Metabolic Profile Self Test

Options
rivlong
rivlong Posts: 29 Member
I've just done the simple test on the following website to determine my metabolic type.

http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html

Since I've been doing my fitness pal I've been more or less sticking to a diet of 50% protein, 30% carb and 20% fat and found that really easy to stick to and have not been over eating or feeling hungry. When I did this test it said I am a protein type and the ratio of nutrients are pretty spot on to what I have been eating for the last month. I've never heard of metabolic typing before, but just thought it was interesting so thought that I would share.

Has anyone else done this type of testing before and/or follow a diet according to metabolic type.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    That doesn't help! I am type 3 - can eat anything.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    That doesn't help! I am type 3 - can eat anything.

same here.
  • rivlong
    Options
    For type 3 it says you should have around:

40%-45% Protein (Proteins = Meat, Fowl, Seafood, Dairy)
    50%-55% Carbohydrates (Carbohydrates = Fruits, Vegetables, Grains)
    10%-15% Oils/Natural Fats (Fats = Butter, Oils, Fatty Foods - ex. nuts, seeds, cheese, other fatty foods)

So you could try fiddling with your settings on here and see if it makes any difference.
  • Hoplost
    Hoplost Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link it was interesting to try, I'm Profile 3.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I am a profile 2. Which makes sense since when I was seeing a nutritionist, she wanted me to focus on high protein, low fat foods. Thanks for sharing!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Says i'm protein type which which is how I am eating, But all the fruit they mention are the very ones I will not touch...and I prefer the veggies in carb type profile.

Perhaps there should be a Mixed up crazy type!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna check this out. Interesting to know my type.
  • Kiwidacute
    Kiwidacute Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a type 1 which I think is pretty accurate! I can't function without my fruit and carbs, but don't feel like I need much protein.I also love dessert and sour things. Very interesting. I felt under pressure to up my protein take and even cut down on fruit, but now I don't feel that way. It is amazing how your natural insticts are usually very truthful.
  • rivlong
    Options
    Well, I am a type 1 which I think is pretty accurate! I can't function without my fruit and carbs, but don't feel like I need much protein.I also love dessert and sour things. Very interesting. I felt under pressure to up my protein take and even cut down on fruit, but now I don't feel that way. It is amazing how your natural insticts are usually very truthful.

I totally agree with listening to your natural instincts. I also tend to listen when I crave things (that aren't crisps) as I will sometimes crave stuff like tomatoes or something salty and tend to think that this occurs when something is missing from my diet.

Also I've always been slightly on the acidic side, but since I've upped my protein intake I've neutralised my pH alot, and from doing some further reading on this subject, I see that this is often quite common with type 2s.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I did a longer, paid metabolic profile and ended up more protein-type than I thought I would. I find it very hard to get that level of protein the diet calls for, and still get in any fruits and vegetables. I have dropped grains down to a tiny percentage of my diet, but otherwise, I haven't changed much. I am not feeling a huge difference. I blogged about my trials with the diet at the start, because I had noted headaches as a primary problem, my program took away all wheat, soy, nuts, milk, and almost all the fruits. I just couldn't stick to it. I am trying to be aware of the basic tenets, but am biding time until I can get a screening for food sensitivities that will give me a better idea of the diet I should (and shouldn't) be eating.

I am fond of the idea of the metabolic typing diet because it takes into account our genetic background and the diets that would have been native to our ancestors. I hate the "one diet works for everyone" approaches. Good luck with it, and keep in mind that as your body stabilizes because you are feeding it properly, you will need to tweak your diet to find just the right foods and combinations to keep you at your peak.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm type 3 which is very accurate. I will eat protein, fruits, spicy, sour & sweet. My energy levels aren't noticeable effected by one or the other differently. I eat small meals and I eat frequently...sometimes it feels like I eat all day lol However I think I tend to eat more protein then anything. When I shop thats what I look for. I want most of my foods to have less calories, lower sodium and some protein.