Devastated and not doing well...

Options
Ugh! so i just recently went to the doctor and was informed that my cholesterol was high... This is upsetting! but i know i have huge issues with eating and lack of motivation. I know that I need to make some serious changes but I dont know where to start?!?!?!?! i have an issue with this because being an athletic trainer, im constantly working with people to make them healthier and prevent/treat injuries but when it comes to taking care of myself i'm completely lost!!!!!! Its discouraging because i feel like it makes me less of a person that i cant even take care of myself properly... I am a terrible emotional eater with severe depression and anxiety that I am medicated for. my life is in shambles...

Anything and everything you all can provide in the form of advice, resources, recipes, thinking strategies, motivation.... ANYTHING!!!!! will be unbelievably appreciated.

:(:'(:'( Help!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    start with lowering sodium/salt intake. One step at a time, my friend! ***HUGS****
  • danamfinn
    danamfinn Posts: 77
    Options
    Nicole,
    I see on your ticker that it says you are too scared to step on the scale...this should be your first step in order for your mind to fully trigger what is going on!

Have you watched Ruby? It is a show about a 700+ lb woman who is now down to 300+ and she is also an emotional eater, etc. This show is on the Style network, but right now Ruby is trying to figure out why she is an emotional eater, why she is depressed and what is triggering her to constantly fill the void with food. I think that you need to look back and try to figure out why and what is causing you to keep putting food in your mouth, and start there.

You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. You can do it, stay strong, and just take it one day at a time!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. You're not a failure. It happens. Cholesterol is genetic AND diet, a combination. The great part is you are still young and you can correct this! So my advice is get yourself a subscription to Cooking Light! I LOVE that magazine. Provides all of the nutritional information and the recipes are delicious. And get ready to MOVE your body. Eating well (tracking calories and cholesterol in your food diary) and moving your body and exercising that heart will do wonders for you. Just walking every day (as you know) is a great help!

You'll have to adapt your diet. Eliminate the fried, the oily, the greasy and the gross and you'll feel and look better.
    You can do this! Weigh in. Take an assessment. Set reasonable goals for yourself. Track all of your food, even if you go over. You are going to do great. You just need to start. And do it one day at a time.
  • simply_lovable08
    Options
    Stay strong Nicole. We all go through our rough patches. Don't beat yourself up. The best thing you can do for yourself is be positive. Keep working. I am sure you will get that cholesterol under control. Being as though you're an athletic trainign I am thinking the hardest part for you may be getting your eating where you need it to be. I am currently working on correcting my eating issues. I wasn't eating breakfast or eating regularly. I am trying to learn how to eat enough. So I understand your plight. I am here to offer you support if you need it so feel free to add me as a friend.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Please try some meditative activity - yoga or tai chi or deep breathing staring at the wall - for at least 15 minutes, about 1-3 hours before bed time each night. Oxygen in your brain will help steady your nerves. Remember it took years to build the body you have now, it is not going to change overnight. You are in this for the long haul.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    1st...please don't be so hard on yourself.:flowerforyou: 2nd remember small changes add up. Use this site for a week of your normal eating and then take a good long look at what your eating...both fat and sodium. Then look around at others diarys and see how we make little changes to get thoes numbers down. My biggest "small" change is a laughing cow wedge in place of cheese and mayo on my sandwichs....but I am sure other people on here have great ideas. Oh a great go to site for low cal/fat/sodium foods is skinnytaste.com love it! You can do this...you just need to have faith in yourself. Add some friends on here who will have faith in you too.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Hi! well I think that you def. should try to go for walks a couple times a week. Eat a lot of veggies and when cooking use Adobo seasoning low sodium it contains 0 calories and it doesn't have much sodium in in. Also try cooking with cooking spray. Just take it a day at a time. But in the long run in 30 days if u try to do simple changes im pretty sure you will see some kinda improvement.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Awwww......I wish I could give you a big hug right now.....I remember how hard it is to be overweight and start getting motivated (with me, it was time after time after time....) I finally got tired of all the yoyo'ing (is that a word? LOL) that at the age of 49, I went and had gastric bypass surgery. It's not for everyone, thats for sure.....But it got me off the rollar coaster and I now enjoy good health. I've had a slight gain and thats why I'm here, to get this 23 lbs back off.
    I guess there's no magic bullet for anyone, including me and my RNY surgery, but this site is certainly helping me! There's a LOT of very kind and helpful folks on here! (and a few "not so great"....) but you get that on any website. For the most part, this fitness site is awesome! Add me as a friend, if you like and we can cheer each other on!! Best of luck to you, sweetie! Just take it one day at a time. Big hugs!!!! Marci
  • scopelk
    scopelk Posts: 43
    Options
    make sure you fast for that test..
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I promise you can do this - don't look at the big picture right now, just take it one day at a time, or even one meal at a time. The beginning is the hardest part. Hang in there and you will see results. You mentioned some health issues; after I learned I have diabetes, I found the book 'Healthy for Life', by Dr. Ray Strand, to be very helpful. His approach to overall health, weight, and diet worked for me. I don't think the book is in print anymore, but you might be able to find it on amazon. You are in a tough place right now, but once you get started you will begin to feel better. On the inside and outside! :smile
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    I also suffer from depression/anxiety also it took everything I had to post my weight to this site but nobody here judges you they are great supportive people I started 20 days ago and have lost 6.6 lbs everybody here makes me feel like I am doing an awesome job especially my group of friends they are awesome. You need to start with weighing in then read peoples diaries see what they are doing. But keep in mind everyones different so it might take you a couple of weeks to find what best works for you,request some friends to support you and just start slow.
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try and approach food with a new outlook. Look at it as a way to replenish your body and provide yourself with the nutrients essential to being healthy, living longer, and feeling good. Try and make good choices one meal at a time and know that each choice will bring you closer to your goals (or further away.. your choice). If you stick to "clean" foods such as whole grains, fruits, veggies, healthy fats and lean meats your cholesterol will reduce significantly. Your skin will glow, your hair will shine, your energy will increase and most of all you will feel good about yourself. I wish you the best of luck :) You can do it!!!
  • diamond419
    diamond419 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up! You're already doing something right because you're on here seeking help. I don't know what your diet is like, but with cholesterol issues, I'd stay far away from fried foods, cheeses, etc. Eat plain oatmeal for breakfast. I use the non-flavored, regular Quaker instant oatmeal and I sweeten with a packet of Truvia. You can add some egg whites for additional protein.
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    First step is to recognize so congrats, I too am an extreme emotional eater, I have found that doing little things like always having
    gum many, many, many different flavors available helps, also I will log on and write my mood in my edit notes on my home page, I always carry a huge bag (co workers laugh at me) of my own safe healthy foods with me so that I wont have to reach for something that I know is off limits. I don't know if this helps you at all, but it helps me. Just never give up!!!!
  • Ellie_1972
    Ellie_1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicole,

