Heart Rate Monitor-which is best for weight loss

Options
Does anyone know of a good, reliable, inexpensive heart rate monitor? I am not an athlete so I don't need all the bells and whistles. Just a good and most importantly "accurate" heart rate monitor. I am trying to lose weight the most efficient way possible and would like to stay in my target heart rate zone when working out. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Replies

• ryan8b32
    Options
    I find Reebok brands are cheap and reliable. I owned one for a year before I got my more expensive Garmin GPS model...

I would stray away from the Walmart branded versions...they're crap.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I got one at Wal-Mart for less than $30 and so far so good.
  • Jen514
    Jen514 Posts: 16
    Options
    @Ryan8b32 - Thanks for the advice because I was going to go there tomorrow morning! Guess not...LOL.
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT7. I have ready several reviews and it was the right choice for me weight loss journey. It's $119, but from what I heard, it's going to be become your best friend. I wouldn't go cheap....
  • racheltrantham
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 today for $80, and I love it! I would definately reccomend it :smile:
  • feenixgate
    Options
    Polar Heart rate monitors.

Pros.
    - They work with most of the machines at the gym ( the majority carry the Polar logo)
    - They are reliable. I have used Polar for at least 5 years.
    - Waterproof for a a few meters (check each model)

Cons.
    - You need to send it to the factory to have the battery replaced (less than $10 and it happens between 2 years and 3 years of use)

I personally use GR2025 (I upgraded to this one last year) This model includes the heart rate, calories, and my favorite feature - the fitness log. It keeps at least 10 records. Which is great tool to log in your workout with this website or to view your overall progress (it displays it in bar graphs).

** Stay away from any brand that does not use the heart rate strap - they tend to be less accurate, ***

Good luck!!!
  • Jen514
    Jen514 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've been all over the internet and Polar does have good reviews. I guess I will take the recommendations of you three ladies. Thanks much!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a polar FT7 it's great and it actually makes me try a little harder with exercise watching the calories burned clock over.
  • Rocio12
    Rocio12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Check out Overstock.com
    got a Timex HRM workin pretty well!