HASHIMOTO'S DISEASE

Options
I just left my Dr's office and was told that I probably have Hashimoto's Disease or Autoimmune Thyroiditis. I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid when I was 12 years old ... so that is no surprise but the Hashimoto's Disease caught me a bit off guard.

I guess that Hashimoto's is the most common cause of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is a symptom of Hashimoto's disease. My thyroid level is 18 which is off the charts, despite taking 225 mcg of levothyroxin a day. So according to the doctor, either I'm not taking my medication (which I do religiously) or my thyroid just isn't functioning period. I'm scheduled for a thyroid ultrasound next week to either rule out Hashimoto's or confirm it.

I'm reading about Hashimoto's on the web now and I certainly display many of the symptoms.

I'm just curious if anyone else has Hashimoto's and if so, what do they do to treat it?

Thanks!

Replies

• danielled6875
    danielled6875 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Harris_C
    Harris_C Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have Hashis. My only treatment is Synthroid 125mcg a day first thing in the morning before eating. I have days where I feel sluggish and gross, but for the most part as long as I take the medicine I'm fine.
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    I don't personally have it but four or five members of my family (extended and immediate) do and they take some pill for it every day. they say it works really well, just have to adjust it based on losing weight and stuff. good luck!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have Hashis. My only treatment is Synthroid 125mcg a day first thing in the morning before eating. I have days where I feel sluggish and gross, but for the most part as long as I take the medicine I'm fine.

Yeah, the Levothyroxine 225mcg I take a day is the generic for Synthroid. But they said that it is not doing anything for me at all. They said my levels are so high that it's like I'm just not taking any meds at all.

I guess I'll know more after the ultrasound.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Have them check your T3 levels. Full blood panel of your thyroid. I take a T4 and T3 medicine as well as B12 supplements as a deficiency in that vitamin is also an effect of Hashimoto's!
  • danlkrim
    danlkrim Posts: 7
    Options
    bunp
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Have them check your T3 levels. Full blood panel of your thyroid. I take a T4 and T3 medicine as well as B12 supplements as a deficiency in that vitamin is also an effect of Hashimoto's!

Thanks.

I did the TSH and some other test which turned out extremely high (18). So today they did the full blood panel on my thyroid, and I have to go in for the ultrasound. I'm glad to know that there is a T4 and a T3 med, in addition to the synthroid/levothyroxine.

I already take a B12 supplement, so not sure if I'm deficient or not.

Do you also take Synthroid in addition to the T4 and T3 meds?
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have it or so my doc says!!! He never took an ultrasound or anything. I just take synthroid im only at 137 mcg a day. My levels were not severely under. Ive been taking this dose for close to 2 years and we have not had to adjust the dosage. I still often feel tired and sluggish though. I remember when he got my level to the correct spot he asked me how I felt and I said still tired. He said well your levels are normal. I often wonder if my body is just use to be exhausted all of the time. I hope they figure out whats going on with you!
  • dcollins2
    Options
    I don't have Hashimoto's, but I have had my thyroid removed and take synthoid daily in the morning. It works best if taken on empty stomach and around the same time every day.

One thing I wanted to mention...is that my endocrinologist (A physician who specializes in hormone disorders, such as Thyroid disease) indicated that taking generic thyroid medication like levothroxyine vs trade name (synthoid) medication does make a difference.

Trade name drugs such as Synthoid distributes in the blood stream more evenly than generic brands, therefore regulating hormone level more efficiently. I started off on generic brand medication and had difficulty and later my endo changed me to synthoid and my blood levels are regulated really well.

If your thyroid is not working, then synthoid should be able to regulate it, because your own thyroid is not producing any homone.