Opinions please?

Options
I have only been back on here for a week and half now. I have done my exercise goals and have been either on or under my calorie goal every day.

This weekend i am not going to be close to home....I am staying away for the night, but it is two long days out, i need help as to what can i do exercise wise on those days? I know being away and with where im going, i want to be careful of what i do eat and drink, but i don't want to be completely obsessed with it, as this weekend is only a once a year opportunity and i want to enjoy it.

Can anyone please give me advice? I cant keep under my calorie goal without exercise! =(

Replies

• MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Bring as many healthy snacks as possible with you. Pack a cooler if need be, have things on hand! Know where you will be eating and look up the place before hand and chose your meals.
    The sacrifice is so worth the reward!
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are going, but maybe go shopping if even just to look. Do jumping jacks or pushups while watching tv. Or dance while showering and getting ready. Standing pushups against the wall in the shower.......
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Try doing some body weight exercises (pushups, squats, lunges, etc) or take a walk while you're gone, make the best food choices you can - and ENJOY it. The whole point of this (MFP, "dieting", exercising) is to get healthy - not to feel stressed about every calorie or having a good time on a weekend away.

Indulge a bit. One or two days is NOT what will define your lifestyle. It is the pattern over weeks and months and YEARS that will determine your success and allowing for enjoyment of time off on a vacation or with friends/family is part of LIFE.

As in my tagline - you don't have to be a saint! :flowerforyou:

Edit: When you get back, just get back on track and do a bit of extra work if you feel like you were way over. But DON'T stress over it.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Thanks, i shall remember that and see what i can get snack wise.

I'm going with two other people, so planning food to a certain degree isnt helpful and most of the day we wont be in a quiet enviroment - as we are going to watch some sports games. So it's mainly a sit in chair n watch kinda thing. Thinking about it, in between games i can walk around the arena maybe?

Would extra exercise on the day before make any difference? =/
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i shall remember that and see what i can get snack wise.

I'm going with two other people, so planning food to a certain degree isnt helpful and most of the day we wont be in a quiet enviroment - as we are going to watch some sports games. So it's mainly a sit in chair n watch kinda thing. Thinking about it, in between games i can walk around the arena maybe?

Would extra exercise on the day before make any difference? =/

Yes and no. We can't really "bank" calories or save them up ahead of time. Your body doesn't work on a weekly schedule - it expends calories or takes them in "in the moment". That said, it does tend to average out over time, so a day under here or a day over there will, to some extent, cancel eachother out in the long term.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Make the best choices of what food is available, watch your portions, pack some healthier snacks, drink water instead of soda or beer. Walking around between games is a great idea to get in some exercise. Maintaining your food and exercise plan in new situations is good practice for the rest of your life. Enjoy your time away.
  • Hype
    Options
    Thank you,

You've all given me something to think about :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. If you don't let go every-once-in-a-while, and enjoy special occasions, it will be harder to stick with it in the long run. It'll be harder to come back after falling off the wagon. Enjoy yourself, then get back to it when you get home.
  • Hype
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. If you don't let go every-once-in-a-while, and enjoy special occasions, it will be harder to stick with it in the long run. It'll be harder to come back after falling off the wagon. Enjoy yourself, then get back to it when you get home.

I know - this is me coming back after falling off :(

Mind you that was partially due to an injury also haha