To run or to invest in a dvd program.......

Options
I want to start some sort of exercise at home that can burn close to or equal to what I can burn in the gym.. in a similar time. I do not have room for an elliptical which is my usual high calorie burn machine.

I've been looking at the turbofire... and even the zumba sets for the home.... but one of my long term goals in general is to run. I've done it in the past in short amounts... never have made it to even a full consistent half mile... let alone anything else. Plus I seem to hurt my ankles each time I've tried. However what little i have managed to do I loved. I feel so free when I run. Then again its not a bad idea to have something in the house for bad weather days.. or days when hubby is grumpy with me going to the gym.

My biggest mental block with it has been that I would have to run outdoors (again - no room for a treadmill in my home).. and I figure that no one wants to see an out of shape 41 yr old mom running.

Of course the other side of the coin is really.... who cares. If they don't know me why am I bothered by this?

I am worried about hurting myself.. although when I take my son to the park and run around playing "you can't catch me" lol. i'm fine. he loves to run.. I often joke about hooking a treadmill up to a generator and not having to pay for electricity anymore, lol. I have an appointment with the personal trainer on Thursday and I do plan on asking him as well.

I know I'm leaning more towards running... just not sure how consistent I'd be given the insecurities I'd have to get over.... which is why I'm wondering about a dvd program as well.

Replies

• WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You can go to Target or Amazon and start with Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred for all of eight bucks. And you can run for free...and you are right...who cares what you look like running! I don't pay for a gym nor do I have any equipment in my house except a yoga mat and 5 lb weights! I run almost everyday and trust me I am no skinny minny!
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    You should look up the couch to 5K program on the web. It is a great work out and you can do it anywhere. I love zumba but dont have the set for home yet but I heard it was really really good.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I say do both...why not!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I was a 46 year old out of shape mom. I'm now a 48 year old fit distance runner.

Don't worry about what other people think.

Also, if you do decide to run, go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. That might help your ankle problems.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I run at home (i do have a treadmill though) and i do kettlebell workout dvds and jillian michaels dvds. i like doing both!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I vote for running. It's free and can be done anytime and anywhere with a little planning. I've even taken to running when it's raining!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I feel like with a dvd I can get the burn more effectively than running, but then again I've always been a terrible runner.
  • momofcole
    momofcole Posts: 18
    Options
    Get out there and run! Believe me, NO ONE seeing you will think "look at that chunky lady running"... they will think "You go girl!" and maybe you will inspire them!
    Look into a Couch to 5K plan to get you started. It will get you going and give you little goals- you don't have to go out and run a mile (or even half) the first time out! It gets you alternating running and walking. I did this 3 years ago and I've never gone back! I was out there with my stop watch huffing and puffing along at first!
    But when I can't get outside or to a gym I do 30 day shred or various other DVDs. There are a ton On Demand on cable.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am doing the ON DEMAND videos and youtube videos right now just to lose weight and get stronger but once I'm at a comfortable weight I plan on starting the couch to 5k program b/c I want to be a runner, I've never ran in my life and I've always wanted to.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You should look up the couch to 5K program on the web. It is a great work out and you can do it anywhere.

I'll 2nd this one. For motivation, check out http://www.runningintoshape.com
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I had the same insecurities when I first started running. I don't know why, but I thought people would judge me because I was just learning how to run. I started with Couch to 5K. A 9 week program that gradually increases the amount of time you run vs. walking. I would go at 5am.. when there was rarely any cars or people around. That way I gained confidence in my running.

After awhile, you don't really give a hoot who is around or anything. You just get in your running zone and it's the best feeling ever!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Get out there and run! Believe me, NO ONE seeing you will think "look at that chunky lady running"... they will think "You go girl!" and maybe you will inspire them!

This is true! When I was training for my last half marathon, i trained around the same time as a local club and there was one lady training who had to use a cane. All I could think was that she was pretty #$*% awesome!
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    oops.. left out that the times I've tried before have been C25K...and will be the same this time. Even found an android app for my phone already, lol.

I thnk I'll probably just start ignoring the inner voice of insecurity and just get out there and do what makes me happy.

I'd forgotten the ondemand and even netflix exercise videos... will give them a try as well.

my husband just found out the cardio rehab he needs to start with is $65 a month.. so trying to keep the fitness budget happy this month for a change, lol.. which is why the big internal debate with the dvd programs.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Having a DVD program is great to have for those times when the weather is bad. As for the running hang-ups... do what feels good for you and screw what anyone thinks! I would start of with a good powerwalk though. I can get some of the same feelings with a good hustling walk. Push yourself (and maybe a stroller). My average pace walking is 13:30-14:00/ miles. Yesterday I burned 800+ calories on a 6 mile walk. After you get a good base with your walking you can add in some short bursts of running. Before you know it you'll be training for a half marathon :)
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Honestly I am ashamed of how I look so I have DVD's of all kinds of different routines/programs and I also stream workouts from my Netflix. I also have a space saver elliptical. I have so many different choices that so far I have not gotten bored. I think that's the key...whatever works for you that you will enjoy! Good luck! :happy:
  • adcoffman
    adcoffman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to find what you have fun with! I personally get incredibly bored with running and I live where the weather changes enough that I could never run during the winter!! I have tons of fun with Turbo Kick at the gym and I have one DVD of Turbo Kick that I do at home. I am definitely going to invest in Turbo Fire!! If you think that running is fun and can keep your attention I say go for it!!! Also there are some alternative DVD's you can buy at Target/Walmart/ or anywhere! :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Running is hard on the joints but then again so is Turbo Fire so…… depends on where you are from and the weather then.

If you invest, check out ebay and Craig's List first. I bought my Turbo Fire for $50 new/sealed through a classified ad then re-sold it on ebay for $122 and just kept a copy for myself. I was so excited I successfully sold a second for $120 on ebay so I had to buy another through the classifieds.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like that you're going to talk to your personal trainer about it. Maybe he/she can give you tips on form.
    Invest in some GOOD running shoes. And by that I mean, go to a really good shoe store (or runner specific store), have someone talk to you about your activites, make sure the shoe fits just right, and if it doesn't, get a guarrantee that you can bring it back and try something else. It's going to cost, but it'll be totally worth it in the end.
    And don't give another thought to people watching you run down the street. Most guys love watching chicks run so I bet most of them are drooling over you anyway. :)
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    My biggest mental block with it has been that I would have to run outdoors (again - no room for a treadmill in my home).. and I figure that no one wants to see an out of shape 41 yr old mom running.

Of course the other side of the coin is really.... who cares. If they don't know me why am I bothered by this?

You should do what you're comfortable with, but honestly don't let being worried about what you look like stop you from running!
    I pretend I'm invisible and it works pretty well! :laugh: