Need a change or Need to increase?

Options
I have been working out for YEARS! In 2008 I was the smallest I have been in a LONG time. I still continue to workout, in fact..the classes I attend at the gym are classified as "High Intensity". About a year ago...I could no longer maintain my weight and have continued to gain weight. The classes I attend change up routines, trying to help avoid plateaus. I have only gone up one size in pants, which isn't tragic...however, I would like to stay that smaller size. So...my question is, where I have been at an intense level so long..is it required to workout for longer periods of time...or even go MORE intense with my workouts? Or could this possibly be resolved by a change up in routine...such as working out at a different time, etc.??? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i would say you need to start mixing it up. also, do you do strength? plus... are you eating enough?? maybe your metabolism has changed? do you eat regularly throughout the day? are your food choices highest quality?
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Can you post your diary or an idea of how many calories you are consuming and burning in a day etc. Did you start gaining a little back gradually or did you just now start gaining at all after maintaining weight?
  • brockkoryrachel
    brockkoryrachel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 1500-1600 calories daily. I burn on average 600 calories daily. I eat 5 times a day...breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. I drink 90+ oz daily. If I'm being honest, I probably consume more carbs daily than I should.

pilotgirl2007: I have never really "maintained" weight, I have to constantly work on losing. The weight gain has been gradual. I quit weighing myself regularly because it was making me depressed, so...when I would weigh in, which was about every other month...I had always had a gain :(
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1500 to 1600 calories a day and then burning 600 of them off you are really only giving your body 900-1000 calories to use just to function let alone anything left to maintain your fitness level. If you never maintained weight and started gaining it back after you lost it I would say that you need to eat more calories.

If you don't eat enough calories then you go into starvation mode and will gain weight. There are lots of forums on here that talk about starvation mode so I won't get into that but that is what it sounds like to me. I did the same thing I lost 50 lbs and kept eating next to nothing while running and teaching aerobics etc and gained it all back... once you start eating more you will gain some weight back but it should level off. If you want a good resource for how many calories you should be eating check out www.fat2fitradio.com they have a great podcast as well.
  • brockkoryrachel
    brockkoryrachel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks dear!