How much water do you drink daily?

Options
I am now drinking about 9-11 glasses of water a day. I have cut out drinking sodas or juice, except for the occasional V-8 Splash. But I keep hearing that I am drinking too much. Can there be such a thing? Outside of wearing a trail from my desk to the ladies room, I am fine.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Straight water - 1 glass and one water bottle full. I also drink 3 cups of tea day, and usually 3 or 4 of peppermint tea.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I drink between 8-12 cups per day, usually.
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    I'm doing my best to drink my 8 glasses a day. But, a just diagnosed kidney infection is going to up that water intake quite a bit! And boy do I hear ya on the wearing a path to the restroom!!! LOL
  • rahneeshewolf
    Options
    actually you can drink too much in a day. the body in a sedentary lifestyle (sitting all day) really only needs about 8 cups of liquid in a day. if a person is more active or plays sports all day then they do need more to make up for what they are losing in sweat.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I typically drink between 4 and 6 liters. Yes, liters. I think you're doing just fine.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. I will have a daily coffee (I will not give that up lol), a monthly 12 fl.oz soda and V8 every week. I think I drink about 2-3 liters of water a day, but I work out every day and build up a good sweat. When I can't sleep, I will drink hot chamomile tea with honey. I also drink a cup of almond milk a day.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Usually about 7-8 Liters (so around 40 cups I guess?) I know that's a ton but I also am very active.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's fluid in general, not just plain water...

I have usually 11-14 glasses of fluid a day.

1 coffee, 1 green tea or hot chocolate and 3L of no added sugar squash.

Although this week I've been rushed off my feet and not using this much - I can feel the difference BIG time with now being dehydrated!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I keep it between 6-8 glasses usually but if I do a really intense cardio session I will drink until I don't feel thirsty anymore.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i drink 12-15 cups of water a day.
  • Hammie18
    Hammie18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty, so between 5-8 glasses a day. I don't try to meet a water quota, I just drink when I'm thirsty. A WebMD article states that:

"A 2002 study published in the American Journal of Physiology questioned the old recommendation of 8 ounces of water, eight times a day. After a thorough review, researcher Heinz Valtin concluded there was inadequate evidence that healthy adults -- living in temperate climates and not engaged in rigorous activities -- need large amounts of water.

For normal, healthy adults, Valtin recommended simply drinking when thirsty. And he reported that even caffeinated drinks can count toward satisfying our fluid requirements.

In February 2004, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) issued new recommendations that agree with Valtin's findings. The new guidelines remove the eight-glasses-a-day recommendation, and say healthy adults may use thirst to determine their fluid needs. Exceptions to this rule include anyone with a medical condition requiring fluid control; athletes; and people taking part in prolonged physical activities or whose living conditions are extreme."
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I drink 12-16 8oz cups per day. I only drink when I am thirsty!!
  • peanutrenee
    peanutrenee Posts: 179
    Options
    i only drink water so i do about 3.5 fill ups of a 20 oz btl of water.
  • jms023
    jms023 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to drink too much water, but if you are spacing your water drinking out throughout the day you should be fine drinking that amount. Someone who drinks a very large amount of water in a short period of time can die (I always remember the news story about a radio station contest a few years ago in which participants had to drink a huge amount of water in a set period of time, and whoever drank the most won a video game console. Well, the woman who won also died a few hours later because she diluted the electrolyte balance in her body way too much). So, if you do not feel any discomfort and you are spacing your water consumption, you should be fine. Just don't force yourself to drink ridiculous amounts of water in a short period of time.
  • caws1111
    caws1111 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink way more water than the suggest 8 - 8oz glasses and with no problems.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've recently been getting around 10 8oz servings of water. But right now I'm sick with sone head congestion and feel constantly thirsty so today I'm up to 13 cups!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I've been known to be between 9-21 cups a day (lmfao). I carry a 56oz bottle with me and just refill it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how much some of you drink!
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I drink two 1 liters of water every day. I always carry it with me so temptation is never an option to drink anything else. In fact, had a diet coke earlier and tossed it and went back to water. I am however, not EVER going to give up my coffee in the morning at work.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I drink about 12-14 8 oz cups a day. But a lot if it is during/after working out. And I also work out multiple times a day.