Cardio Everyday?

Options
I started going to the gym last year and have worked my way up to doing an hour on the elliptical at the highest level Monday though Friday i also lift weights every other day then i walk three miles Saturday and Sunday, Now my question is am i doing to much cardio should i take at least one day off a week to rest I have heard a lot of opinions and now I'm confused. Please help !

Replies

• wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing some resistance training too? Its better in teh long run than too much cardio.
  • Radford89
    Radford89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you should have a rest day as well but both my partner and I are doing cardio everyday but have gone on the theory that so long as we are not overworking ourselves and feel up to doing it then it shouldn't be a problem.

Just if you feel you need a rest then take it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I would say just listen to your body :)
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You're doing GREAT!! I'd stay stick with it until you begin to plateau..at that point you might want to think about changing your regimen to challenge your body more.

I wish I could do that much cardio! At the moment, I meet with a personal trainer 3x a week, followed by 1 hour cardio on the treadmill. Gotta love those little TVs on the machines!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Cardio everyday is not a bad thing, but be sure to get a rest day in there somewhere.

Also, I wouldn't do all out cardio days back to back. Throw in some variety. Do some tread-mill, or a stair machine, etc. Also, mix in some interval training. You'll get a lot more out of your cardio sessions that way, as opposed to doing the same resistance and incline on an elliptical every single day.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I agree! I do cardio every day, and walk/run about 50+ miles a week. If I start feeling tired or washed out I take a day off - last weekend I took Friday and Saturday off, then went straight back into the deep-end of cardio workouts on Sunday, feeling great. Sometimes I don't take a day's time-out for weeks...
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It can be confusing for sure.

When in doubt ask yourself these questions:

1 - Is it working? ie. am I achieving my goals?
    2 - Do you feel good? are you tired or refreshed?
  • KKButter
    KKButter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by resistance training I dont want to sound dumb but they say you there are no dumb questions lol
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the walking, that's kind of normal every day life. I don't do cardio every day, but I try to do 3 or 4 sessions a week either running or aerobics. I wish I was doing more at the moment as I am doing a lot of strength training but not the cardio to balance it out, and I feel like I am putting on weight.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You need to take at least 1 rest day a week from exercise... Rest days are important...
  • KKButter
    KKButter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thank you Adam that makes a lot of sense to me plus it gets pretty boring doing the elliptical everyday i do the different courses it offers but still boring :tongue:
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Resistance training could be weight training or doing exercises that use your own body weight like push ups, lunges, squats, one legged squats etc.

Cardio everyday is fine if you feel good and it's not wearing you out. Remember that your body has gotten used to what you do on the elliptical, try a different machine and shake things up a bit it will keep your body guessing and working harder.

Good Luck to you!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Every morning, my body tells me that it wants every day off.
  • Radford89
    Radford89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Sounds like excellent advice to me!