saving extra cals

Options
Hi all
I'm one week into this so still learning along the way,i had a bad day sat where i had couple glasses of wine and nice three course meal for my husbands birthday,but failed to count anything that day but all through the week i have been doing 45 mins brisk walking and not using all the cals up each day.
Will the cals ive saved help me not to put too much back on or should you treat each day as a new one?

Replies

• bethanymelton
    bethanymelton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the answer to this one! :-)
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm one week into this so still learning along the way,i had a bad day sat where i had couple glasses of wine and nice three course meal for my husbands birthday,but failed to count anything that day but all through the week i have been doing 45 mins brisk walking and not using all the cals up each day.
    Will the cals ive saved help me not to put too much back on or should you treat each day as a new one?

You should treat each day as a new one.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It's calories in/calories out over the long haul. I treat each day as a new opportunity to kick *kitten*. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. That said, everybody's different. But I do really think that this isn't a self-imposed regime of self-denial, I want this to be a lifestyle, not a daily grind.

:smile:
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I count each day as new but in knowing that it takes 3500 calories to gain or a deficit to lose a lbs it is truly the net but one day of going over will not hurt you overall
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    each day is a new start
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I go by the week. Some days are over, some are under. As long as at the end of the week my average for the week is where it needs to be I'm good.
  • 5grn9
    5grn9 Posts: 36
    Options
    From my readings here on MFP it seems some people "cycle" their calories, so they will eat more calories one day and less another. It also seems that some people will save their extra work out calories for another day where they may not work out. It's kind of like weight watchers, you get so many "extra points" every week along with your "extra work out calories" and you can save them for a day where you know you will need them, so if you ask me I think it would be fine to do that- as long as you do it w/in a 7 day window.
  • ashey1
    ashey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    wipe sat out and start again :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Agree with another post. People have had great success by calorie cycling. I wouldn't expect to hit the same number every day anyway. It's not actually 'saving' calories for the weekend or anything like that. But when you creating a daily deficiency to lose a pound per week I don't see any harm in a 250 calorie deficit one day and a 750 deficit another day (as opposed to a 500 calorie deficit on both days). As long as you aren't going too low for too long (or too high!) you should be okay.
  • pinksneakers
    pinksneakers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the correct answer on this one myself... My own eating habits are this: (and have been for a long, long time, I might add)...I almost always have lots of calories left over on weekdays, and then I am over on calories on the weekends. My weight stays the same, and I am not trying to lose any weight, either.
  • spazzashazza
    spazzashazza Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
    as my old school reports used to say "must try harder" ha ha
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I go by the week. Some days are over, some are under. As long as at the end of the week my average for the week is where it needs to be I'm good.

Yep this is what I've done and lost have 80 lbs to date. It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out at the end of the week!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    To justsayit:

WOW! Maybe I'm slow, but what you said resonated with Me...maybe I'm just now ready to "HEAR" what you wrote. I like that saying..."Treat Each Day As New," or what I interpret is Treat Each Day As the FIRST DAY of your Eating Plan/Diet/Wellness Plan/New Lifestyle...WOW! If I DO that and have that Perspective I can Live Well, No One messes up on The FIRST DAY because we prepare so well and are totally committed. That Concept can really focus Me. Thanks, this is why I read the Boards, I learn something very often.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    The goal is not to come down on yourself if you mess up, its to make the small changes over time that get you to where you need to be. Its not how often you fail its how often you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on moving along towards the goal. I liken it to driving in the night, you know your destination and are not sure how to get there so you look for the road signs that lead the way and you can only see so far ahead of you, never losing sight of the goal. You do not need to be a perfect angel with the diet, what you do need to do is make the changes to get you healthy.