Tastes fattening but is healthy

Options

Replies

• sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is not a recipe, but you should try Freschetta Mediterranean Garlic Veggie Pizza (its a frozen pizza from the store)! I tried it this weekend and was shocked by how good it was. There are 290 calories for 1/4 of the pizza, and it it vegetarian. It tasted super buttery and delicious, and the crust cooks really nice, with a lot of flavor and some crunch. :)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    i appreciate the advice on the food, but do not tell me to grow up. I've been feeding myself for over 10 years and I have tried tons of new foods with out success.

Honestly, I wasn't trying to be harsh, but you are not describing a food allergy here, it's a choice.

Eating a veggie isn't going to send you to the hospital with a closing windpipe or hives..

"Picky" is generally an affliction of people with abundance, I wonder how many people from the 3rd world are carrying this "curse".
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Dieting is not just about loosing weight it should be about getting healthy.
    Its time to grow up and start eating right. You can not be healthy and only eat
    Pizza, mac and cheese and spaghetti. So yea I'm telling you to Try other things or force youself. It's not going to kill you.
    You may be surprised. If not your going to be unhealthy forever. What do you want? It's your choice!
  • dls06
    Options
    that chicken sounds awesome. What do you figure for calories on that?

If you take the recipe and add it to the create a recipe it will give you all the information you need>
  • dls06
    Options
    i appreciate the advice on the food, but do not tell me to grow up. I've been feeding myself for over 10 years and I have tried tons of new foods with out success.
    [/quote

Why are you asking us to justify you eating like a? I can't even say 6 year old because my children never ate this way. Did you ever
    speak to a Doctor about this maybe there is a reason you can't eat real food.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I have to agree with your taste changing. I have been eating healthy for 2 months and my taste are already changing. I started small changes..Used to fry my brocolli in olive oil with garlic. Then I started steaming frozen brocolli and adding garlic powder. Now I LOVE fresh brocolli steamed..plain. It does take time. Tonight I made a whole lemon baked chicken and accidentally got some dark meat and I almost gagged. First time I have had dark meat in 2 months and it tasted like pure greasy fat although it was baked. BEFORE all I would eat was legs and thighs..couldn't stand breast. I am not saying to "grow up" but like I tell my DD..at least TRY it, if you don't like it, spit it out. I read someplace it can take 5-10 times of trying a new food to begin to like it so go ahead and taste that AWFUL food 1 more time..worse than can happen is you spit it out in your napkin :)
  • ronnilee1
    ronnilee1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This all sounds great!!!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, maybe you can try adding one new ingredient item at a time. Also, try searching these forums for "5 favorite healthy foods" posts, where MFP people have posted their favorites. Those might give you some ideas for things that are fairly healthy (think fruits, nuts, various meats/fish/poultry, eggs, etc.).

As a side note, I wouldn't tell you to "grow up," but I would advise that if what you're currently doing is producing your desired results, then stick with it; it isn't, try to keep an open mind about others' ideas and suggestions. Good luck on your food journeys :smile:
  • Larode
    Larode Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I saute my chicken on the stove, usually 3 or 4 breasts at a time. After the 2nd day (cuz I get sick of chicken) I put it in the food processor with celery, apples and light mayo. Put it on a high fiber, low carb wrap. Awesome chicken salad.... Low the La Tortilla Factory wraps - they taste great and are good calorie/carb mix. Little high in Sodium....
  • karriesue
    karriesue Posts: 19
    Options
    i also like to use crushed sunchips instead of bread crumbs for baked "fried" chicken!
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump....sounds soooo good!
  • daphne_gets_fit
    daphne_gets_fit Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    TASTE FAT! BUT SO SKINNY!

chicken stuffed with ham n cheese.

Ingredients
    1/4 cup grated Swiss, Monterey Jack or part-skim mozzarella cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped ham (sub w/turkey if desired)
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
    1 egg white
    1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

figured it would be good with steamed Brocolli or mashed sweet potatoes!

Preparation
    1.Preheat oven to 400°F. Use a baking sheet with sides and lightly
    coat it with cooking spray.
    2.Mix cheese, ham, mustard and pepper in a small bowl.
    3.Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of a chicken breast
    half, nearly through to the opposite side. Open up the breast and
    place one-fourth of the filling in the center. Close the breast over
    the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal. Repeat with
    the remaining chicken breasts and filling.
    4.Lightly beat egg white with a fork in a medium bowl. Place
    breadcrumbs in a shallow glass dish. Hold each chicken breast half
    together and dip in egg white, then dredge in breadcrumbs. (Discard
    leftovers.)
    5.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
    chicken breasts; cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes.
    Place the chicken, browned-side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake
    until the chicken is no longer pink in the center or until an
    instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, about 20 minutes.

This sounds so yummy, I'm definitely gonna try this.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    An Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

You have every right to post this topic as it is something that is applicable to yourself. You should be commended for recognizing that you need to make healthier choices and I feel you have been given some very good ideas from most of the responders. Ignore the trolls and try some of the recommendations given.

I love pizza too - LOVE pizza! I do not go without. I make some amazing tortilla pizzas - do a search on healthy pizza alternative on this site and you will see many recipes. On occasion we get the thin delite pizza from Papa Murphys - super yummy!

You can do it!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    coat chicken breast w/ fat free sour cream
    mash up ritz crackers or the ritz "chips"- the garlic seasoned ones are best for this
    dip the chicken in the crackers
    bake in oven

yummm :)
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A great alternative to pizza is to use the Flat out wraps. I always find mine at Wal-mart and I would think bigger grocery stores would carry them too. Pizza sauce is 1/4 cup for 30 calories, then add turkey pepperonis, and whatever toppings you would like with some 2% milk cheese. Hope this helps!
  • dls06
    Options

Honestly, I wasn't trying to be harsh, but you are not describing a food allergy here, it's a choice.

Eating a veggie isn't going to send you to the hospital with a closing windpipe or hives..

"Picky" is generally an affliction of people with abundance, I wonder how many people from the 3rd world are carrying this "curse".

Bump! Time to grow up!!!!!!!!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I love this site and the support that it provides, but I am always surprised at how critical people can be. I realize that people are asking for advice, but it does not mean that it is an open invitation for a lecture. People are here to make a positive change and everyone will get there in their own way and in their own time. Getting started is so difficult and to open up the message board to only to get such negative feedback is discouraging. I think that it is safe to say that it is ENcouragement that we all seek.
  • biellas
    biellas Posts: 39
    Options
    Bump.
  • heididormanen
    Options

I don't think you need to grow up.. and I see why you would be frustrated.. my husband came to me from the midwest where he grew up on casseroles and canned veggies and no seafood at all. What worked to broden his spec of foods was him learning to enjoy cooking (I know a win win for me).. so he loves to tackle cooking projects now and through that has learned was to cook things he wouldn't have normally tried. There are still a lot of things he doesn't like, but sometimes, he surprises himself by changing the cooking method or recipe.

Just my 2 cents
  • sneakers71
    sneakers71 Posts: 106
    Options
    wow - people can be so mean sometimes.

this is a great topic and full of great advice, just leave the crap-talk out of it.