Scale-olics anonymous

Options
I wanted to start a thread for people who were addicted to getting on the scale like I am. My name is Leela and I'm a scale-olic. I step on the scale every morning for validation. If I had a bad weekend, I need the scale to tell me. If I had a good week, I need the scale to tell me. When it tells me I'm doing bad, I step it up a notch. When it tells me I'm doing a good job, I start to slack.

I know longer want the scale to have that type of power over me. There are times that I will get on the scale at night, trying to predict what it may say in the morning. I really don't want to be as obsessed with it anymore. I want to weigh once, maybe twice a week. In one week, I know I get on the scale atleast 10 times.

So I wanted to form a small group of people who understand exactly where I'm coming from. Then I was thinking that instead of stepping on the scale, I can come on here and write a few sentences about how I didn't get on the scale, what I decided to do to distract me from getting on the scale and how it made me feel not giving in to stepping on it.

I would love the same type of regular feedback from people like me. Also, I would love feedback from recovering scale-olics who were able to beat this addiction. How did you do it?

What do you think? Are you up for the challenge?

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of that as well. I will join the thread!
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    LOL I love this and this is SOOOOO me... if by chance I dont agree with what it says sometimes I will scoot it a few inches and face it the other way and climb back on!!! I have vowed not to get back on my scale until Thursday (which is my weigh day) and I plan on sticking to it!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I threw my scales (I had 2 because one may be lying to me) out into a snow storm 2 weeks ago. Now I have no choice but to weigh at the gym and guess what? I keep forgetting so I haven't weighed myself in over a week!
  • Raebug123
    Raebug123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm totally an addict!!! I was just think the same thoughts about my scale at home so this is perfect. What's sad is I weigh in every two weeks but I'm on the scale at least once and sometimes twice a day. I know that I know if I follow my plan on here I should drop weight but then I see my scale and I swear it talks to me LOL. It says are you SURE you followed your plan, are you sure you logged EVERYTHING, what if your wrong and you're gaining weight without knowing. Oh its horrible!!! So I give in and step up and then........nothing the scale says what it should and I'm right on track, but oh the power it has!!!
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    bump.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    I wish I could do this! Good luck to you all. I tried this a couple of weeks ago and when I got back onto the scale I'd gained 300g. Not a lot, but it was enough to send me into a meltdown (as you can probably see if you look through my diary) that I haven't been able to get out of yet. Maybe I'll join you when I'm in a better frame of mind :)
  • p222
    p222 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm SUCH a scaleaholic too. I weigh myself every morning at the same time in the same outfit. It's ridiculous how much power I let it have over me, if I think I did well and I gained a pound it actually upsets me. I need to try to weigh less, but when I'm focusing so much energy on fitness and health, it's hard for me not to weigh. advice?
  • TATennis
    TATennis Posts: 49
    Options
    Okay! I'll admit Im a scaleaholic too :blushing:
    BUT Only in the mornings (every morning, LOL) because I know once I drink or stick food in my mouth the scale will go up. So I NEVER EVER go on after I eat or drink anything. But Yes!!! I have to admit :bigsmile: Every morning I go on stark naked and get off and have to get right back on it to make sure.
    If I don't get on the scale every day, I'm concerned a pound or two will sneak in, So I think I'm staying in check :happy:
    It scares me to wait one week, because I can easily gain a pound a day :laugh: and then thats 5 pounds up ( YIKES)
    I feel like I'm also breaking the scale by going on it every day , What to do? I haven't a clue!!!
    LOL, I also threw my scales out before. But since starting this journey, I've had to hang on. Oh I forgot and when I didn't like what the scale read I had to go out and buy a new one. But It really was stuck, I knew I was losing weight, I felt it! but the darn scale wouldn't budge. I'm now in love with my new scale for the moment. :bigsmile:

I Don't want to sound like a downer, BUT I have No faith in being able to change. Is There Help Out there? And do I want to be helped? :blushing:
  • JoanHolly
    JoanHolly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too am a scale addict. Every morning I step on and it affects my day. Good luck with "recovery". From this addiction. Lol
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options
    Hi Leela,

I'm a scale addict too. Its now so much part of my morning that I'm not entirely sure even as I'm writing this that i want to give it up! I do misuse it I know, if i have a day when i eat bad things and I've not gained the next day I'm always like "Phew! Got away with it!" Its such a bad attitude. Perhaps it would be better to weigh in once a month and have a great big Ta-Dah! moment.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I hate being a scale addict. I weight myself multiple times throughout the day usually. :frown: I only log one weigh in a week though (Thursday mornings).
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I threw my scales (I had 2 because one may be lying to me) out into a snow storm 2 weeks ago.
    Intense!!
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    It's so bad for me, I plan on taking my secondary scale with me when I go visit my family for Easter. I was out there six months ago, and she doesn't own a scale. So I couldn't weigh for a whole week. I came back 3 pounds heavier! I was disgusted because I was still going for walks and trying to eat right. I cannot let that happen again. Even if I could have gotten on the scale every other day, I would have been able to keep myself in check.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Wow - glad I am not alone. My family and friends want to slap me. I literally get on the scale 3x a day minimum. Once in the morning, at least once in the middle of the day and once before bed. I do that whole "predict what the morning will be" thing too. I have a scale in my master bath and one in the kitchen.
    I weigh myself before I eat and after I eat sometimes. There have been days I have weighed myself 10x in one day. It doesn't seem to matter what the scale says, though, I am never happy for longer than it takes to read the numbers. Then I am right back in the negative self talk. If I lose weight I say to myself "its not enough, you should be better." If I gained weight I think "serves you right, you will never be thin, you don't deserve it."

Yeah, I really need help. :laugh:
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    LOL I love this and this is SOOOOO me... if by chance I dont agree with what it says sometimes I will scoot it a few inches and face it the other way and climb back on!!! I have vowed not to get back on my scale until Thursday (which is my weigh day) and I plan on sticking to it!

hahaha, I've done this as well. LMBO.
  • michelle277
    Options
    I'm completely guilty of this. I step on it every morning and every evening. I can see how it's a bad thing, but I also think it keeps me on track and responsible for what I do. However, I wish I could keep it to 2-3 times a week. I feel your pain! :)
  • IdaBetances
    IdaBetances Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Guilty! :laugh:
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    I knew I wasn't alone in this struggle. I read that Jennifer Hudson weighs daily too. So I know its not that uncommon. I think I am going to hide the scale, atleast until Friday. I want to just weigh on Monday (after the weekend) and Friday (before the weekend). I was leaving it out for my husband, but he wants to stay off the scale too. I am going to remove the batteries and hide them separately (kind of like having a gun in the home with children and having the bullets in a different place from the actual gun).
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do this too but I didn't know I had a problem. :smile: I only log my weight in MFP about once a week. I get on the scale each AM, I find it keeps me motivated. If it's up a little, I try harder and if it's down a little, I'm really happy and motivated. And it's working, so I am not changing anything.
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    I'm not exactly a scale-olic, but I made a promis to myself that I was going to judge my weight in INCHES and not lbs. Knowing that the changing muscle fat ratio in my body will give me distressing and unreal scale expectations, and ultimately I will be let down.

That being said, I still can't help myself form hopping on from time to time (I try to limit myself to no more than every 3 days.) I wish they had an inches ticker, instead of the wt. ticker.