eating a bit too little or too much?

Options
I'm always just under my max calories a day without exercise or 100-200 calories under with exercise. My rate of weight loss has slowed. I feel uncomfortable eating more in the first place, but has this behavior slowed my metabolism? Should I eat more? However I'm very short and still overweight, and I feel like I should just always eat less, but I know that can end badly!

Replies

• nomayyy
    nomayyy Posts: 28
    Options
    Well in order for you to lose one pound a week, you need to have a calorie deficit of about 500 a day. So if you're eating just under your maximum number of calories a day, you will not lose weight. You might want to either exercise more, or you might want to cut down on the calories a bit to get faster results!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Your calories should, as a general rule, be within 100 calories of your Goal calories (the one that changes with added exercise).

Check out the link in my thread, it references several other threads on this subject. Or this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing
  • bwleung89
    bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I actually just read something in men's fitness on the same thing. They said its better to go 10% above, 10% below and right on your calorie count for the day. It keeps the body guessing. Its a "Zig-Zag".
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Your goal is set for you to lose that 1, 1.5, 2 pounds a week, so I'd eat the goal amount [or within 100 calories of it]. Be sure that you are checking in with your weight bi-weekly though as your calorie goal is dependant upon your weight ... so if you're eating to lose 1 lb a week with a recorded weight of 140 lbs and you're really 135 lbs, your weight loss is going to slow because you will be eating too many calories.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You have a certain amount of calories your body needs to maintain weight. If you eat 500 calories less you loose weight ( which is the amount that the sites recomends for you) if you eat less than that your body goes to starving mode and you stop loosing weight or takes forever to loose it. Eat the recomended to loose weight. Don't sabotage your progress by eating too little. I know 'cause I did it too.
  • LionheartedDonna
    LionheartedDonna Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've already gotten into a habit of eating too little once where I was eating 600-800 calories a day, and it took forever to get out of it, both the habit and the plateau. I'm really scared it'll happen again. I exercise everyday, I never go over, but I'm not losing anything.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Things slowed down quite a bit for me, as well. I'd read the posts, heard advice, etc. about eating more and like you, I was scared and thinking that's just not right. Well, I figured, what've I got to lose?! I increased my calories and last week, I lost 2 lbs. I'm not saying those results will be the same for everyone. But, do increase your intake. The first week or two you might stay steady or gain a pound or two. Be patient and you'll lose again.
    Just don't keep starving yourself; otherwise, you're going to do more damage than good.

Best wishes!! :)