Nike+ Help!

Options
So this may sound like a silly question, and you may be thinking "Why didn't she ask when she bought the shoes?", but I promise I'll explain. My questions is, do I need to have an iPhone, iPod Shuffle, or iPod Touch to track my stuff with the shoes? Or, is there something else available? I don't want to spend a crap-ton of money on an "i" something.

And to answer your question about not asking the sales person when I purchased the shoes, I don't like to ask questions to the sales associates. For a few reasons, I don't want to be "talked" into purchasing something and I always feel like they are too busy and I don't want to bother them with my "silly" questions.

Thanks bunches for your help!

Replies

• JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    iPhone or iPod tuoch or iPod nano (though nano needs not just the little foot/shoe pod but also the adapter)
    Nike also makes a watch if you don't want an ipod

and there is a polar heart rate monitor wearkink strap that works with the system too

http://www.apple.com/search/?q=nike+&section=global&geo=us
  • laurennn16
    Options
    Yea, you have to have an apple device to use it. Nike+ was made exclusively for iPod, which is why the app comes with all the music devices for free.
  • kurtestinoso
    Options
    I believe you can use any other phones as long as it supports the apps.. take Blackberry for an example. =)
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    you don't need an iPod or iPhone if you have the Sportband kit -- which comes with the sensor and wrist 'watch'. If you do have the compatible POLAR HRM /NIKE+transmitter -- it will ONLY work with the Sportband _or_ one of the apple gadgets -- but not with the phone or the iPod Nano generation that I already had

Too bad you didn't ask before you bought it but maybe you can trade in your sensor for the sportband kit. Good luck!
  • jmp0056
    jmp0056 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there... no you don't need an iPhone or iPod to use the nike+ shoes. You can get a nike+ armband for about $60Dlls. That kit comes with the sensor already and you can see your progress and pace in the armband. you won't be able to listen to music but that this the most affordable solution I have found so far.
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Kinda bummed about learning about the Polar Wearlink. I already have an FT4 but the wearlink chest strap that came with it isn't for the Nike+. Looks like I'll be getting the kit/watch/sensor thingy LOL
  • croutson
    croutson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike+ shoes and I love using them with my iPod. So, even if you get the watch that's compatible or the arm band, I think you'll be very pleased. Good luck!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    : the Nike+ polar band should work with your polar watch too (for the HRM stuff only I mean) it works with my old polar f11 at least

now if you have the new nano - you can buy a watch strap that it fits onto and have access to the nike + and polar (with correct nike+ chest strap) and your music all on your wrist

somedays I feel like we like in a sci-fi film or star trek or something :bigsmile:
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    don't be too bummed. it's no big deal and actually fairly inexpensive to add the HRM compared to other solutions available.. they are all quite costly and there are tons of incompatibilities... i have the POLAR FT7 which came with the Polar Weralink (coded). So I had to but the NIKE+ transmitter and strap too. Now both straps work with either system -- it is just the transmitter that clips on that is different... so you can use your NIKE+ transmitter specifically for running and the other transmitter for all your other activities and get more/longer use from them both...
    also the Polar Watch still works the same way it did so you can keep it on one wrist and the Sportband on the other to monitor different data without having to click around

Thanks everyone! Kinda bummed about learning about the Polar Wearlink. I already have an FT4 but the wearlink chest strap that came with it isn't for the Nike+. Looks like I'll be getting the kit/watch/sensor thingy LOL