Zumba

Options
I do Zumba a few times a week and have been using dance when I log the exercise. Does anyone know what the appropriate thing would be to calculate zumba calories burned?
Thanks1

Replies

• skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's way more than dance...I looked it up. For a 150 lb person it about 550 cals for a 1 hour class. It depends on how hard you're workin' it though!
  • mothercdaniels
    Options
    I could not find Zumba either - I log my 42 minutes of Zumba under aerobics-general
  • Nyirishlass
    Options
    I do Zumba and I put it under Aerobics, high impact : )
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Google it, it says between 500-800! Then you can just change the calories burned slot when you enter it as dance.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    bump. I''m trying this out tomorrow hopefully.
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i also do Zumba!! & i also just tag it under "aerobics, high impact" it seems to work out okay. i've looked it up & you burn about the same calories...
  • gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I put it under aerobic too then once I get a HRM I can put my own exercise in with the right amount burned!! Got to love the Zumba:love:
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also do Zumba, 4 times a week for an hour each. I entered it as my own exercise and I have a calorie counting watch that allows me to enter the actual amount of calories burned. Putting at least 600 is a safe bet to begin with.

Good luck!
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba myself and also haven't been able to find an accurate calorie burn count, I've seen anywhere from 400 to 800. I think it depends on your size and your exertion level. I have a HRM and always forget to wear it, I'm going to next time! I think it gives a pretty accurate calorie burn since I had to input my age and weight. It's all about perceived exertion, right? Also, which Zumba workout are you doing?
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I love Zumba! I do the DVD video and log it as low impact aerobics, but maybe I should change that to high impact.
  • nomayyy
    nomayyy Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm interested in zumba!

Do you guys who do zumba go to zumba classes? Or use dvds?
    Which zumba dvds would you recommend?
  • rgustin
    rgustin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually burn around 630 for an hour of Zumba, I am 5'7 and weigh 215. I always wear my HRM to class. Not all classes will have me burning the same amount. I didn't go to my usual class on Saturday and only burned 530.
  • maryritt529
    Options
    I usually burn around 630 for an hour of Zumba, I am 5'7 and weigh 215. I always wear my HRM to class. Not all classes will have me burning the same amount. I didn't go to my usual class on Saturday and only burned 530.

Thanks ...How does that HRM work? What kind do you use and is it pretty accurate??
  • maryritt529
    Options
    Thank for all the input guys!!
  • maryritt529
    Options

Thanks ...How does that HRM work? What kind do you use and is it pretty accurate??

PS: I go to 2 different classes also...you can tell the difference. I really get a great workout with one and a so/so workout with the other. I may have to purchase an HRM!
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    I do Zumba classes and always wear my HRM. I usually burn between 550-650 for an hours class. Depends on how hard you work and what routines she doesn on the day, as some are harder than others!!
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options

HRM is a heart rate monitor, and the ones that have a chest strap are the most accurate. You enter in your sex/height/weight and then it tells you how many calroeis you have burnt using that info and your heart rate. They are the most accurate way of telling how many calories you burn. I have the Polat FT7

:)

Lisa
  • maryritt529
    Options
    Thanks Lisa!
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I've tried the kind that goes on your wrist and the chest strap version. I recommend the chest strap for two reasons, one it is definitely more accurate, and two, it gives you a continuous reading, whereas the wrist reader you have to press a button or a sensor for it to read your pulse. I have a Polar as well though not sure which model. I definitely also recommend cleaning the chest monitor after every workout. Your sweat will build up on it and affect your readings. I usually wash the entire thing with hand soap. I actually don't wear the watch monitor, I took the straps off and just attached it to my elliptical so I can always see it. I love always being able to know what my heart rate is. I haven't worn my HRM while doing Zumba, I'm going to have to!
  • kumanisean
    kumanisean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got to zumba classes for a hour. My heart rate monitors shows that i burn 808 calories a session.
    I'm thinking about purchasing the dvds.