I'm really sorry to hear that your going through a tough time, you should know that we all have our moments of devastation & depression. You also have the power to turn it around, us women are powerful & strong! You are worth taking care of yourself and you can make the decision to do whatever you set your mind to. You should first NOT allow the scale to scare you or represent who you are, EVER! You get on that scale so that you have a place to start. Make small adjustments everyday to strengthen your routine of eating & working out, do not keep anything in your house that will sabotage your healthy eating. If it's not there you won't scarf it down, which will only depress you more. I am currently working out to Turbo Fire w/ Chalene Johnson & I love it! She is so motivational. On that note you should surround yourself with people who have the same goals & outlook, keeping yourself inspired to be better & do better and the rest will fall into place. I hope this helps....keep your head up!
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    Please try some meditative activity - yoga or tai chi or deep breathing staring at the wall - for at least 15 minutes, about 1-3 hours before bed time each night. Oxygen in your brain will help steady your nerves. Remember it took years to build the body you have now, it is not going to change overnight. You are in this for the long haul.

TOTALLY!!!! Yoga is amazing for overall health. My son practices yoga to help deal with his anxiety and severe ADHD. Before he starts his school work (homeschooled because he's too easily distracted for PS and its still stressful) and then if he needs to take a break he'll do some breathing exercises before starting back up, then he does a little yoga and the end to give him clarity - he's much better at retaining information and understanding it when he does his exercise! The panick attacks have gone down a TON too. Anytime you can get clarity is a good time :) It will help with all your struggles to a degree - at least to help you find solutions.
  • didazzles
    didazzles Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Nicole,

I am in awe of your ability to be honest with yourself. You are such a delightful spirit, open, honest and caring - I can tell by your profession.... helping others! As you can see from all of the wonderful souls who are offering their support to you, you are not alone in your feelings of dispair. Please, if you believe nothing else, remember on this day, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! You are loved and supported and everyone on this site understands. Wake up tomorrow and say to yourself that you are loved and not alone. Re-read all of the supportive messages here and BELIEVE THEM. Then take the advice that most resonates with you. This journey of weight loss is actually a journey of self discovery. You have already taken the first step by joining MFP and opening up. I'm sooo proud of you!!! I have to tell you that what helped me the most was logging everything that I ate - even if the food choices were not the most loving choices for my body. I got some friends to join and they have helped. We are all on this journey together. Where you are now, others have been, so read their stories, and begin to believe that you too can have success. We are with you. Dare to believe that you can make ONE healthful decision for your self a day. Just one. Share that success with us. And let's take it from there. You are surrounded with support. Lean on it when you need to. Love and light to you ....
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I suggest reading the book "The Amen Solution - the brain healthy way to lose weight and keep it off". You said you're an "emotional eater". This book has a "brain quiz" to help identify your brain type. There are 4 - Implusive eater, Compulsive eater; Impulisve-Compulsive; Sad; and Anxious. You can have more than 1 type. Lucky me - I'm all of them! BUT, the reason I'm suggesting it is that after you identify your brain type there are specific suggestions for your brain type. I've been following this for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and I can honestly say that I feel MUCH better and feel that this book is on the right track....for me anyway! I can even honestly say that I've been able to easily walk past the treat table at work and it's not an interanl battle. I don't want the sugary stuff that's there. This sight is key for me to track my calories....plus motivation and support. I wish you the veryh best. You deserve a happy healthy life.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have also suffered from depression and anxiety, and I'm glad to hear that you are taking care of that. Depression and anxiety is just as much about biology as anything else. Listen to your doctors.

Because of this, it is easy to get overwhelmed. Start with a single step -- a single goal that you can do easily. It might be going for a walk -- it might be about increasing your water intake. It's all up to you.

Everyone here is very friendly and supportive -- and we're here if you need us!
  • gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    I know it sounds kinda silly considering your profession but have you thought of hiring someone else to do the thinking for you and just following their advice or the routine they set up for you? It may be just what you need so you won't be beating yourself up all the time. You sound like a really cool person that is very caring of others, time to care about you too!