10 Pounds or Less

Options
Hi, I am new to the site. I am looking to make a few friends that have around 10 pounds to lose; as I do. Thinking we could motivate each other to take those last 10 off. I feel like I am at a standstill. I can't possibly eat any less, and I have been exercising sometimes twice a day. I am about an inch away from fitting back in my old pants! Want to get this done!

Replies

• dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    You might not be eating enough. I took a metabolic test at the Y last week and found out that my body needs 1600 calories a day to function...I was only eating 1200 a day. I started eating more last week (and still exercising) and I lost 3 pounds last week!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    when you don't have much to lose <15-20 lbs, you should actually eat more than if you have more to lose. Try changing your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week and make sure to eat back your exercise calories. When you don't have much to lose you don't need a large caloric deficit. If your deficit is too large you risk burning muscle, instead of fat, to use as fuel. Also when you get to this point it is better to focus on BF% and how you look and feel vs a number on the scale.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Jamie,
    Do a quick search on the boards for "ten pounds" or "last ten pounds" to get ideas on how to retool your approach. More than likely you'll have to increase your calories and lower your weight loss goal to about half a pound per week. Also take a look at the "starvation mode" posts to get a better understanding of why you're hitting a wall. Cutting calories too low and pumping up the activity puts your body at risk for losing muscle (not fat) when your fat stores are so low. I was in the same boat until I looked at some of the research discussed here. Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have to post this again:

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.

I only had 10 pounds to lose (I lost 8 before switching my focus to strength/resistance training). Definitely choose .5 per week and eat back all calories you burned during exercise. If you do dip under 1200 don't do for more than a couple of days.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    You might not be eating enough. I took a metabolic test at the Y last week and found out that my body needs 1600 calories a day to function...I was only eating 1200 a day. I started eating more last week (and still exercising) and I lost 3 pounds last week!!!

Should I be eating more then too? My basic rate is 1600...I exercise and eat my calories back which puts me at 1400-1500 but I'm sooooo hungry at night :sad:
  • SmartestRat
    Options
    I'd like to squeak in- I have nine pounds to go! I've had really good success starting out by lowering carbs to <100 per day and upping my protein. My macros on MFP are 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. Also, are you taking measurements? If you're exercising, you might be starting to put on some muscle, which is denser than fat, so your weight might not change a lot in a given period of time.

Anyway, last-ten-pounds high five! We can do this!
  • tlnester
    tlnester Posts: 34
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I would like to lose 10-15 and it is a challenge. I will add you, I would love the extra motivation. I am eating roughly 1600 calories a day and working out (running) about 3.5 miles and doing strength training. 1200 is too low. I have found if I mix my calories up through the week(some days lower, some days higher) I will drop weight. Good luck!:)
  • SUZANNEGAY
    Options
    I find that I usually am on a seesaw - lose 2, gain 3, lose 1, gain 2, etc - very frustrating. Any helpful ideas? I haven't posted a weight loss amount for the above reason as this happens every week :grumble: . I'm looking for friends that are in the same situation as me-we can help each other succeed!
  • FitdivaG
    FitdivaG Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel exactly as you do and I have been trying the same thing! I attend a very high intense cardio bootcamp 6-7 days a week for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs each workout. I also go to another gym sometimes for my second workout which is cardio based as well or I do my spinbike or treadmill at home. I am eating all veggies with only meat once a week if that. But this last 10 is just stubborn!! I just discovered Oxygen mag and they really push the eating clean which has a book that focuses on loosing the last 10. Gonna grab that for some advice. A friend loaned me the Eat Clean recharged and it has a lot of good information but I need to focus on the last 10! :wink:
  • JenniferO1982
    JenniferO1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am also on my last ten pounds. Ugh! I have been at a standstill for weeks! I am almost wondering if it's my body's way of telling me that I don't need to lose the last ten? I am 5' 9" and weigh 140. My goal is 130, but I have literally been hovering between 138-140 since December. I have NOT been able to get below 137. I wonder if I am missing something, or if my body is telling me to stop. I would be okay at 140, but I have a bit of a pooch about the belly still, that I want GONE! I would love to join a last ten pounds club, as it's pretty obvious that I need advice:)

Jenn
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm almost there, had 14 to lose, lost 11 since Jan. Have been losing only 0.2lb per week for the last 3 weeks, then added couch to 5k and an extra zumba class this week and I'm down another 1.4lb. I'm netting 1200 - 1400 a day after eating my exercise cals.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I never been stalled with my weight, I dont focus on numbers, eat well wen u need too and tone where u need too...it will fall off, dont stress or that will make it harder
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm down to my last 8-10, too. Have been seeing a steady decrease the past 6 weeks, so I hope that keeps up! But I would love some friends for motivation on here! Send me a request!

I exercise pretty intensely 6 days a week, sometimes 2 times a day (I am training for a Tough Mudder April 9, a half marathon May 16, and a full marathon in the fall - either NYC or Philly). I've been trying to cycle my calories through the week, I find that it helps with hunger on days that I work out 3+ hours and keeping my body "guessing" on off or lower intensity days. By cycle I mean I try to average 1300-1600 for the week, but go over and under that daily. For example my net caloies would look like: M 1200, T 1600, W 1100, R 1500, etc. etc.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Really?! Man, people tell me I'm not eating enough, but it is SO hard to convince myself of that. I DID up my calories by 200 this week, so I will see how that goes. Maybe I can keep increasing little by little.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks Erik for the great advice! I hate the love handles I still see when I look in the mirror! Everyone tells me I need to eat more. I guess I just need to listen! :-)
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info.
  • lisanorth
    lisanorth Posts: 3
    Options
    To lady doing 1.5 hr bootcamp every day..Too much cardio..u r probably eatong into your muscle mass..
    Remember muscle mass jncreases metabolic rate..which
    Equals more kcal burned at rest.
    Switch up routine and add strength training 3x wk at
    high weight 8-12 reps for 45 -60 min..and vary cardio..high intensity
    interval training most effective..
    Try tabata intervals 3x week before strenght training sessions..
    Google for tabata protocol instructions.

Lisa N.
    (I am a Personal trainer)
  • lisanorth
    lisanorth Posts: 3
    Options
    I feel exactly as you do and I have been trying the same thing! I attend a very high intense cardio bootcamp 6-7 days a week for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs each workout. I also go to another gym sometimes for my second workout which is cardio based as well or I do my spinbike or treadmill at home. I am eating all veggies with only meat once a week if that. But this last 10 is just stubborn!! I just discovered Oxygen mag and they really push the eating clean which has a book that focuses on loosing the last 10. Gonna grab that for some advice. A friend loaned me the Eat Clean recharged and it has a lot of good information but I need to focus on the last 10! :wink:

See above comment.. Might help..and save u bit of time..