Plateu'd!

Options
For the 2nd week running I've not lost anything, and am totally fed up with it. I track everything I eat, swim twice a week (50 minutes each session), do yoga once a week and try to be as active as I possibly can at all other times, given my full-time desk job and still having a bit of "me" time with the better half!

I've lost 12.5lbs over 8 weeks but at the mo, the scales won't budge.

I'm trying to so hard to remain positive but to be honest, I've had enough.

Replies

• kristo
    kristo Posts: 12
    Options
    How often do you eat? What types food do you eat?

You need to eat often (6 times per day) with a balance of protein, carbs and fats leaning more of the protein and less of carbs. Eat 'better carbs' also.

Id also try mixing up the exercise a bit now. Get out of the pool an try elliptical training or jogging. It is normal to hit a level so you need to change things up to continue. Also 12.5lbs is a lot of weight to lose. It may be that you don't need to lose more?
  • ellsq
    ellsq Posts: 12
    Options
    Well done on the 12.5lb loss!

You're doing fantastically - it might be that you just need to wait it out or perhaps you could change part of your routine to stop your body getting too comfortable. Either way, every time you make healthy choices or exercise, you are making your body healthier and stronger - which are things to be proud of!
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    You've done great so far! Almost everyone plateaus - it's totally normal. After losing a certain amount of weight (it will be different for everyone), your body will always try and level things out so to speak. Two weeks really isn't that long. How much weight do you have left to lose? If it's only a relatively small amount (10lbs - 20lbs or so), it's much healthier and safer for it to come off slowly. I have about 5lbs left and the scale hasn't moved for me in almost three months, but I've still lost inches and have toned up. If you have more to lose, your body is probably just trying to catch up. Try switching things up - vary your workout routine or your diet. Have a 'cheat meal' or go over your calories for one day to shock your body and rev up your metabolism. Make sure you're eating enough for the exercising that you're doing, maybe increase your protein intake if it's low. Just change something, anything!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen. Let them. Have patience. If your body were to constantly lose weight all the time, your internal organs would start shutting down because they couldn't keep up with such a drastic loss. You don't have to remain positive...but it helps your body more than you think to do so. Stress leads to a buildup of Cortisol, which is the hormone that naturally combats stress, and tries to put your body into a comfort zone. That includes slowing your metabolism so that your bodily functions remain calm. And exercise, is a physical stress. So, the more mentally stressed you become, the more Cortisol fights off any incoming stress, so the less effective physical stress [i.e. exercise] becomes.

Your body is just readjusting to its new weight. The body will start losing weight once it's ready. In the meantime, enjoy it. You might even find out that increasing your calorie intake to move the scale up, might make it easier for it to move down, since it will have started moving in some direction.

....Or do the opposite and completely give up and allow yourself to not see the accomplishment you've already achieved thus far and let it regress back to its former state prior to your healthier lifestyle. It's totally up to you. Just make a decision and be happy with it.

With that, I wish you success with whatever choice you make.
  • Deevs
    Deevs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Kristo - trust me, there's still a lot to shift!

I don't really get any pleasure out of going to the gym, but love my swimming. I used to power-walk (I've done 2 power-walking marathons for charity) so maybe it's time to plug in the iPod and go out for a few 6am power walks before work. TIme is a big issue - my partner and I belong to a lovely health club where we go on Mon, Weds and Thurs - perhaps the power walking could happen on the mornings I don't go to the club.

As for foods - I'm training to be a nutritionist, so hopefully I'm eating a balanced diet! lol. I religiously weigh all pasta, rice and potatoes, have cut down drastically on the amount of bread I eat and trim the fat from all meat (try not to eat too much red meat too). I am stuck in a bit of a lunchtime rut though - crispbreads are beginning to resemble carpet tiles ......

Thanks for all your encouragement, and I will keep going - I can almost see those size 16 jeans (I was a size 22).

x
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Well done on what you have lost so far :flowerforyou:

Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • wannabalozer
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss so far!

Found a calorie calculator which shows you how you can zig zag your calories.. eating more one day and less on the other but at the end of the week you will eat the same amount of calories. I echo another writer.. perhaps your body is used to what you're doing. Maybe you need to "trick" it into thinking you're not dieting. Also, try eating some of your workout calories. Your body just might be in starve mode if you're burning off calories needed just for basic bodily functions...

Actually, i found myself in the same situation a few weeks ago. Three weeks there was no change after a pretty consistent loss in 70 days. Well, long story short, I zig zagged my calories for one week and the scale moved again (down!). It's worth a try.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Deevs
    Deevs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of zig-zagging, and having an "off the scale" day. I'm going out for a pub meal with a good friend tonight and after my weigh-in disappointment this morning, was thinking of baling on her. I think I shall just go out as planned, and have a "normal" meal from the pub menu and not beat myself up about the calories in it.

All of your comments, links etc are really really helpful - thank you.

x
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've heard the first ten percent is the easiest.

I hear you-- I've plateaued as well, but I just have to convince myself that this is about more than weight loss. You're healthier, and the weight WILL come.

Best,

Debbie
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I plateaued for almost 3 mths. I evaluated my eating again and upped the exercise , started to drink 1.5 lt of water a day and I started losing again...