The 17 Day Diet

Options
I was wondering if any of you have tried the 17 day diet or are you currently on it? I got the book and I tried it out but quit the first day (yes, I know I'm pathetic lol). I just couldn't figure out how it was healthy at all. Basically you go through 3 cycles of 17 days. The first cycle you eat all of the protein and veggies you want, 2 servings of probiotics, and 2 servings of fruit (before 2 pm). I am not big on meat so it was really hard for me to get enough calories. The first day I also joined this site and figured up that I had only eaten 800 calories. I felt like I was going to pass out. I have to have some kind of sugar in my system or I feel like I'm going to pass out. Even if it's just a sweet fruit, it helps. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this diet and if they found any results..also how did they survive? lol. Again absolutely NOTHING to eat except fish,chicken, or turkey and veggies with 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of a probiotic. INTENSE!

Replies

• themsbauer
    themsbauer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thats like the HCG diet. on that one its only 500 calories a day. i wanted to do it but it seems way to few calories
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I was curious about that book.... maybe I'll just stick to what I'm already doing.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of the fad diets out there...I'm vegetarian so I would have to have beans, soy, fish (yes I do eat fish but that's it), and that would give me enough protein for the day, but I'm not too keen on the diets that make you avoid certain foods, unless you want to avoid them. Cutting out white sugar is a good thing, but if you don't get enough sugar from fruits, etc., it's going to make you as sluggish, if not more that it does when you just eat sweets. When I see I'm under my 1200 minimum calories, I always grab a piece of fruit...usually an apple with some nutella and peanut butter...satisfying to the body as well as to the calorie count.

3545161.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That sounds both weird and extremely dangerous (especially if your body isn't accustomed to digesting much meat).

Listen to your body when trying out new diet plans. If something doesn't feel right, there's probably something very wrong with that diet (even if it's worked for somebody else).
  • chelledmal
    chelledmal Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I do know several people that are currently doing the diet and are very successful doing it. I am really not excited about dieting...I think it's more important to have a life style change. That being said though, check out this facebook page. I get several recipes from there.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/17-Day-Diet/178916518816387
  • Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    I have been to that website! I "liked" it when I first started it but now not so much! I just think everyone's bodies are different. Also I think these people are going to gain most of the weight back that they lost just because they cut their calories so much. As you move through the cycles you gradually add more food in but people generally get frustrated with it and go back to cycle one to lose the weight again or to lose more weight, which I believe isn't healthy either. I explained on the fb page that I didn't feel comfortable with it and it was making me sick eating so much protein and no sugar at all. I basically got my head ripped off. These people swear by it and if someone is against it they get p**ssed!! lol. The HCG diet is ridiculous too..one of my "friends" on base here did it because she was too lazy to work out..not trying to put down anyone that did/does the diet. She literally did not want to get off the couch so she wanted a quick fix. She lost 30 lbs in 2 weeks and has gained it all back. SURPRISE!!
  • cassienv
    cassienv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the first two cycles pretty strictly and then decided I was just eating healthy and I can do that on my own. I ate more than 800 cals though. In fact, it felt like all I was doing was eating..veggies all day long! with some yogurt, kefir, eggs, chicken and turkey tossed in. I was full and I lost weight..10lbs the first 17 days and 5lbs the second 17 days. I'm actually thinking of doing the first cycle again because of the carb cravings I have been having lately. (no carbs in that cycle)
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the book and have not tried it yet since I had basically been eating like that. I was interested in the 2nd & 3rd cycle where you cycle between having carbs every other day to avoid plateaus. I think the key to it (like other low carb diets/paleo) is the part where they say "PLENTY" as the amount of the protein and learn to pay attention to when your body has had enough. I have found that you either have to count calories OR eat low carb and make sure you get lots of the allowed foods. I have a friend who was working out a lot and trying to switch over to paleo with not enough information: she was logging her low carb diet here (while still doing small portions of her meats) , working out a lot and wasn't losing anything. It turns out her calories were way too low without the carbs causing her body to hold onto the weight. Her brain was used to portion control and calorie counting and she couldn't wrap her head around eating more to lose. You need to eat a lot of the allowed foods on low carb to fuel the body & workouts. I guess one could use this site to keep track of grams of carbs and to make sure you are getting enough calories (by eating enough of the proteins). I am by no means an expert, though. I just had to figure out what works best for me. Many people have great success with the low carb/paleo, etc, but I have found it is not something I can live with long term and I don't feel that great in my workouts. I get to a point where I would hurt someone for a half of a whole wheat english muffin! I do best keeping track of my calories and having good whole grain carbs. I don't feel so deprived. If I feel like I need the push, I'll have my carbs the first part of the day and not after lunch. The book I have really been liking is the Jackie Warner "This is why your fat" ...it is something I can live with even after my goal weight is reached and the recipes are things the whole family can enjoy. I hope all this helps and makes sense :) Good luck!
    457035.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cassienv
    cassienv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went back to my food log to see how many cals I was eating, 1000-1600 a day. And you do get to eat fruit, cheese, and health fat (such as flax or olive oil)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I got the book and tried it out for a few days, but didn't stick to it. I have used it for some ideas on food and used some recipes, but I just can't stick to it. After reading the book I decided that I would probably do better trying to eat healthier overall and only make sustainable life changes. I know that is what the book is supposed to work up to, but I just couldn't get through all the restrictions of 'cycle 1.'
  • Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    Yeah, I just think everyone is different. I need more fruit then just 2 servings a day. I LOVE fruit..and I hate meat so it was hard to get through it.
  • fifibox
    fifibox Posts: 69
    Options
    Yeah I saw Dr Phil recommend that book today but unless you are paying al the different health professionals around you to help you through e.g. dietician, nutritionalist and PT, then it sounds a little impossible... for me anyway