Cell Phones

Options
RoadDog
RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
I see so many people obsessed with their cell phones and texting. My daughters included. My wife, thankfully, rarely turns hers on unless she's out of the house and on her own. If Holland and I are with her, she doesn't even bring hers.

I'm so glad I'm married and not dating. If I were single and on a date and my date pulled her phone out and started texting, I would take her home. I can understand having your cell phone on if you have kids and/or you have something like an impending birth going on, but really, do we have to be available 24/7?

If I can't hold your attention for the duration of one date, we obviously haven't got enough in common so sustain a relationship anyway.

I know I am going to take a beating over this post, but, BIG WHOOP, I don't care. Text your best friend about what a jagoff I am.

Replies

• DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I have a $19 promo flip phone. It doesn't get internet access and I will not bring it out unless I'm at home. Plus, if the rare occassion occurs that I'm on a date with someone who isn't a complete tool...I want them to have my full attention :laugh:
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    I hear you....worst is those who go to the gym, get on a machine with the phone to their ear! No one is that important!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I could hand write and mail a letter quicker then I can text. :laugh:

Must be generational. :embarassed:
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I hear you....worst is those who go to the gym, get on a machine with the phone to their ear! No one is that important!

And then they complain about how they can't seem to lose weight. Try putting the danged phone down and BREAK A SWEAT!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have a phone ,I barely use it except for some of the apps.The only time I text is to text my husban when hes at work so I dont interupt his day.
    Im not sure why people are so dependant on their cell phones unless its for work.
    Thats just me im not much for talking on the phone and hate texting
    The silliest thing I ever saw was a 6 yr old with an iphone WTF!?
  • RoadDog
    Options
    I agree with you! I have a $19 promo flip phone. It doesn't get internet access and I will not bring it out unless I'm at home. Plus, if the rare occassion occurs that I'm on a date with someone who isn't a complete tool...I want them to have my full attention :laugh:

You wouldn't be able to text anyways, You'd need both hands to fight me off.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    ... do we have to be available 24/7?

If I can't hold your attention for the duration of one date, we obviously haven't got enough in common so sustain a relationship anyway...

I don't know, I think this is a pretty valid point. But I AM guilty of keeping my phone on the table when my girlfriends and I are out to dinner. But we ALL do it; which is odd, b/c when someone calls we don't answer it. But yet we feel the urge to have it on the table in the first place. I mean heaven forbid we weren't AWARE of the call immediately.

our generation is definately addicted. and i no longer know more than 5 phone numbers off the top of my head. I used to have a whole phone book in there when i was a kid!

but yes; back to what you were saying, on a date would just signify "i'm not interested enough to ignore this text"
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i text so much i don't know what a pen is anymore.. lol jk jk i am always on my phone though. TOOO BAD!!! :tongue:
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Mike, you have been posting some controversial topics lately!! First tanning, now this!! Love it! I only text because I have 3 kids who are 6 and under, so that makes talking on the phone virtually impossible. It's easy for me to text my husband and say, "would you mind bringing home a gallon of milk after work", or for him to send me one asking if I can run by the post office if I have time. I do find it pretty crazy that 12 year olds are walking around texting. Or even carrying cell phones for that matter.

There ya have it! My thoughts! ♥♥
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a phone ,I barely use it except for some of the apps.The only time I text is to text my husban when hes at work so I dont interupt his day.
    Im not sure why people are so dependant on their cell phones unless its for work.
    Thats just me im not much for talking on the phone and hate texting
    The silliest thing I ever saw was a 6 yr old with an iphone WTF!?

I agree I don't think any child needs a phone. Really if they need to call home or check in with their parents then use your freinds parents house phone. If the parent needs to get ahold of the child then call the house at which they are supposed to be at. If they are not there then they are in trouble. That simple. We give children way too much freedom and that is why they are in trouble all the time. My son will not get a cell until he can pay for one himself.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use my cell since we dont have a house phone, I do text alot and facebook alot but i make sure to put it away while im doing excersise.. if im on a date its in my purse on silent..
  • peimomof2
    peimomof2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Same here. No good at it, never was, never will!! :)
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Mike, you have been posting some controversial topics lately!! First tanning, now this!! Love it! I only text because I have 3 kids who are 6 and under, so that makes talking on the phone virtually impossible. It's easy for me to text my husband and say, "would you mind bringing home a gallon of milk after work", or for him to send me one asking if I can run by the post office if I have time. I do find it pretty crazy that 12 year olds are walking around texting. Or even carrying cell phones for that matter.

There ya have it! My thoughts! ♥♥

I'm a rebel. Seriously, I think so many people are missing out on the moment, because they are tethered to their cell phone.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i confess to be being glued to my phone i use it mainly to text and for facebook when i'm at work, i feel lost without it, but i do feel that there is a time and a place for everything and i wouldn't use it at the gym or on a date thats just plain rude!
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

You wouldn't be able to text anyways, You'd need both hands to fight me off.

Grrrrrr....I like 'em fiesty :devil:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

What is this "letter" you speak of?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

What is this "letter" you speak of?

:grumble: Dern whippersnappers. :grumble:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I hate it when someone is in the stall next to me in the bathroom at work or another public restroom, chatting away between dribbles, plops, and swooshes. I think it's disgusting. I can only imagine what the person on the other end is thinking.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I can see the text if you just need to have someone pick up something, or that you are going somewhere & will be late, what have you. But the constant texting conversations just irk me to no end! :grumble: I have a few friends that ONLY text. Apparently I'm not important enough to be speaking live with them! It is SO annoying to just keep texting! So when I pick up the phone & CALL them back - guess what? I get voice mail! REALLY? :angry:

CJ only texts me when I'm at work & wants to make sure I call him the second I'm off work for something (since he knows there is only a 15 min window between work & the gym for me) and since he is a cop sometimes he loses track of the time. Plus I text him while I'm at work to see if he wants anything particular for dinner - however it is VERY rare that either one of us texts each other!

The most texting I do is sending picture texts to my parents since they are in Texas & I'm in Illinois. My mom has finally figured out how to do that, so its nice when she finds a purse or something she thinks I may want...she takes the pic & sends it to me! :bigsmile:
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    People tend to be mindless, and politeness is seen as a relic of yesteryear. I'm with you.