Im new - exercise question

Options
Hi all,
Im new to this site, have been struggling with weight loss for a while now, and have decided I have GOT to do something about it.

Last summer, i joined a personal training session, lost absolutely no weight, but lost inches. I HATE exercising with a passion, and quite frankly cannot afford a gym membership at the minute.

my question is, has anyone lost significant weight without any excercise?

Cheers

Emma

Replies

• lbissett79
    lbissett79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    you should at least walk...
  • cynthiaalewis50
    Options
    Yes, I lost 30 pounds a few years ago, by following Weight Watcher's plan. You can do the same thing by using myfitnesspal.com and record your food daily (everything). Keeping a diary helps you track what you eat. When you're feeling hungry, check out how many calories you have left for the day and plan out your meals. This helped me a great deal. Once I lost the 30 pounds, then I felt like exercising and that helped me lose another 10 pounds.

Try it....I think it will help you. When I exercise while dieting, I don't lose weight, but inches, so I lost the weight first, then worked on the inches.

Cindy
  • Charlie002
    Options
    Without exercise. Strict diet.
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba! It's execise in disguise!!! You burn a ton of calories but you have so much fun doing it. I've been doing that and this website and it's working!!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You can with a strict diet. I can't. I like food. I need to excercise so I can still eat good food. I don't have a gym membership either. When I can't find the motivation to go for a walk, I exercise while watching tv. Mostly just jogging in place, or whatever aerobic move I can think of.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Yes! I have lost all my weight so far by logging my calories and trying to eat healthy nutritious meals (well most of the time)

The only thing I did was 30 mins moderate pace walking to earn me 124 extra kcal because I was quite hungry on 1200kcal a day which was my goal at the time. I also did some sit ups (3 sets of 7, but not regularly)

I hate exercising esp when I have to. So I gave my self a lot of time to lose weight and I did not push myself too hard because I know I don't last too long on will power. Once I started losing weight and feeling lighter and fitter (the 30 min walk really helped my wellbeing too and my moods) I now feel I could maybe do some exercise.

Still thinking about it though....

Anyway, you will never lose weight on exercise alone, but you will on reducing food alone!

Lower the bar for yourself and start with just the calories and don't beat yourself up over exercise until you really feel like it, and you just may!
  • emmylou31
    Options
    I am going to make myself go for walks!!! :-)
  • stella77
    Options
    I am going to make myself go for walks!!! :-)

Great idea! And set it to 20 - 30 mins a day, not more! That really is not a big problem. I sometimes listen to audio books while I walk! It helps pass the time.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the weight won't stay off, because you have to be so strict with your diet it isn't sustainable, for most people.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Emma,
    I certainly feel the same way. For me, its not so much as exercising, but "working out." Exercising can include other activities which I enjoy a great deal, and never ever feel as if I'm working out.

I am not going to knock exercising, because 1) it works, 2) done right it can make you feel wonderful. However, the most important thing to do is to get physically active. As always, it a lot more fun to get physically active with a friend than alone.

Here are just a few "non-working-out" activities that I've done in the past where I lost some weight:

Tennis
    Gotta be one of my most favorite physical activities. Around here there are public courts, several leagues for all levels. Most of it is very inexpensive, and way cheaper than a monthly fitness club membership. For years I've been away from the game. This year I've slowly gotten back into it, and my body is becoming a fat burning furnace.

Dancing
    Wife and I signed up for dance lessons through our county's Park and Recreation. Actually, it was a blast, and hope to sign up again.

Photography
    Yep, I've lost weight taking photos. Actually, I was getting off the sofa, and traveling to various locations (state parks mostly). Got in some hiking, enjoyed the outdoors and took some nice photos. This experience reminds me that getting active is whole lot healthier than sitting on my....err...sofa.
  • stella77
    Options
    Yes, but the weight won't stay off, because you have to be so strict with your diet it isn't sustainable, for most people.

It will! If you don't go over your maintenance calories. (once you reach your goal weight) And maintenance calories are plenty!
    I have done that pre-baby for my entire life. Of course, at some point you become flabby with no exercise, but that is another story!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The only thing with not working out while loosing ,is you lose lean muscle,wich is counter productive to your weightloss:bigsmile:
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think that if your ONLY goal is to lose weight, yes, you can do it by adhering to a strict "diet." However, if your goal is to overall become healthier, I think that you should incorporate some type of physical activity into your lifestyle. Try not to call it "exercise" or "working out." You can take walks (make sure you're walking at a brisk pace where you can't easily have a conversation), go for bike rides, go for hikes, rollerblade, etc. If you have a smartphone/iPod, definitely load some fast-paced songs on it and listen to it while doing these things. Also, see if you have a friend who wants to be active with you. This has definitely helped me to be accountable and stick with being physically active.

Good luck, and have fun being physically active!