How do YOU beat stress eating?

Options
I am struggling with stress eating. When I am having a stressful day at work I used to use food to calm my nerves. I am finding it hard to find a replacement. Yesterday for example was an extremely stressful day at work. Nothing was satifying the food cravings. I finally broke down and ate some chocolate and felt much better.
I need some tips and advice

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me to,I have to walk away and do something eles until it passes.I also remind myself of all the hard work i've done and that usually stops me in my tracks
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    When my daughter used to have this problem she woud grab her phone , and go for a long walk or run , she would not take her purse so she could not be tempted to go for a snack or coffee, good luck!
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    it is a tough one for sure, most likely my biggest issue :(
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's an addiction, and I have a particular mindset I use with addictions.

If you realise that every minute you feel terrible, that's your body readjusting to the lack of food; that the awful feeling of craving food IS progress in its own right; the worse and longer the misery, the more your body is readjusting and healing... that means that the cravings are no longer a miserable byproduct of not having eaten, but they are your body realising that it needs to learn to cope without the chocolate when its stressed.

Curing addictions like this are horrible, and they'll require hard work and dedication. But the cravings ARE part of the healing process. Eventually your body will readjust and you'll manage without stress eating.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I started going for runs instead if I found myself wanting to eat.
  • seekandfind
    Options
    I can't say I have a total handle on this even after many years. But..
    --I walk away
    --I walk, literally
    --I get mad (other don't like this one, but it works sometimes)
    --I think of my hard work that I have done
    --I promise myself in 30 min. I can have what I want, or tomorrow morning I can have all that I want.
    - I call and tried and true friend First to talk out my feelings even for 10 minutes.
    --I repeat repeatedly This Will Pass and let time pass.
    --I try not to have as many junk foods readily available. If it takes effort I might feel better by the time I go get it in my car.
    --pray
    --eat veggies or fruit with the chocolate, meaning some of each to fill me up.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling stressed (or any other sort of emotion that used to send me reaching for food), I find something active to do. Anything to help release the stress and distract me from the thought of food. You probably won't be able take a long walk during working hours, but walking away from your desk and maybe walking up and down stairs for 5 minutes or finding a quiet corner in which to do some stretching for a few minutes can help to shake off some of those negative feelings. You could also try some chair exercises if you can't leave your desk. You might feel a bit silly at first, but then that silliness might also help relieve the stress. If you absolutely must eat something, find something really crunchy like carrots or sugar snap peas. I find that "crunch, crunch, crunch" very helpful when I'm in a "mood."
  • Gr8_body4life
    Options
    I've used gum. They have this new dessert gum that s only five calories a stick. It gives you that need to chew on something without ruining all the hard work you've put in! And yes its an addiction, but one you will win over! Just keep pushing through, it will get better!
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Luckily for me the stressful days are rare. And although I cant get away from my desk I can take a breather for a few minutes. Next time I might try walking out to my car and getting some fresh air.
    I also thought about having some listerine at work LOL After you use that NOTHING tastes good for a while HAHA
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i sometimes find a piece of gum helps
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this myself just yesterday. Even blogged on just this topic. I didn't handle it too well. I was so afraid of binging that I didn't eat at all. I think next time I am going to try to go for a run or walk to work out my thoughts, stress, anxiety, etc. One thing I have turned to for a little stress is tootsie rolls. I have one or two of the midgee size. It is chewy, so it takes a bit to eat and covers the chocolate fix as well. Two pieces are 47 calories. I guess for the most part that is probably going to be the hardest thing for me to find a new coping technique for. It helps to know that I'm not alone, hope that may help you too. :flowerforyou:
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    I also thought about having some listerine at work LOL After you use that NOTHING tastes good for a while HAHA

This is an awesome idea, stick to your diet and have great breath! lol.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I found brushing my teeth early in the evening stops me picking for the rest of the evening.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The brushing of the teeth is interesting. I have heard of that.

I don't very often crave, probably because I make sure I have some of my cravings almost every day! e.g. I have one square of very dark chocolate after dinner with my 3 oz glass of red wine (both are supposedly good for you - antitoxins). And I use olive oil on salad. And natural sweeteners like local honey and maple syrup = not every day but certainly every other. I think healthy natural eating as much as possible (and let's face it, you are very busy), I think it really helps.

And exercising every day, even if only in 10 minute bits - that seems to help.

Good luck - just don't give up. And don't be too hard on yourself if you do cave. We all do at times.
  • amenadenine
    amenadenine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I ask myself "What feeling am I trying to avoid?" As hard as it may be I try to have that feeling. If I eat I will have that feeling and the guilt of over eating. It's hard and it does not always work but I try.