Not feeling it today? :( Whats the problem? Help!

Options
Not feeling it today, got up, felt sluggish, tried cardio X - yoga kicked my tail. Tried Ab ripper X, just no motivation today. Whats the problem? This is day 5 of my new, cleaner eating. I feel really exhausted, under fed, tired, and just plain sleepy. I haven't had caffeine in 6 days, and I feel miserable.

What should I do to get out of this slump and not result back to the caffeine addiction?

Replies

• saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it. You are at the beginning of detox, even 6 days in.
    Takes a good week or two.

That said, unless you used to mainline coffee and caffeinated pop or have severe heart issues, is there a reason why you want to cut caffeine totally?
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    I am sure you will be able to push threw it ... the same thing happened to me and I ended up being to the front end of a bad cold ... just stay focused and you can make it!
  • missclaridge
    missclaridge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. I added an extra 100 calories to my day and it helped give me the extra energy to keep going. Besides that, just make your self do the workout even if it is only a half-hearted attempt. Eventually you will get back in the groove. Good luck.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Try eating a small apple. The natural sugars in the apple should give you a boost, and it's high in fiber and vitamins.
  • crebbe
    crebbe Posts: 18
    Options
    Caffeine Detox is SO HARD! Good luck.

Without caffeine I try anything. Seems crazy but a shot of hot sauce or spicy peppers work.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    are you following the P90x nutrition as well? could be you need a little extra carbs - I know the diet in phase 1 is very strict on carbs. maybe try adding a healthy portion and see if helps.

also - how's your water in take?

how about reducing coffee and not eliminating it?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    That said, unless you used to mainline coffee and caffeinated pop or have severe heart issues, is there a reason why you want to cut caffeine totally?
    [/quote]

I was wondering the same thing--a lot of caffeine laden drinks are fat burners--coffee, green tea, etc. Is there some reason you are cutting the caffeine. I know I stopped drinking diet coke a few years ago b/c I was an addict, but I still drink green tea everyday.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you eating well enough? Are you getting enough carbs in? If you rely too heavily on protein (which takes over 4 times as long for your body to metabolize into an usable energy source) you WILL feel sluggish and tired.

Let's discuss your diet; I bet that will fix the problem.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've done the caffeine thing and it's rough! I'm down to one Diet Coke a day after years of at least a six pack a day. Just like most smokers can't quit cold turkey, caffeine "addicts" usually need to slowly wean themselves off from soda and coffee. I'd suggest having just one today and see if that makes you feel better. If it does, then you know that's what the problem is. Unless you have a reason to cut it out entirely, I'd suggest still having one or so a day until (and if) you're ready to cut it out completely.

Everything should be done in moderation, including a new lifestyle. If you try to do everything at once, you're probably just going to overwhelm yourself.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I did take a look at your food journal and noticed that some days you don't have a breakfast or lunch inputed. Did you actually skip those meals or just didn't enter them? I also noticed you go over a lot on your sugars, that could make you feel sluggish, especially with your body trying to get used to a new diet.

If you did eat all your meals, it is probably the swicth in eating habits. I felt tired my first week or so of doing this but now I have more energy than I ever have before. Even when I'm tired and could go to sleep, my body is a little hyper. Make sure you drink 8 cups of water a day. I drink 2 cups on my way to work and if I don't do this, I am more sluggish throughout the day. You could try water right away in the morning and see how that works.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    anything going on emotionally for you lately? Partner issues, parent issues, kid issues, job issues, money, etc. Sometimes you tell yourself you can handle things but your body just says "no." Example: I graduate soon and despite telling myself that everything will be all right, that I'll find a job, that I can handle this - I've been miserable lately. My diet and exercise is about the only thing I feel I have control of at this point so I'm hanging on to that.

Hang in there, dude. Good luck.
  • QuikImpulse
    Options
    I quit caffeine a few months ago. I quit because it was to the point where I needed it to feel normal. I'd get up in the morning and wouldn't feel good until my cup of coffee. Additionally, I didn't just drink my coffee black, and all the extra sugar that coffee and soda contain was much worse for my diet than any positive effect caffeine could possibly have on my metabolism. Additionally, I think I remember reading that once your body grows accustomed to the caffeine, the metabolic boots ceases.

That said, the first few weeks off caffeine really sucked. I was sluggish and plagued by headaches. It passed. Now, I drink a lot more water and save money and calories by not buying soda or coffee. And, if I do have a really long night and were to be in a desperate need for a pick-me-up, one cup of strong coffee gets me lit.
  • Insomniak2
    Options
    Everyone thanks for the support.

