Lost weight, my goals changed, not for the better?

Options
When I started out a month ago, my goals were set at 1200 calories a day, with a weight loss projected of 1.2 pounds per week. I managed to beat that, and have lost 10 pounds. After recalculating my goals, it is now set at 1200 calories per day, with a weight loss of 1.1 pounds per week. I can forsee this just getting worse and worse. The more I lose, the less my projected loss will become, while staying at 1200 calories per day.

I'm not sure I understand, except that I know that the less you weigh, the harder it is to lose. But should my goals reflect these numbers? I have a little over 20 pounds to go.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It makes sense as the less you weigh the less calories you burn, as you are not lugging around all that extra weight, and it takes less calories to maintain the lighter weight.

MFP recommends a 1lb/week weight loss, the 2lbs is a maximum that it allows you to go to, and you are still above the 1lb recommendation.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Well done on what you have lost so far

Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The goal of 1200 calories a day is constant because it is the least amount of calories you can consume while staying healthy. Therefore, yes... as you lose the weight you will have a smaller and smaller projected weight loss and your calories will stay the same. I suggest going to the gym and not eating back your calories if you would like to lose weight quicker, but that may also be unhealthy, I'm not sure.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    personally I would aim for 0.5lb a week with only 20lbs to go. Yes it will take longer but it will be more sustainable. I have a suspicion that MFP doesn't work so well on its recommendations for those who have less to lose. 1lb a week is fine if you are fairly overweight, but it becomes an issue when you are closer to your goal.

I have about 20lbs to lose and try to eat just above my BMR. That should allow me to lose and still be healthy. For those with more to lose they can afford to eat below their BMR.

Slower is best. It's more likely to stay off then.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, the "smaller" you get, the fewer calories you need to maintain your weight. So, losing weight, then, becomes a bit more drawn out and takes a little longer. Such is life. I was saying something very similar to my sister (I, too, am getting down to where I have about 25 lbs left to go, and anticipate it coming off slower than my first 40+ lbs), and her response was "So what? Do you have a deadline? If you're changing the way you eat and exercising permanently, who cares how long it takes?" She's right. It'll come off, and in all honesty, the slower it comes off, the more likely it is to stay off. Relax, and use this time to establish permanent food and exercise habits that will allow you to stay healthy for the long term, and enjoy the ride!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post before me; slower is DEFINITELY better and long-lasting. If you don't have a sustainable eating plan, you don't have a plan. That's what happened to me the first time I lost weight. Now I'm eating in a way I can sustain for life. It's much better for your heart not to yo-yo, also. Good luck!:smile:
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

This was very helpful. From where I fit in, it explains my MFP goals. Yes, I'm drinnking water, eating back my exercise calories, etc. Just needed a little clarification on how the goals worked. I believe this explains it better than anything else. Thanks so much.
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    Losing weight is not the only thing that is our goal is. Eating healthier, getting set in the habit of exercise that will keep us fit, and knowing that this lifestyle change is permanent. I have been put on a 1500 a day calorie food change by my doctor. The only way I am supposed to up that is if I do some extremely harsh exercising. My recent attempts at hiking is one of the things I can lift the 'bar' a little. (Goes to 1700) then. He absolutely does not want me above 1700 calories. With a BMI of 30-- I am obese. I am not 'grossly' obese though. A little bit of my favorite foods now and then will not kill me and infact will make it easier for me to stay with this change.

I see the word obese on my three inch medical chart and know that that work and half of the reasons I have been seen are weight related. Smoking and asthma were another part of it. If you can quit smoking, to me, means you can quit being obese. That is my goal. I want that bmi that says I am healthy and the muscles to prove it. :)

I hope this helps
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    Yes, my BMI is 26.3. My goal is not only to lose weight but to get healthier, get fit, get toned. That goal started when I quit smoking, and will in fact be a life-long affair. I wasn't concerned about only getting 1.1 pounds per week, just wondering how the goals were figured. It was explained to my satisfaction.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I learned from all of you.