What saith the fitness Gods?

Options
Is it possible to drink too much water during the day?

Replies

• RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started trying to drink "more" water. I didn't drink it at all. Then started to try to drink the 6 to 8 glasses a day to start, and it made me sick. As in nauseated and lethargic. I think if you start out slowly and just drink maybe 2-4 per day and add a 1/2 cup everyday after, your system might not be so shocked. I am now up to 6 and 7 sometimes just 5 comfortably. Just my thoughts on it.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    OH... And I am no fitness God....LOL
  • Rhiani
    Rhiani Posts: 9
    Options
    Yes it is, it is called water intoxication or water poisoning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not a fitness God... lol... but I've done a lot of reading about this topic. Is it POSSIBLE? Yes. Is it likely? No. Just don't do anything stupid like trying to chug gallons of water for a radio show contest or anything like that, and you'll be fine. The human body is capable of processing large amounts of water every day, assuming organs are properly functioning. Spread your water out over the whole day and drink away!

The only caveat to that is that IF you are engaging in extended high-effort workouts, like marathon running, that type of activity slows your body's ability to process water, so it's important to not drink too much (which will dilute your sodium content to dangerous levels) or to make sure you're drinking fluids that contain electrolytes to keep things in balance. Most people don't have to worry about this though.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    I remember when I first started trying to drink "more" water. I didn't drink it at all. Then started to try to drink the 6 to 8 glasses a day to start, and it made me sick. As in nauseated and lethargic. I think if you start out slowly and just drink maybe 2-4 per day and add a 1/2 cup everyday after, your system might not be so shocked. I am now up to 6 and 7 sometimes just 5 comfortably. Just my thoughts on it.

I actually love water and it is all I drink. I was just wondering if perhaps too much of a good thing isn't a good thing....thanks for sharing!
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "when someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'YES'!" Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

I drink anywhere from 4 to 6 liters of water a day, so I would imagine that while possible, it is most likely not probable.
  • VTCooie
    VTCooie Posts: 1
    Options
    Common sense says just keep yourself hydrated to the point of having to relieve yourself three times during the day, i.e., while you're awake (the nocturnal routines don't count in this scenario).

I handle this by drinking a big glassful upon arising, which is a good head start. Then a bottleful during aerobic workouts, cup of tea mid-evening; and smaller glasses a few times in between - as an occasion for calming, and at meals.

Way too much of a good thing, including water (!), can kill you.

If you find what works for you and make it a habit, you're all set.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water, and water intaoxication is possible, but that is an extreme thing. I drink several liters a day, and the worse thing that happens to me is I pee a lot! a comedian Louis Black does a really funny skit about people drinking too much water, but unless you are drinking gallons, and it is uncontrollable, no you are not drinking too much water. And I am not a god - just a goddess!