Getting married, who knew how much there was to eat before t

Options
I'm getting married in July and am desperately trying to lose 60lbs by then (41 to go!) but it seems everything related to getting married involves tempting food!

I've already had to do the cake tasting, one caterer tasting, champagne whenever we go visit someone we haven't seen since the engagement..... And I still have my bridal shower this weekend, another tasting at another caterer, the bachelorette party, the rehearsal dinner, then every time I go to shop for anything it becomes an outing and everyone wants to stop for lunch or dinner to make the day” special".

I love that everyone wants to celebrate my wedding and I really want to enjoy this time but if I indulge every time I'm never going to be happy with my weight at the wedding!

I'm trying to prioritize like saying ok for my bachelorette and shower I'll let myself relax about the food a bit but for the other things I'm going to still have to be very careful.
Any tips for this bride on how to avoid the temptation that seems to come along with the wedding preparations?

Replies

• mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think if your goal is to lose weight you just limit what you at eat these functions and choose healthy alternatives. Just because you're celebrating these things doesn't mean you need to eat outside of your eating plan. I was at a bridal shower this weekend and it was hard not to eat all the banquet type food everyone ate - I nibbled, filled up on veggies and chicken , had a tiny glass of wine and skipped dessert. Good Luck - you are doing so well!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. I am getting married April 30th. I started trying to lose weight last March. I did good. Then I had my sister's bridal shower and her wedding (July 2010). Then an engagement party by my fiance's parents. Then Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Bridal Shower, Super Bowl, Bachelorette party, tastings, dress fittings--which means my mom wants to go out to eat afterward--aaaahhhhhh. Needless to say, I gained back much of what I lost (not all, thank goodness) and I've been bouncing up and down 5 pounds for about a month. My dress fits, which is good, but I'd really like to lose a little before April 30.

All I can say is just say no. I didn't and I wish I could take it back.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options

All I can say is just say no. I didn't and I wish I could take it back.

Your right I just have to keep thinking that what I'm going to remember is how I looked in my wedding dress, not how great the food was at my shower!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I learned a great mindset last year from my WW leader - she said just because you're eating at a restaurant, the meal shouldn't be treated like a special occassion. This really spoke to me because this is how I tend to treat any meal that isn't cooked in my own kitchen at home - like it's some license to pig out and forget any healthy choices or normal portions. You just have to have a little talk with yourself and say "self, remember, you want to lose some pounds before the wedding, not gain - let's treat this meal like a meal, not a gorge-fest". I'm not saying it won't be tough, but it is doable.

Also, think about it this way - you've got the perfect opportunity to plan your days! If you know you've got a tasting tonight, eat a light breakfast and lunch and try to cram in a bit of exercise and it should pretty much even out.
  • michelle277
    Options
    I totally understand. I am getting married in 5 weeks, and when we were going the planning process, I felt like I was supposed to eat all the time. My advice, enjoy the moment and the experience, but just limit yourself. I would try the food at the tastings, etc., but just 1 or 2 bites maximum. I just tried to get some extra cardio in when I knew I probably needed it. I lost 30 pounds in the past 3 months and have had to have my wedding dress taken in (which is a great feeling)....so I know you can do it! :)