eating out

Options
hi every1, just wondering does any1 no any healthy options to go for when eating out at a spanish tapas restaurant?:wink: xx

Replies

• JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    Our local Spanish restaurant added catfish skewers to their appetizer menu. They are literally pieces of catfish, very lightly floured. They've been so successful that other restaurants have added them to their menu for people who want healthier choices than the beans, cheese and fat. Maybe your restaurant can do something similar?
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    good thing about tapas is that they are small plates...maybe just watch your portion control don't order too many dishes?
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    A lot depends on whether their dishes are baked or fried. For me (I am half) the baked doesn't have a different flavor, it is mostly texture. Most places also have salads. If you order something your really like, only eat a portion of it. Take the rest home for another meal or two. :) Cuts your caloric intake by a ton. Freeze the left overs if you want them for another day and when you reheat, use your oven.

Hope this helps some:laugh:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    In a tapas place I'd probably have some papatas bravas, since they're in a tomato sauce, maybe some olives, and possibly a fritatta. Some cured meat like Iberian ham if they had it. I'd avoid anything stuffed with cheese, fried, or swimming in garlic butter.

But it is an easy place to watch your portion sizes, especially if you share a selection of dishes with others.
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'd go for the tortilla (frittata), and there's usually a dish involving chickpeas (garbanzo beans in American) and spinach. If you can link us to the menu we can help more!