For the caffeine issue: I don't drink coffee, never have, can't stand the taste or the smell. Same goes for tea. In fact, I have never had a drink of coffee in all of my 29 years. Tea is just hard to stomach for me - I have tried green tea, it just seems like the sugar is too high. I am trying to quit drinking soda, because if it was up to me I would drink anywhere from 6-8 cans a day. That is A LOT of sugar, and A LOT of empty calories, I am not trying to X the caffeine per say, just trying to get rid of all the sugar and calories... I don't like the taste of diet, and I have always heard that diet is just as bad for you as regular. So I have been drinking Diet Lemonade, and water... with Low cal G2 Gatorade.

As far as my Diary goes, I only started tracking my diary heavily the last 4 days or so, so if there are missing inputs, its because I ate, but didn't really put them in the diary. I have gotten addicted to the entries now. I don't miss anything.

As far as water goes, I feel like I get enough, but maybe not - with the supplements and so on - I should probably be drinking more, but I have gotten at least 8 cups a day for the last 5 days in a row, even if I forgot to put them in. I would like to get up to a gallon a day - its a work in progress.

Nothing emotionally is going on in my life - everything besides this is perfect, I am engaged with a baby on the way so I couldn't be happier.

For the last 5 days MFP had set my calorie intake to 1900 which I thought was low for a 5'7 185 lb male who wanted to maintain his weight but tone up, and I felt like it started to show, cause I was starving the last 3 nights in a row - and yesterday I didn't have the energy to workout - so I came home adjusted my Carb-Protein-Fat ratio to 50-30-20 and 2400 calories. Which I think is more realistic for me. I am a Police Detective, so some days I am more active then others, it just depends... but I have gotten really sluggish in the last 48 hours.

I pushed as hard as I could today, and got through about 20 minutes and felt light headed, not to mention my calves feel like they may explode from running in my 5 fingers earlier in the week longer then I should have, so they are still repairing. My Entire body feels beaten - I think I worked out hard then I should of when I started this week, since I was out of shape and my body is just beaten up right now.

For example I feel like I am out of shape, but I can still do 8-10 overhand pullups, 40+ pushups 60+ situps and run a 2-mile in under 14:00 if I had to take a fitness test, but I pushed myself really hard earlier in the week, and I think it is coming back to bite me. You can check my excercise log and tell me what you think, its open to public.

So far thanks for the input, I am really trying to see what the issue is.
    Thanks.
    Daniel
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but will offer some input. It sounds like you are in pretty good shape already - according to your stats you listed.

I think you really need to ramp up the H20. If you are doing the P90x stuff - I know how much one can sweat and shred calories, so you are going to need to get the water up asap. guzzle the stuff....I know it can be probably hard as a detective and driving - but even getting some in first thing in the morning as you wake up and your body is dehydrated.

DEFINITELY put down the soda! ha....which I'm sure you know. There are lots of herbal and caffeinated tea's availabe, maybe try a few and see what you like/don't like.

Agave Syrup is a good and natural source as a sweetner - maybe check that out.

I would also look at buying some Steel Cut Oatmeal. This stuff is awesome - healthy carb and protein. It will keep you full for awhile. It takes awhile to cook - but you can cook up a bunch on weekend have it in fridge and nuke it in the morning. Toss some cinnamon on, and betting you will be full until lunch.

EAS makes pretty good stuff - but I find that real food will keep you much more full for longer. Those Ready to Drinks and protein shakes are great in a pinch, but I'd go for as much real food as you can. Fast food and restaurant meals - cals can add up real quickly.

Also, try packing your lunch as much as possible - maybe a little cooler you can keep in the car with snacks, water and food.

Try to find foods that are filling and lean/healthy. Lots of veggies, as well - fiber will fill you up. Green Leafy ones as much as possible.

How much sleep are you getting? this can contribute as well.

you body could also be adjusting to the new routine and diet etc, which might take awhile.

I'm sure people with much more knowledge will respond as well - but wanted to offer my 2 cents.

Good luck!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would also look at buying some Steel Cut Oatmeal. This stuff is awesome - healthy carb and protein. It will keep you full for awhile. It takes awhile to cook - but you can cook up a bunch on weekend have it in fridge and nuke it in the morning. Toss some cinnamon on, and betting you will be full until lunch.

Steel cut oatmeal is awesome! It's a little different texture and taste (at least to me) compared to instant, but I like it so much better. I make mine while I am getting ready in the morning and it is ready before I am done so it has time to cool off a little bit. I love mine with a tbsp of brown sugar, 4 tsp granola, and about 2 tsp cinnamon. Yummy :smile: