HCG.

Options
I know it's a semi-popular "treatment" method on MFP but I'd like to give a head's up.

Not only is the marketed weight loss hormone HCG made from pee (I'm sure you're all aware of this), and completely ineffective (proven many times), but it may also carry very serious hazards to your health.

There is no donor tracing currently in place that checks for the presence of mad cow disease, and the proteins that transmit this disease to humans (prions) can be passed by HCG.

Please read the article and study linked below for further information.

http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/2011/03/29/human-chorionic-gonadotropin-wont-help-you-lose-weight-may-give-you-mad-cow-disease/

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0017815

ETA: a pleasant recap of major points from the article:

"1. hCG is obtained by misleading pregnant women who think they are donating their urine to help people get pregnant,
2. hCG is no better than a placebo in promoting weight loss,
3. The (nonsensical) demand for hCG in the treatment of obesity has resulted in increased costs for people who need hCG for legitimate uses, and finally
4. hCG may give you mad cow disease"

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Great information. I wish more people would do a little research on their own before they waste their money and risk their health going for a "quick fix"!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Carl. I feel the same.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Considering the doctor my mom works for promotes this Diet and is the lead Physician for Olympic boxing team, you should probably do some research into all sides.

Narrow mindedness is what leads to battles. Yes there are cons to EVERYTHING but for alot of people all it takes a Placebo to keep you going.

Now he will NEVER reccomend the OTC HCG diet. You should only go through a licensed professional.

Hell the FDA aproove prescription appetite suppressant I was on for 3 months is INCREDIBLY controversial among physician because it can possibly raise BP and honestly I can tell you from first hand experience if you dont make the changes for life the weight comes right back (not my first time on Adipex) But its safer then the OTC Thermogenics people take well more then prescribed of on top of energy drinks.