When sick and dieting?

Options
I have come down with the flu. :grumble:

Doctor wants me to stop counting so many calories, and to eat soup, some meats, and lots of water.

Now, Soup has SO much sodium, and most have many many many calories. :noway:

Please, any advice on what you do when you get the flu while dieting?

Besides drinking up water and juice:drinker: . And eating, resting etc.

Thanks guys.

I really love being a member here and look forward to your advice.

:flowerforyou:

P.S. Don't get the flu, it really really sucks to bluntly put it. :indifferent:

Replies

• mamajones
    Options
    I have come down with the flu. :grumble:

Doctor wants me to stop counting so many calories, and to eat soup, some meats, and lots of water.

Now, Soup has SO much sodium, and most have many many many calories. :noway:

Please, any advice on what you do when you get the flu while dieting?

Besides drinking up water and juice:drinker: . And eating, resting etc.

Thanks guys.

I really love being a member here and look forward to your advice.

:flowerforyou:

P.S. Don't get the flu, it really really sucks to bluntly put it. :indifferent:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I don't watch calories when I'm sick. I had a wicked icky flu-like illness a couple of months ago, and I ate what I wanted. It wasn't much, but it included mashed potatoes and my husband's homemade macaroni and cheese. But I was so sick I was more into sleeping than eating and it didn't do me any harm. Please just eat what sounds good and when you feel better then you should count calories again. Being sick is one of those times where you should just be concerned about feeling better, in my opinion.

Hope you feel better soon!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor worried about your caloric intake being too low?

When you're sick, you need more calories to support your immune response. You will be making more cells than normal and maintaining a higher body temp, and you need extra energy to do so. Listen to your doctor--eat soup because it provides calories and hydrates you. There are plenty of soups with reduced sodium, and unless you have high blood pressure now, eating a few cups of full-sodium soup isn't going to cause any problems. You'll be drinking water regularly, so you're not going to retain much, if any. Eat maintenance and don't exercise for a couple days, and you'll recover much faster than if you maintain your deficit and add extra stress to your body.
  • mamajones
    Options
    A few months ago I was eating twice the ammount calorie wise than I should have been. I slowly got back down to a normal calorie intake (around 1800-2000). I was eating around 4,000 everyday. (TV dinners, and anything I could cook fast in the microwave was my meals due to being a new mom and all that fun jazz). But since my son is 1.5 years old now, I am eating much healthier.

Thanks for your advice.

I also just quit smoking yesterday, lol.
  • jree435
    jree435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Check out both progresso and campbells soups for reduced sodium option healthy choice also makes soups.

When you're sick you already don't feel like eating so when you do make sure you eat well. When you're sick and getting to the bathroom seems like too much work, Healthy choice dinners, soups, and other quick things are what you need to keep your body working.

There will be plenty time for counting calories when the flu is done :laugh:
  • carak2000
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking. If you are really sick you should definitely focus more on taking care of yourself than on counting calories. Progresso and Cambells both have lower calorie and lower sodium versions of their soups, so they would probably be good for you. Just try to take care of yourself and eat what you need to stay healthy.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I think that when you are sick it is a really good time to listen to what your body is craving. I was sick a few weeks ago and for some reason I only wanted pizza and orange juice! I listened to what my body wanted, got lots of rest, and was better in no time.

Cravings come in two varieties - impulses and biological. If your body is really asking for something, it is probably b/c it needs it.

I wouldn't bother counting calories. Pizza and OJ probably wasnt the best plan, but I felt better! No need to make yourself worse by not listening to your body and your doctor!

Feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I got a head cold and had a hard time eating - I just didn't feel like it. It was actually difficult getting to that 1440 cal mark! I sure as heck didn't exercise!

Soup? Make your own - thereby controling how much sodium goes in, and probably better for you. I know, you're sick, you probably don't feel like it. Buy a low sodium style .
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Actually, most broth based soups are quite good for you. It's those cream soups that get you.

So, I'd recommend getting some all natural broth based soups (or get some chicken or veggie broth and make your own).
    Stop worrying about it too much... you'll worry yourself sick (or prolong it).