Stevia

ronda_gettinghealthy
ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys-anybody have any ideas or thoughts about this? Especially my Organic friends-- I have never tried it, I always used honey or raw sugar to sweeten, but at 50 cals a spoon honey is on my endangered list for a while. Dont -make that Wont use Equal or Sugar Twin- but as much as I like my organic herbal tea, it is really better tasting a bit sweeter. I have been throwing extra mint leaves in but........ Just curious

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    hey!

I do use it occassionally but to me the taste is sort of licorice-y. Not a fan of it really but is a better alternative that pink, yellow or blue packets.......

I'll keep watching for others ideas.

:smile:
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    LOVE stevia. i prefer to buy it in bulk from my nutrition store in pure form. it's called nustevia. truvia and many other options add "filler" and some do have an odd taste. i have completely transitioned away from aspartame etc. when i can... it's SO MUCH BETTER FOR YOU to use stevia instead. and it's very sweet! i use it in my plain oatmeal, and greek yogurt and coffee regularly!!!

ps honey or agave are "good" choicse but are still "sugar" tho not refined....
  • I use Stevia in my tea and it's really sweet, almost comparable to Sweet N low (the pink one), without the carcinogen after taste. hahah seriously i used to use Sweet N low all the time, but switched to Stevia because it was more natural. I just use about half pack in my teas because I enjoy a splash of lemon juice more. Give it a try.
  • I am a honey user also but when I can't afford the calories I do use stevia or splenda as a substution.:smile:
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    I don't have much experience with Stevia - I heard a lot of good things though, and decided to buy some. Well - at the organics store, there were a bunch of different kinds, some had an added ingredient that I'd never heard of, and then others were just "pure stevia leaf." So I went for the "pure stevia leaf powder."

All I can say is, DON'T get that one. True to word, it's actually just crushed stevia leaf, which means it has this weird herby flavour to it. It's definitely sweet but I can't add it to anything because of that strong overtaste. I assume the stuff that uses stevia *extract*, with whatever that added ingredient is, tastes less like you're chewing sweet grass.

I also got a killer killer headache shortly after trying it, but I have no idea if it's related or not. Would have to use it a few more times to check the correlation but I'm not sure I want to, haha.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    If you get actual Stevia from health-food stores then giver, I enjoy it, I'm putting it in my herb garden this year, whether that's a window-sill box or actually in the garden I haven't decided.
    The truvia / purevia you find at grocery stores is processed and contains filler/ bulkers as the actual Stevia has something seemingly crazy for a conversion I think my info slip says 1 cup sugar is replaced (sweetness wise) by 1 tsp of Stevia, where the truvia / purevia with their bulking may be closer to 1 cup to 1 cup.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    i have never used stevia but i use truvia. its supposed to be all natural from plant leaves, but im no expert on this by any means. all i know is that it doesnt have the artificial taste of equal or sweet n low and from what ive read....is a healthier choice than splenda.
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    I don't love the taste of it either, it doesn't just taste 'sweet', it has it's own taste as well, so putting it in tea kind of changes the taste of the tea. Not good. But I still use it because, like you said, it's a better alternative to sugar and honey calorie-wise, and it's natural so better than all the fake sweetner crap IMO. Give it a try and see what you think yourself!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I loooooove Stevia. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but it is worth it to me.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Try Truvia or Stevia in the Raw, both very good Stevia Products
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    read the label.. avoid anything with ANYTHING other than "stevia" or the technical word for it... here is what my label says: NuStevia Pure Stevia Extract Powder in 1 lb jars and 1 kilo bags do not contain anything but the pure Stevia extract.

here is the website: https://nunaturals.com/product/46

it is by the LB at the store i get it from.... i LOVE IT.
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Try Truvia or Stevia in the Raw, both very good Stevia Products

Agree... I use Truvia in my coffee. It's comparable in price to other sugar alternatives and once you get used to the slight aftertaste, you dont even notice it. I love it. Use it everyday!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Thanks--I am going to give it a try!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Is Stevia considered to be an artificial sweetner?
  • ronda_gettinghealthy

is Stevia considered an artificial sweetner????
  • Ok, maybe I'm not in the loop. What is stevia, just another sugar substitute?
    I tried splenda, but it didn't agree with my kidneys.
    I use equal and have no problems.
    Guess I'm a BBBAAADDD girl!!:cry:
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    from what I understand it is a natural sweetner from the Stevia plant in South America-supposed to be organic and better for you.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    I use stevia products. Truvia and Ideal are the ones I use most, and I have used Stevia in the Raw as well. I have dipped strawberries in Ideal, and I do not notice any aftertaste. Have eliminated aspartame and sacchrine from my lifestyle. You can find stevia based soft drinks at Whole Foods and I have seen a brand called Blue Moon. Don't like too much. I have grown a stevia plant, they will get pretty good size, nice for a 14" pot. I take the leaves and wash under running water, crush or muddle in the bottom of a glass and ad unsweetened ice tea in the summer. Ummmm good!
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    I love it.
    Someone else said that it's expensive (for my blood), but so worth it.
    So much better than that other stuff I was taking.
    Try it.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    I use stevia products. Truvia and Ideal are the ones I use most, and I have used Stevia in the Raw as well. I have dipped strawberries in Ideal, and I do not notice any aftertaste. Have eliminated aspartame and sacchrine from my lifestyle. You can find stevia based soft drinks at Whole Foods and I have seen a brand called Blue Moon. Don't like too much. I have grown a stevia plant, they will get pretty good size, nice for a 14" pot. I take the leaves and wash under running water, crush or muddle in the bottom of a glass and ad unsweetened ice tea in the summer. Ummmm good!

Where did you find a stevia plant-at your nursery or did you have to order it?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    http://www.mckenzieseeds.com/product_detail.aspx?productID=132402 is where I'm getting my pack of stevia seeds for the garden
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    thanks for the info!!! :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    For health reasons I say google it. Anything that has been processed this much?
This discussion has been closed.