2-5 days a week. MFP has me on a 1250 cal a day. I am 5'1 .5 and have about 120 lbs to lose
    if you are carrying an extra 120 pounds at your height any form of exercise will benefit you but make sure you are feeding the body right. Think of it as a "skinny girl" carrying around 120 pounds all day. For someone your size it takes a tremendous amount of energy from the body to do that kind of a walk, and stick to it, working out will get easier as time passes. Congrats to you for getting out there and doing a good job.

thank you for your insight. it always helps to have someone give advice from the outside!