How to calculate calories from a marinade?

Options
I am marinating some meat for dinner tonight and I have no idea how to calculate the calories. I can add up all the calories and divide it by serving, but certainly we aren't having all those calories, as most of the marinade will go down the drain. How do you calculate marinade calories? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I calculate what the marinade has in it, and I add a tbsp or two to my meal, on top of the calories for the meat itself. I'm probably overestimating, but I'd rather be over than under...
  • ttaylortulsa
    ttaylortulsa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you're marinating, I would consider it a few tablespoons per serving. Chicken breasts, pork chops and similar size/weight meats probably only have about 2 tbsp of marinade after all is said and done. Although, you could get super OCD like I would by measuring out the marinade to be thrown away, subtract it from the total and go with the serving division from there...but that may be a little overboard :blushing:
  • NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive wandered the SAME thing...cause most of it is thrown away!
  • staceywoo
    staceywoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I usually count it all, I hadn't considered deducting any. I'd rather overestimate than under!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    You could enter the receipe in the database, then divide that by how many servings are in the receipe..... and then subtract what is left over after marinding...
  • btmixon
    btmixon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I usually count it all, I hadn't considered deducting any. I'd rather overestimate than under!

OMG this probably destroys you in the sodium column!!! You aren't eating it all, don't waste your calories!
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I measure out the marinade I put on meat before I cook it (2 tablespoons for a chicken breast or pork chop, 3-4 tablespoons for a tenderloin), and then just log the entire amount.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    , you could get super OCD like I would by measuring out the marinade to be thrown away, subtract it from the total and go with the serving division from there...but that may be a little overboard :blushing:

Haha, that's what I do...the best way to get an accurate amount =)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how to add the calories from stir frying vegetables in a couple tablespoons of oil since it cooks and I drain it. Does anyone know how to do this?