To shy to exercise!!

Options
How do you all do it? I get so self concuous (sp?) when trying to do any sort of excercise I walk loads usually with my 6month old strapped to my front or carrying my 2year old (that's not going to happen for much longer as he's 42lb) but I feel I should do more. I like jogging but have never has the confidence to do it as I feel like people will laugh at the fat woman going for a run! I know its probably all in my head but I can't get over myself and just do it.

has anyone got any tips on how to cope with this or who feels the same as I feel like the only person.

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Can you do a workout dvd at home? i really like Jillian michaels 30 day shred only 20 mins and you get a really good workout. What about zumba? can i look for a class near you? In my class we have women of all shapes and sizes and we have such a giggle wiggling our booty! try it!

If you are still embarassed? what about an early morning or evening run?
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I think when I see a larger person exercising.

In my head, " Good for them, I hope they keep it up."
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Be proud of the fact that you are doing something to get in better shape - anyone who laughs at that is a moron, and not worth worrying over! Walking is great, and I started adding the odd 30 seconds of jogging to it, building up slowly. Take a look at the C25K programme
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Most people are just as worried as you are ! if your worried about what people are thinking Don't ! i'm 50 i remember the first time i went to a body pump class, i was worried i would be the oldest , the most out of shape, i went in and i was not the oldest, nor the most out of shape !! just go for it !

My daughter lost over 100lbs she was a size 24 she started by walking with her headset on listening to music, now she is a size 12 and runs, find something you enjoy and don't worry about other people ! good luck on your journey, and keep smiling your doing this for YOU :flowerforyou:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Good for you even thinking about exercise with a 6 month old! Can you even run yet, I couldn't have done! I'd just keep up with the walking. I lost all my baby weight second time round just walking everywhere, about 6 miles a day.
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    To be honest I thought like that too, then I just said F*** it. I'm doing this for me and I don't care what people thought.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just know that you are bettering your self. i used to be VERY self concious, expecially exercising around my bf of 5 year, but i just figured, he will remember this "big" moment of mine, when i can show him how far i have come! So when im not stuggling and huffing and puffing around him he'll say, " baby, your looking good" or " baby! you did it!" and the point is if you have just ONE person supporting you through "thick" and "thin" and not care what STRANGERS think, you'll be better mindsetted. This i PROMISE you! So im tell you, YOU GO GIRL! WORK IT! YOU CAN DO THIS AND FORGET WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK! YOUR BETTERING YOUR SELF THROUGH EXERCISE! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean I am still a bit afraid to jog. I hate to see people look at me and laugh I think "I am trying to change myself and you laughing at me isn't helping that change" But they are the ones who are wrong, use it as motivation.

DO what makes you comfortable. I used to go to the gym with old jeans over my sweat pants because I couldn't stand how I looked in them. Now I have no problems wearing sweat pants.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Anybody who has jogged more than a block in there adult life, will be cheering you on. Those that have not jogged in there adult life will be jealous and wish they could do what you are doing.
    Every step you take is one step toward being better.
  • RHorihan
    RHorihan Posts: 2
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from!!! I worry about the very same things. I walk for an hour twice a day with my 12month old in a stroller and our dog. I also squeez in the Biggest Loser work out on the wii when i have time. I also find it nice to run with my dog either really early or really late, its good for the both of us and i dont really worry about people seeing me. You are going to do great!!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Anybody who has jogged more than a block in there adult life, will be cheering you on. Those that have not jogged in there adult life will be jealous and wish they could do what you are doing.
    Every step you take is one step toward being better.

Couldn't have said it better!!!

I started jogging both at the gym and outside a few months ago. My pants ride up my crotch, I breathe heavy, I sweat a TON, and I probably look like I'm close to death...but I'm proud!!!!:laugh: I'm doing it!!!! I can run further now then I ever could! Just did a mile for the first time a few weekends ago. Want to know what got me inspired? I saw a girl, bigger then me, jogging on the tredmill at the gym. I thought, "Wow look at her go! That is is so awesome!", so the next day I tried it.

Work it out!!!!:smile: Go be someones inspiration!
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl! When I go to the gym, I go with one thought to work it out.. If ppl look at me it's OK because I'm here for me and no one else.. And if they laugh that is OK too because when I leave I feel really good and they can not take that away from me...
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as for advice (if being an inspiration is enough :laugh: ) Bring a friend along. I always feel stronger with a good girlfriend by my side!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have ever laughed at anyone running. I used to think "wow, how do they do that?", now I think "I wish I could join you".
  • swt228hrt
    swt228hrt Posts: 16
    Options
    I used to b extremely shy going to the gym at my heaviest, and sometimes I still get the urge to run and hide when there are a lot of people there. But what I tell myself is to just imagine how all the people there that are supposedly looking at me weird now will look at me when I'm at my healthiest, and those that aren't there anymore to judge, well I showed them up in another way haven't I?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I started out with home dvds and walking. Then I got more and more in shape and began jogging. Now I Zumba, Power pump, and run on the treadmill. As I get used to the exercise, I find I'm not really all that worried about what anyone else is thinking.
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    Who cares what other people think?!? You are a strong, beautiful woman who is taking steps in the right direction to be healthy! I, too was self conscious at first, and started working out at home. BUT, then I figured maybe I could use being around others who were working out for motivation. Now I sport my swimsuits at the YMCA with all the other shapes and sizes in the water. Go me!!You keep going! Keep that head up high, and reach that goal! We are all behind you!:flowerforyou:
  • blackdragonclare
    Options
    thanks everyone for your kind words and giving me the kick up the bum I needed. I'm going to start out at home as I figure if I can get over being shy around myself I will get more confident around others. thank you all again I wish I had found this site sooner its great.