How to stop

Options
I can't stop myself finishing a packet of biscuits/a large portion of anything, even when I know I'm full.

Any tips on how to stop binging?

Replies

• ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    Simply, I always ask myself, "Do I really need this?" and the answer is always no.

If you have a bad day, that's one thing, and you can pick yourself up the next day and continue on. But if it happens daily, you may want to consider getting some help.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The way I was able to stop eating past when I was full was simply by eating slower, taking smaller bites, and then drinking water while eating. This way, I gave my brain time to catch up with my stomach, and I realized that I was really full with half the amount of food I would have ate before. To avoid eating a larger amount, you can also start off with less on your plate (Maybe half of your usual portion), eat that slowly, and wait a little after eating before deciding that you want seconds. Usually, if I decide to eat seconds, it's like half an hour after dinner and it is because I truly am hungry, not binging.

Good luck!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I can't buy the big bags of things. Cookies are complete no-go's in my house. If you know you don't have the willpower yet, don't let it in your house. If you have to have things like that for other folks, either have them lock it up (seriously-we have a locked cabinet in our house and I made my husband lock up the girl scout cookies and hide the key-how pathetic is that?!??!) or buy the single serving packets. You will think twice about opening up another packet of 100 calorie cookies if you just polished one off. Also, drink some water. (now if I could follow my own advice, life would be great!)
  • MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    Options
    When you get the package out of the cabinet measure out ONE serving into a bowl or onto a plate and ONLY eat what's in front of you.

changes in the human brain begin 10 minutes after eating and peak for about 4 minutes. The changes correspond directly to increases in blood sugar and insulin levels. By eating more slowly, you can give yourself time to feel your fullness signals. You can take a 2-minute break midway through your meal if you'd like or you can simply eat more slowly. To slow down naturally, choose foods that require work, such as shelled nuts, soybeans in the pod, lobster and mussels in the shell, fresh artichokes, and oranges in the peel.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no clue. I've been trying to start with the smallest portion I can mentally get away with. Then -- once I've finished that and argued with myself on whether I really need 2nds -- I'll get another tiny portion if I decide its needed. Also -- I had to stop eating out of the package. Yummy things that you can only have 4 or 6 or 14 peices -- you know those -- I have to count them out -- and put the package away. If I try to eat 4 little cookies out of the package -- it goes so fast that next thing I know my hand meets the inside of an empty package.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When you get the package out of the cabinet measure out ONE serving into a bowl or onto a plate and ONLY eat what's in front of you.

changes in the human brain begin 10 minutes after eating and peak for about 4 minutes. The changes correspond directly to increases in blood sugar and insulin levels. By eating more slowly, you can give yourself time to feel your fullness signals. You can take a 2-minute break midway through your meal if you'd like or you can simply eat more slowly. To slow down naturally, choose foods that require work, such as shelled nuts, soybeans in the pod, lobster and mussels in the shell, fresh artichokes, and oranges in the peel.

Ditto this. I used to be unstoppable when it came to my chips - I am a potato chip fiend and could eat a whole can of Pringles if it were in front of me - and I would! But since I started watching what I eat, I will count out exactly what I want (usually only half a serving, but if I've been really good maybe a whole one), and put the rest right back in the cupboard out of sight. That's made it a lot easier for me to stop after I've had a serving.
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    I give leftovers to the dog. And things he can't eat, I pour down the garbage disposal with dish soap. It's SO hard, I know! I'm still working on it too...
    Best thing to do is not have anything tempting in the house.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I've got better but it's still an issue at times. Mostly I just don't buy snacks - if they're not there I can't eat them. If I do want some thing like biscuits I tend to buy the single serving packs (like those 2 finger shortbread packs). That way once it's finished, it's finished:flowerforyou:
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    i buy snacks like those 100 cal pkgs they are great for a sugar fix and if you need chocolate buy some dark chocolate break the bar into individual little squares and freeze it the nwhen you want some pull out one square and let it melt in your mouth that way yyou can savour it
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I keep baby carrots for munching on. Let's face it, you can only eat so many of those babies!
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i buy snacks like those 100 cal pkgs they are great for a sugar fix and if you need chocolate buy some dark chocolate break the bar into individual little squares and freeze it the nwhen you want some pull out one square and let it melt in your mouth that way yyou can savour it

I think the is the best suggestion ever posted on MFP!!!!! LOL
  • MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    Options

I think the is the best suggestion ever posted on MFP!!!!! LOL

Hey, I thought mine was.. LoL